electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
EQ problem
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: EQ problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been using the G2 in quite a few compositions recently, and I've found that for alot of sounds I've had to do a fair bit of EQ work in the lower mid range section. These sounds are mainly leads, and have been used in electro/"nu skool breaks" and progressive house/trance tracks. It could be a problem with my monitoring situation at the moment, and I may be compensating for a problem with my room's acoustics... or it could be poor patch programming Embarassed

The reason why I find it hard to tell one way or the other is because drums in this style of music are heavily processed, EQ'd and compressed, so I'm referencing my sounds with the drums I create. I constantly compare the sound, levels and space of my drums and bass to the sound of other breaks/progressive tracks, so I know I have them "right". But when adding in some G2 synth sounds, there are sometimes some harmonics and peaks around the mid range that stick right out.

Does anyone else find they have to EQ the mid range of the G2 a fair bit to get it to sit right in an electronic/dance mix?
professor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I EQ just about every lead sound I create. I try not to touch it too much, but a little subtractive EQing always works well for me with lead synths when trying to make them "sit" right. On the other hand I prefer to filter bass lines, drums, rather than EQ...if I can in order to preserve as much of the life of the sounds as possible.
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm. I haven't noticed an issue with low mid EQ, but that may be due more to a difference in the musical context or the type of patches we make. Can you post a couple of the patches here? Someone might be able to determine what's causing it and offer a fix.

I HAVE noticed that a HF notch at about 10 - 12kHz is often helpful to remove excessive HF energy due to the transients caused by the vertical wavefronts in sawtooth & square/pulse oscs, but this doesn't sound like what you are talking about. (I refer to the oft-touted 'warmth filters').

BTW - Rob H - A while ago you demonstrated a new type of warmth filter that created a gentle 'tilt' to the spectrum, slightly boosting the lows & slightly rolling off the highs, but with a very gradual slope, like a Pultec EQ. This was done with a pair of multimode filters & some kind of inverting scheme I think. But now I can't find it! Can you post it here or tell us where to find it?

Afro88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Dave and professor. It probably is stylistic differences, alot of dance stuff has to be super clean and controlled, rather than natural and dynamic. Even dirty techno stuff needs to be "clean" dirty (take The Crystal Method for example), otherwise it's a "crap mix".

Anyways, here are a couple of examples, and their corresponding patches. In the first, I have EQ'd out the harmonics that trail after each sound, which are usually in the lower mid range. I really like the timbre of this sound, and the release on the instrument gives it a nice floaty feel. The second one is a patch done by Roland Kuit called DX noise4. I love the haunted spacey feel of it, but had to EQ alot of the lower mid range out of it again for it to sit right. These are by no means release tracks, just things I'm playing around with at the moment...

Bassline7.pch2
 Description:
Song exerpt 1 lead patch

Download
 Filename:  Bassline7.pch2
 Filesize:  2.11 KB
 Downloaded:  1552 Time(s)

Last edited by Afro88 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Afro88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And here's song 2's patch. For some reason it wouldn't let me attach it to the last post...

DX noise4.pch2
 Description:
Roland Kuit's DX Noise patch. Song excerpt 2's patch.

Download
 Filename:  DX noise4.pch2
 Filesize:  1.92 KB
 Downloaded:  1656 Time(s)

paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would suggest the issue is with the choice of kik drum sounds..sounds like you are having to scoop out low-mid from your synth to make room for your kik..

both kiks seem to have a strong low-mid transient attack and blur the synth sound , thus requiring you to thin out the synths wuth eq so as to not lose the punch of the kick

Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: EQ problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Afro,
sorry for the late reply, i'm busy with a new show, so i'm patching a lot.
I have a good head set, that's my first listening mode.(volume not so loud:) After this i listen it on my home stereo. And the last step is to listen it on a p.a. system at my school. Sometimes i have to adjust the patch,
get less low or more low in, it's very depending of the speakers you use.
What's sounding good at home, can be a bit 'flat' in a live situation. So i see my mixer as a extension of the NM's and G2 i use. And like the professor stated, i try to keep as much liveness in the sound.
Rob

G2 patch files: 109

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:

BTW - Rob H - A while ago you demonstrated a new type of warmth filter that created a gentle 'tilt' to the spectrum, slightly boosting the lows & slightly rolling off the highs, but with a very gradual slope, like a Pultec EQ. This was done with a pair of multimode filters & some kind of inverting scheme I think. But now I can't find it! Can you post it here or tell us where to find it?

A description is at www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/ under the Workshops and tutorials link. Its in the chapter named Common filters and the subject is named "A very nice and overeasy tone control", somewhere halfway the TOC at the left side. Just repatch it from the example picture.
Note that the settings on the mixer below the filters is crucial, they have been carefully calculated to create just the right psychoacoustic effect.

Btw, I beefed up the graphic layout of the workshops a bit, though no links to actual patches yet. Still, I just did add a couple of pages on filters.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, Rob, you've really made your tutorials better than ever. A great resource for G2 owners, and synthesists in general.

And, BTW, thanks for dedicating the tutorials to our forum. What a distinctive honor. Hail the Master Hail the Master Hail the Master Hail the Master Hail the Master

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ThreeFingersOfLove

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It appears to me that clean tracks are minimal in nature and extremely carefully EQ processed. This is not always the way to go as they often appear to be separated: they don't blend well together. Your mp3s sound nicely to my ears. Maybe you need some extra EQ to make room for certain sounds. All this have to fit nicely into what is called the "audio window".

Yannis
Afro88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the help guys. A friend of mine with very good ears came around yesterday and had a listen to my speakers. He also heard some kind of boost in the low mids and suggested moving my desk around a bit to find a better position. This explains why I'm hearing so much low mid in some G2 patches, and also why my kick drum choice or EQ was off.

Thanks for the help Roland, 3fingers and paul. I will have a listen to some of my mixes on a few different systems and compare them with other commercial tracks, see where I'm going wrong EQ wise.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: