electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Thomas Henry Strikes Again
Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Thomas Henry Strikes Again
Subject description: Another very cool VCO by the Man from Mankato
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From way up north, Mankato way, land of a thousand lakes and even more synth designs, comes a new VCO design from Thomas Henry. Grab your spare 3080 and put it in a safe place.....

Thomas calls it a workhorse VCO - Expo FM, Lin FM, triangle, PWM and one hell of a pure sine wave. On top of that, in typical Thomas Henry fashion, it is an elegantly simple design - I was amazed at how quickly I breadboarded it. But, don't let the simplicity fool you - this thing has got an *amazingly* accurate 9 octave range and it plays beautifully. I love this little VCO already. Page to come, schematics, PCB layout, the works.

Here's a quick sample of it - no big musical event, just the VCO piped through the Mankato filter I've had on breadboard since the summer of 2004. I modulate it here and there with an LFO, and the PW is modulated by another LFO (the wave heard is the PWM wave). And, of course, I use my patented Too Much Reverb(R) effect. Of course, it's the Thomas Henry keyboard controlling it.

Remember, this is with no tempco with a patch held together with alligator clips. I spent about three minutes tuning the VCO (it tuned easier than any VCO I've ever dealt with, don't know why - of course, I haven't tuned it to the gnat's ass yet - I'm having too much fun Very Happy ).

Coming soon to an Internet Near You.

Scott

th_VCO_mankato.mp3
 Description:
New Thomas Henry VCO through ancient breadboarded Mankato Filter

Download
 Filename:  th_VCO_mankato.mp3
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Downloaded:  2248 Time(s)

Last edited by Scott Stites on Wed May 23, 2007 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds pretty sweet!

Any idea when the details will be available?

Cheers,
Adam-V.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As soon as I can get the info organized and up on the web page - I'm hoping in a week or two.

Cheers,
Scott
The Alison Project

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can't wait, always welcome more mr. henry designs.
Adam-V

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
As soon as I can get the info organized and up on the web page - I'm hoping in a week or two.

Awesome stuff Scott.

Adam-V.
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That VCO & the Mankato make one dandy of a pair Very Happy
-justin
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds very sweet Very Happy

I've got 18 spare CA3080's upstairs- hooray!

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
janvanvolt

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Same here, i lock my 3080's Smile

I can't await the PCB of the VCO and the Mankato. Count me in for both -definitely-
Photon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great News! Very Happy
I've got a generous mittenful of 3080's stashed somewhere.

The amount of projects this forum has been generating lately is almost stressing me out! Laughing

The Man from M.A.N.K.A.T.O.... awesome. cue the John Barry theme music.
WWBJD

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Of course, it's the Thomas Henry keyboard controlling it. "

?

I've been looking to build a keyboard.. is the design of this available somewhere?
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Scott. Let me tell ya, that sample you put up sounds absolutely beautiful! I gotta build this new VCO and the Mankato filter. I have a decent stash of 3080's, about 30 of them! Its time to use some.

pete

Photon

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WWBJD wrote:

I've been looking to build a keyboard.. is the design of this available somewhere?

This design originally appeared in TH's book, "Build a Better music synthesizer". There is an active thread about it here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-17815.html
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"A Mittenful of Secrets" Laughing

I feel your pain about the number of projects, but it's only going to get worse Very Happy

There's even more than this VCO coming.......

Cheers,
Scott
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

I feel your pain about the number of projects, but it's only going to get worse Very Happy

Laughing Shocked Laughing

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bravo !!!! Wow, very nice sample. I am impressed!

Thanks Scott !!

Very Happy
Bill
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

YES ............. AND ..... I will also have a announcement to make VERY soon about another release ... NO, not the UD-1, you guys know about that already. So stayed informed and check the forum often !!!

Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get this feeling that I'm the unlucky copy of myself that got stuck in the parallel universe that never had the Henry synthesizer sitting next to the Moog in Tomita's studio. Or maybe I'm the lucky one - I can afford this synth Very Happy

I'm thinking the web page will be very soon. Thomas sent such a wonderful narrative, I don't think I should alter a word of it - I'll probably concentrate on formatting it for the page and let you all read it as it should be read - I just got done reading it myself, and walked away with a much clearer understanding of expo converters and transistor based Schmitt triggers than I ever had before.

Quote:
YES ............. AND ..... I will also have a announcement to make VERY soon about another release ... NO, not the UD-1, you guys know about that already. So stayed informed and check the forum often !!!

It's OK, Photon, I got this one..."Oh, the pain, the pain....." Very Happy

Indeed exciting news, Bill! In the meantime, I'm off to check what this UD-1 business is all about.

Cheers,
Scott
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know about equal tempered and just intonation, volts/octave and octave/volt, but I'm unfamiliar with "gnat's ass" tuning.
Coriolis

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Quote:
YES ............. AND ..... I will also have a announcement to make VERY soon about another release ...

Quote:
In the meantime, I'm off to check what this UD-1 business is all about.

Argh...can't...keep...up...(rattle) Hail the Master

C
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm hoping to have a usable page up by the end of Monday, just to keep you all on your toes Very Happy

Quote:
I'm unfamiliar with "gnat's ass" tuning.

It has been proven that the frequencies produced by the flatulence of the common midge (often referred to as a gnat) at sea level closely follows the mixolydian scale, in very, very high C. This is opposed to the stepped range generated from the expulsion of methane by the common fruit fly, which is generally pentatonic, though there is considerable variation among species. However, it is the midge that is consistently mixolydian across all species. Thus, the reference to "gnat's ass tuning".

This is also explains the common term "I'm gassier'n a mixolydian fungus gnat", made famous by John Wayne in the 1962 Paramount Pictures release "Chitin and Git'in".
kokoon

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

It has been proven that the frequencies produced by the flatulence of the common midge (often referred to as a gnat) at sea level closely follows the mixolydian scale, in very, very high C. This is opposed to the stepped range generated from the expulsion of methane by the common fruit fly, which is generally pentatonic, though there is considerable variation among species. However, it is the midge that is consistently mixolydian across all species. Thus, the reference to "gnat's ass tuning".

This is also explains the common term "I'm gassier'n a mixolydian fungus gnat", made famous by John Wayne in the 1962 Paramount Pictures release "Chitin and Git'in".

Shocked
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kokoon wrote:
Scott Stites wrote:

Shocked

Shocked Shocked

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, "I'm gassier than a mixolydian fungus gnat" is a great pick-up line in Kansas." Very Happy

Actually I was waiting on a slow SW load, and the mind began to wander a bit...

Speaking of slow SW load, VCO-1 page is done....topic coming up.

Cheerio,
Scott
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

I also liked the definition from the urban dictionary, which states that a gnat's ass is about one tenth of a skosh (which is equal to approximately one nudge of the dial, amounting to something much less than a pussy hair).

see

Page 1 of 2 [35 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: