electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
WaveDraw Oscillator
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: WaveDraw Oscillator
Subject description: draw your own waveshape
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in building block mood today. Smile

This one uses the control-sequencer to represent a waveform as 16 linearly interpolated points, enabling you to draw a waveform of choice.

The circuit is 100% aliasing-free (as you can hear from the demonstration triangle wave). It sacrifices accurate tuning for for this, but is still usable.

Idea Assign a morph group to all the sequencer sliders with different ranges each, to seamlessly morph from one waveshape to another. Cool

WaveDrawOsc TK.pch2
 Description:
draw your own waveshape

Download
 Filename:  WaveDrawOsc TK.pch2
 Filesize:  1.33 KB
 Downloaded:  2099 Time(s)

Vel-Ryphon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Explanation Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I'm a beginner with the Nord Modular G2, could you help me understand the purpose of the blocks you used in this patch ?

I really thank you.
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome Vel-Ryphon

I'm not going to explain the complete Patch; only some suggestions how to start an investigation...

At first use the Manual or even more handy, use the Help file in the Editor. All Module Inputs and Outputs are described.

Then take a look at the OscMaster1 and try to figure out what's coming out of its Output. It isn't a 'sound like' signal, but a value derived from the Keyboard. What's happening at the Lever Scaler Module (double click on the body of the Module to find its name) and read the Help file. How does it effects the incoming values? What will the Mixer do to the signal? When will the Compare Module meets its value to send a Logic signal? And last but surely not least, what will the Value Switch do and when to make the Sequencer Module move to the next step? (Why does the Switch only use one Output and what are the consequenses for the next Module in line when it's switch to 'on'?) Also the X-Fade 100% setting is important.

At the end you'll find out this Patch just generates a triangle wave form Smile
Only, you'll have 16 different points to create another wave form...

At last change some parameters and listen what happens and try to find out 'why' it happens.

IMHO it's the only way to study the Nord Modular Smile

Wout
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All this hassle just for a triangle wave Embarassed

... Laughing
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes!

It's worst: in a way analysing a rather small Patch as this one is also crawling into your head, because you told the story first Very Happy

I see a Nord Modular Patch as a story. The Modules are the sentences where the parameters and the In and Outputs are the single words. Indeed, it's a language in which things like using a Module in another way it would be used normally, it's the same as creative use of words. Some month ago I analysed the Classic Patch 'Wind Up Toy' by Keith Crosley, a famous story Smile

Wout
torsig1967

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: WaveDraw Oscillator

tim wrote:
I'm in building block mood today. Smile

This one uses the control-sequencer to represent a waveform as 16 linearly interpolated points, enabling you to draw a waveform of choice.

The circuit is 100% aliasing-free (as you can hear from the demonstration triangle wave). It sacrifices accurate tuning for for this, but is still usable.

Idea Assign a morph group to all the sequencer sliders with different ranges each, to seamlessly morph from one waveshape to another. Cool

OK I don't understand this 100% but I've done quite a similar patch but using another technique. I sent the output of a sawtoth (converted to positive values) oscillator directly to the control sequencer input. This should sweep 0-64 in a steady rate but it definitely produces aliasing and I wonder why that is. What's the difference?

I tried making a pure square wave using this and it's sounds a bit dull. What's the purpose of the Xfade? Seems to me it's only low pass filtering the signal.
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: WaveDraw Oscillator

torsig1967 wrote:

OK I don't understand this 100% but I've done quite a similar patch but using another technique. I sent the output of a sawtoth (converted to positive values) oscillator directly to the control sequencer input. This should sweep 0-64 in a steady rate but it definitely produces aliasing and I wonder why that is. What's the difference?

A sawtooth waveform from a standard oscillator is anti-aliased, meaning the flanks are smoothed in order to prevent intermodulations with the system frequency. It is this procedure that makes a regular sawtooth oscillator unideal for this application, as the smoothed flanks will unwantedly sweep the controlsequencer table, generating inharmonic sonic junk. (That's why it works much better when using a triangle or sine waveform, as these have no steep flanks. However, these waveforms will not read out of the controlsequencer in the intended fashion.)

My DIY sawtooth oscillator produces a perfect sawtooth without needing anti-aliasing. This is achieved by limiting the oscillations to only integer amounts of samples per period. That's why it sacrifices accurate tuning and tuning resolution. However, it makes it possible to drive a ControlSeq in the intended manner without aliasing artefacts.

torsig1967 wrote:
I tried making a pure square wave using this and it's sounds a bit dull. What's the purpose of the Xfade? Seems to me it's only low pass filtering the signal.

Yes, indeed. The Xfade parameter determines the amount of linear interpolation between the 16 steps of the control-sequencer. For a perfectly steep flank, you need to set this to zero.

best,
tim
peterkadar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is really cool. I'll be expanding on this and posting shortly.

Thanks a ton,

Peter K.
peterkadar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tim,

so I made a basic synth using two of your wavedraw oscs. I included a filter, sub osc, and a noise source. What I'm trying to do now is find a way to a) automate the waveform readout with a sequencer or b) automate the random parameter for wavesequencing type effects. I couldn't get the first thing going, and the only way I can get the wavesequencing thing going is by tapping buttons 7&8 under parameter page A3. I assigned Waveform Random in the 2nd osc to CC16. Now if I can only get a sequencer or something to turn that parameter on and off I could have automated wave sequencing without tapping those damn buttons.... Can you help me out?

WavedrawSyn.pch2
 Description:
Press buttons 7&8 under page A3 for wavesequencing. Still working on how to automate it...

Download
 Filename:  WavedrawSyn.pch2
 Filesize:  3.69 KB
 Downloaded:  1587 Time(s)

torsig1967

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: WaveDraw Oscillator

tim wrote:

My DIY sawtooth oscillator produces a perfect sawtooth without needing anti-aliasing. This is achieved by limiting the oscillations to only integer amounts of samples per period.

Ah, that's really clever. I'll have another go trying to understand how it works.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: