electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
My twin SN-Voice
Page 1 of 18 [428 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: My twin SN-Voice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi DIY-folks!

I'm just finishing up a modular rack which includes two Henry/Stites SN-Voices.

I just finished wiring up the first one:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

RATS NEST! haha - I've got no experience in etching so I did it the old-fashioned point-to-point way. I used a couple of BCD code switches to control the on-board mixing. They're hooked up to a 556 timer Smile

And here's the panel-design:

(including a CGS Bi-N-Tic, CGS Synthacon & Polivoks)

Cheers,
michel

sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh by the way, a big thanks to Thomas Henry & Scott Stites for this lovely project. I tested it and everything seemed to work fine Smile

I'll have samples soon.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow - pretty cool stuff!! I'd love to hear sample of it, especially with your mods. I'll point Thomas to this, he'll probably get a kick out of it.

Cheers,
Scott
sneakthief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Samples tomorrow, I promise Smile

Re. 556 Mixer - the switch that's labelled 555 on the top will have three settings:

left position - 1/2 of 556 controls 5 volt on/off pulses to envelope mixer
middle position - no 556 control
right position - both 556's in action

should be fun!

background: the SN-76477 has 8 different possible mixing modes that are controlled by 3 pins on the mixer:

And I stole the idea from here:

questionable

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool. Look forward to some samples.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice work. I really like the front panel work. Who is the manufacturer name and what are the part numbers of the pots you use? Also, who is your source for the knobs?

I do have a suggestion for your breadboard. You can commit them to to PCB's fairly cheaply if you use "Express PCB" prototype services. You can get (3) 2.5" x 3.8" double sided boards for $51.00 bucks plus shipping. I know you are in Berlin so I don't know how much that would be.

http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Costs.htm

Look forward to your sound samples !

Bill
questionable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The knobs are the same ones that I'm using.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/627/1465.pdf

They're the two color soft touch knobs towards the bottom left corner of the page.

sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Re. Pots - they're 16mm Alpha's from Futurlec.com - $0.50 each but cheaper when you buy over 50 or 100. They have a beautiful stiff fluid feel, but probably only have tolerances of ~10% - in the worst case scenario, a 100k pot may only go up to 90k.

Re. Knobs - oh I love 'em! Questionable is corect - they're the soft-touch Rean knobs that Blacet uses, but with a shinier surface. I got mine from http://www.rapidonline.com/ in the UK for 9p apiece ($0.17US).

Re. PCB's - I mainly make a living from music so I have more time than money *lol* So making my own PCB is fun - besides, I also don't have any circuit layout experience! So in the end it was quicker for me to solder it point-to-point.

Re. Front panel - thanks for the nice words, State Machine! Once again I'm using some ghetto-ass embossed Dymo for labelling. Not exactly purty, but certainly old-school Wink

Samples coming later on today, I promise. I haven't done the v/oct calibration yet, so it'll sound a wee bit atonal Wink

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks guys (Questionable and Sneakthief) for your replies! Yes, I enquired about those knobs because they really did look like the Blacet ones! Thanks for the info on those!

Quote:
Re. Front panel - thanks for the nice words, State Machine! Once again I'm using some ghetto-ass embossed Dymo for labelling. Not exactly purty, but certainly old-school

The black finish is very striking AND the knobs are all in "straight lines"! I love it! I am a bit compulsive about those sorts of things Very Happy Thats OK about the labels, I have three SSM2164 VCA based prototypes I am building and those front panels are done with my Brother P-Touch label machine ... GRIN ....

Quote:
Re. PCB's - I mainly make a living from music so I have more time than money *lol* So making my own PCB is fun - besides, I also don't have any circuit layout experience! So in the end it was quicker for me to solder it point-to-point.

I understand, sure. I have wire wrapped and did P2P for a great many years if the frequency of operation justified just such a method. Perfectly valid my friend! Higher frequencies and more "sensitive" type circuits required a copper clad board for a ground plane and I then used "dead bug" soldering techniques (IC's on their backs with wiring soldered directly to the IC pins). The ultimate was the use of a PCB.

I find though when doing wire wrap style prototyping, I like to use component carriers (16 PIN DIP TYPE) and solder resistors, caps, diodes, etc .. onto them, put those in WW sockets and then wire wrap them as if they were IC's. This will produce a much tighter fitting board.

After my current project, I have two SN76477's to build up a nice dual SN voice also! I plan a PCB for it also.

I also have a "Speak Jet" chip I have been wanting to do a design with complete with MIDI control: (I really think this is cool !!!)

http://www.speechchips.com/downloads/speakjetusermanual.pdf

http://www.speechchips.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=5&gclid=CLOmsrGQ9IcCFSGtYAod7BEkfg

Chat soon,
Bill
sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bill, before you run off and layout a PCB, you may be interested in the following: I was chatting to Tim aka Servo at Magic Smoke: he designed a PCB and was testing it last I heard from him. I may be able to twist his rubber arm and see if he'll share it.

Re. knobs - on Blacet's tech page (http://blacet.com/tech.html), he lists his knobs:

Rean knobs (Mouser 550-67002)

sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Noise CV output mod? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott - do you think the following DSC2000 Noise Clock output mod is possible for the SN-Voice? (as seen on the Cynthia DSC)

It seems to be grabbing a CV-output signal from pin 16 & buffering it. Would this disturb the delicate PWM setup the you guys designed?

Quote:

Mod 3: Bring out the filtered noise clock as a separate CV output.

This mod is my personal favorite, allowing you to use the Dark Star's noise clock and filter circuits to modulate external VCOs instead of the internal one, to modulate filters, or as its own audio source.

USE THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE IF YOUR BOARD IS MARKED REV 0 (old issue):

Parts required: hookup wire, either one jack or one SPDT switch. You'll need a sharp X-Acto knife to cut one trace.

Find IC4 on the pcb (look to the lower left, with the board oriented so you can read the CHAOS logo.) It's a quad opamp, but only 3 of the 4 amps are currently used. We are going to use the 4th opamp to buffer pin 16 of IC9, the main sound generator IC. This signal gives you the output of the noise clock and clock filter. The output of the opamp can go to either its own dedicated jack, or a SPDT switch (shown next to the output jack above) which you wire to switch the output jack between this signal and the normal output signal. You will be working on the solder side of the pcb. First you must cut a trace from pin 10 to pin 12 of IC4, which grounds the (previously) unused input to the opamp. See here for the correct location to cut. Solder a hookup wire from pin 12 of IC4 to pin 16 of IC9. Remember that the board is upside down, so don't get your pin numbers confused. Then solder a hookup wire from pin 14 of IC4 to either your output jack or your output switch. Remember that the clocked noise signal will run continuously, since you have tapped in before the built in VCA. Also, only the CLOCK and FILTER pots will have any effect on the sound when using this output.

USE THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE IF YOUR BOARD IS MARKED REV A (courtesy John Blacet):

Parts required: hookup wire, 0.1uF mylar cap, 1M resistor, 100 ohm resistor. You'll need a sharp X-Acto knife to cut one trace.

Locate IC4 and cut the trace going to pin 12 on the component side of the PCB (you need to do this before board assembly.) Assemble the rest of the board in normal fashion, then wire the 0.1uF cap from pin 12 of U4 to pin 6 of U8. Wire the 1M resistor from pin 12 of U4 to common. Connect pin 14 of U4 thru the 100 ohm resistor to the CLK OUT front panel jack.

What we are doing here is using a spare opamp section to buffer the output of the noise filter. The cap is used to center the signal around ground; it normally has a +V bias. The 1M resistor is used as a current source for the opamp section, and the 100 ohm resistor is for opamp output protection.

Note that this output will always be on, regardless of the GATE signal.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/ds_mods.htm

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think if it's buffered, it really shouldn't affect anything - it's something I've thought about doing meself.

Cheers,
Scott
sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: SN-Voice Samples Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK you sample-freaks, here you go!

1. http://sneak-thief.com/modular/sn-pwmdisco.mp3
PWM + LFO - Can you believe it? I haven't even calibrated the 1v/oct yet and it tracks pretty good. The higher octaves need a bit of tweaking though.

2. http://sneak-thief.com/modular/sn-noise.mp3
Digital Noise - the one and only! Think Yars Revenge, baby.

3. http://sneak-thief.com/modular/sn-creepy-oscillations.mp3
LFO Modulated Pulse, AC de-coupled - the lfo is normalized to the FM-exponential input jack. It gives nice alternating octaves here, among other fm-goodness.

4. http://sneak-thief.com/modular/sn-spacely-sprockets.mp3
Triangle Output - just messing around with the lfo+FM for some weird FM-ish timbres. The evil distortion monster bit me in the ass when I recorded this 'cuz I wasn't paying attention to my levels Sad

5. http://sneak-thief.com/modular/sn-spunk.mp3
PWM controlled by Envelope - some weird spacefunk.

(Sorry I used my crappy laptop line-in to record this - and I added a touch of 'verb+delay just for your listening pleasure)

sneakthief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

btw, the 556 mixer isn't ready yet - samples for that are forthcoming. actually, i'm just gonna call it a "555" from now on. it sounds better. i don't care that it isn't Confused Cool

Last edited by sneakthief on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
questionable

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the sounds, sneak. good variety of sounds from that little project. adding it to my to-do list right now. Smile
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Bill, before you run off and layout a PCB, you may be interested in the following: I was chatting to Tim aka Servo at Magic Smoke: he designed a PCB and was testing it last I heard from him. I may be able to twist his rubber arm and see if he'll share it.

Sure, that would save time! I will purchase a PCB or two from him if he is willing. Let me know, or, should I contact him myself and say "Sneakthief" sent me? Very Happy

Thanks for the cool sounds BTW !!!!
sneakthief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

State Machine wrote:
should I contact him myself and say "Sneakthief" sent me? Very Happy

Thanks for the cool sounds BTW !!!!

No prob - after posting all those pics, I think I might be lynched if I didn't Twisted Evil

I have no idea if he's going to make pcb's - I e-mailed Tim and am awaiting his response. At the very least I think I can twist his arm for a layout.

questionable

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If Tim is reading this, I'd be interested in a PCB as well if he goes that direction.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, dang - how did I miss these samples yesterday?

Great work, Sneakthief! I'm going to have to link to this thread from the SN-Voice page.

Cheers,
Scott
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If Tim is reading this, I'd be interested in a PCB as well if he goes that direction.

Well, If he does not, I will, so I will make extras. I will have to keep track of this sort of thread because this type of subject has come up before where some people want PCB's that others have done. Maybe a another topic area called "DIY PCB CHAT" or something ... ??

For now, If I make a PCB available for a project, I will just post an announcement in the DIY area so keep your eyes open for them ... Very Happy. For the past few months I have been doing a large project for myself and that has taken up large amounts of my time. When thats done, I can try and serve the DIY community more often.

Bill
sneakthief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't heard back from Tim yet, so I'll assume that he's busy with Magic Smoke-related items and doesn't have time.

Bill, I think that would be fantastic if you made PCB's! I would definitely buy a couple from you Smile

questionable

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I'll keep my eyes peeled for your announcement.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Bill, I think that would be fantastic if you made PCB's! I would definitely buy a couple from you

I just wanted you guys to know what I plan for this PCB. I am not a big fan of "flying leads" off my boards so I plan to use 0.1" spaced MOLEX "KK" series vertical locking headers on the board so that a proper connector housing can be connected to the board. I will supply all the part numbers from the "Mouser" catalog for the mates. This will include housing and terminal part numbers. They are very inexpensive. No need for a crimper since soldering does a nice job.

I will also be using the 8-Pin DIP package for the "super matched" transistor pair.

The board will be designed for the SN76477 0.6" WIDE DIP package. If I get enough requests, I will also accommodate the "skinny" package also. I will just have to get the dimensions and make a custom printed circuit "footprint" for the skinny device.

I also plan to place an on-board 5 volt regulator to eliminate the requirement of a 5 VDC input.

I am in the midst of entering the SN-Voice schematic into the layout software.

I will be on vacation next week but will pick up on this when I get back.

Bill
questionable

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds great. Thanks!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Sounds great. Thanks!

Your welcome! Just got done making a custom library component in the schematic editor for the SN76477 IC since I had none in my library. The schematic is coming along.

Bill
Page 1 of 18 [428 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: