electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Alvin Lucier recreation
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Alvin Lucier recreation Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'm trying to recreate a score by Alvin Lucier. There's a tape with oscillators in it and in the description it reads:
"Oscillator 1 rises from E4 to E6 at 18'' per semitone, descending back to E4 at 22''."

I tried a lot with the LFO Shape Osc, but I don't get a steady movement - it's faster in the beginning and slower in the higher register.

I also don't like the quite audible changes in the tone. There are still too many steps, it's not really smoothly rising and falling.

Finally I have no clue how a constant module modifies the direction/rate ratio. I know what it does but I can only guess _how much_.

Mayby it's a good idea to count 24 times 18'' up and 24 times 22'' down, instead of doing the whole thing at once, but I don't now yet how to realize that. Any ideas in either or another direction?

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Alvin Lucier recreation Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:

"Oscillator 1 rises from E4 to E6 at 18'' per semitone, descending back to E4 at 22''."

At 15ips that would be a period of 64 seconds, with the rise time being 45% of the total period?

something like...

alvin.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  alvin.pch2
 Filesize:  996 Bytes
 Downloaded:  1616 Time(s)

sebber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately it's a bit more complex than that. The whole "swing" from E4 to E6 and back takes 16 minutes. It goes up a little faster, taking 7'12'' at a rate of 18'' per semitone and down 8'48'' with 22''. I don't need the semitones themselves, it's one big sweep.
There's another sweep in the opposite direction, but that's easy enough if I find the solution for the first one.

I've got two problems:
the sawtooth doesn't go steadily at a pace of 18''/semitone but is faster in the beginning and slower in the higher register. I don't understand that, I expect a linear behaviour from a sawtooth. The note quantizer is just in there to prove the point, it shouldn't be there.

The other thing is that I do hear certain "steps" in the sweep, which I don't want to have in there.

Finally I've got modulators for both direction and rate in there and don't really know how all these interact. Well, I know what they do, but I don't know if I can really calculate exact times with them or if I should rather look at them as being knobs on a virtual analog synthesizer.

All this leads me to think, that doing it in one big sweep might not be the best solution, but I'm a bit stuck right now.

I remember having read about the longest possible sweep or so (Jan??), does anybody have an idea what my brain is trying to tell me?

Ian-s, you're right, the ratio is 9:11, that's 45% to 55%. I don't know what IPS is.

LucierX.pch2
 Description:
Trying to get a real nice sweep over two octaves in 16' time.

Download
 Filename:  LucierX.pch2
 Filesize:  1.58 KB
 Downloaded:  1480 Time(s)

sebber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, found the main mistake myself. It wasn't the Osc's fault that the sawtooth wasn't linear, but that I sent it through an X-fade that was set to exp. Embarassed

One question remains: how exactly does the direction input on the OscShape work? In the help files it says:

Osc: 200Hz, dir input: 64; Osc=200Hz
Osc: 200Hz, dir input: 0; Osc=0Hz

OK, I get that. Is there a way to calculate exactly this:

Osc: 200Hz, dir input: (126(bidir)); Osc=198,42?

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sebber wrote:
I remember having read about the longest possible sweep or so (Jan??), does anybody have an idea what my brain is trying to tell me?

Ian-s, you're right, the ratio is 9:11, that's 45% to 55%. I don't know what IPS is.

A little over 7.5 hours I think .... being 64 semitones below 699 s, or 699*(2^64)^(1/12), maybe even slower by inputting less than -64 into the rate input of an LFO.

I think Ian read your " symbol as inches and not as minutes, in that case IPS would be Inch Per Second, or tape speed.

Are the steps you are hearing really there or is it a psychological phenomenon? I did a little test where I have two oscillators frequency modulated by the same signal (an LFOShapeA in asymmetric triangle mode) but one going through a sample and hold set to sample about twice per minute, I then hear a very gradual change in the beat frequency ... whereas when I run the swept one on its own my ears seem to quantize ... weird Shocked

The dir input is a linear frequency control input, but 126, 127 and 128 settings are a bit odd at times, as step is missing. I checked it for 64 and 32 and 48 (32 -> 48 :: 7 semitones, 32 -> 64 :: 12 semitones).

Will attach my test patch, probably you'll want to set it faster as it's really going sloooooooooooooooo .....

.... ooooooooooow

now

Wink

slow_sweep.pch2
 Description:
slow sweep test patch

Download
 Filename:  slow_sweep.pch2
 Filesize:  1.48 KB
 Downloaded:  2215 Time(s)

sebber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I heard the tone/sound (not the pitch) change in certain time intervalls (ca. 0.3s) when the LFO that changes the OSCs pitch went through the logarithmic x-fade. It's not there when the x-fade is linear. I thought I could literally hear the machine calculate. (OK, now, wait, not so fast, slowly, here she comes, gee, what a beauty, there's another one, lift it up, lift it up, slooowly)

I now have the ShapeLFOs at 44% / 55% respectively and the rate input is controlled by a constant of 48 (112). That's pretty close to what I want, but I sat there with a pen counting seconds for a while.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: