electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Electro-Music Klee Sequencer BOM and Poll
Page 1 of 4 [86 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next

Is a parts kit for the board set something you would be interested in?
Yes, I would consider using a parts kit, even if it might cost slightly extra.
65%
 65%  [ 26 ]
No, I've either got the parts onhand and/or prefer ordering my own.
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 40

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Electro-Music Klee Sequencer BOM and Poll
Subject description: Would you want a parts kit?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it's another pesky electro-music Klee Sequencer poll.

I've attached the preliminary Klee BOM to this post.

If you're planning on building the electro-music Klee Sequencer, we're interested in knowing if a parts kit would be something people would be willing to purchase or not. We've lassoed a well-known and trusted member of electro-music into actually uttering the words "I would supply a parts kit for the boards if there is enough interest." I have a copy of that statement on my computer, and another stashed in a safety deposit box in my bank, so he's stuck.

Anyway, this poll is to help make that decision - just to see if it's a viable option for peope. Please take a look at the BOM, and if you would, mark "yes" or "no" on the poll. I don't have a price point on this, but I don't know as it would be all that more expensive, if at all, than buying the parts individually - certainly it would save the hassle of poking through Mouser, Digikey, RS, etc on your own. This is for only the board parts - personal preference would vary so much on panel parts, we don't think we could narrow it down enough to make a kit that would appeal to more than a few people.

I have not approached Mosc on the idea, but ideally we'd like to sell such a kit through the electro-music store.

As for this BOM, I recommend waiting for the protoboards to be built before ordering any board parts. I say this because, up until now, the Klee has only existed on the breadboard, and I would really like make sure there are no surprises before you go down the path of <DOH>.

The panel parts are pretty much fixed in stone, I'd say, except for the LEDs. But, I'd feel better if you all held out on those as well. I don't want to be the guy whose picture you throw darts at because you have a pile of unused parts under your bed.

On the breadboard, I'm using "normal" red LEDs, but I thought it might be nice to recommend the 2mA because the Klee lights up like a Christmas tree, whereas a normal sequencer lights up sequentially like a row of Christmas trees, I figure a smaller current would be a good thing.

As it is, the Klee on my breadboard has been churning out current for nearly a year, with no ill effects, but I'd still like to see what the 2mA LEDs do for it.

I'm waiting on one more opinion on the silkscreening from the master PCB designer before I make the proto order.

Four sets of protos will be ordered, and reviewed by four people. This will ensure that (A) The Klee is not a figment of my imagination (AFAIK, I'm the only one who'd ever operated the EM Klee) and (B) Nothing is missed in the detail. We truly want to deliver something that you will be pleased with.

Thanks, and best regards,
Scott

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just figured out I converted the wrong copy to PDF - that version didn't have the IC sockets or panel jacks, so here's rev 2. That should be it.

Cheers,
Scott

Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am starting to like a kit cause I have so many things piling up and still have a infintile parts stock, mainly resistors and some odd and ends. Plus the kits are so much more affordable here in DIY instead of the big dogs where a kit costs $259 and a completed module costs $279. Whats up with that. So I voted yes, but I won't be heart broken if I can't buy a kit. Scott you broke my heart a long time ago Very Happy Smile Smile
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With a kit, one can just sit down and get on with it- a bit like knitting I suppose. Okay, fine if you already have stocks in a dedicated workshop, but if (like me) you don't have a workshop, and you have a partner with a keen eye for tidiness, kits are cool! Cool Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

only thing that seems like i'd need to scramble for will be the 100K 0.1% Metal Film resistors... also seems like the price break you could get buying a bunch might help pay for effort of putting together the kits.

also, on the bournes trim pots: are those layed out straight across (3296w), or staggered (3296y)? i always have to have the wrong one's one hand
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just do what George Costanza does - ask yourself what you'd order, then order the opposite Very Happy

Obviously the BOM will have to be fleshed out with more detail - I appreciate these questions, it helps get a grip on what info is needed. The PCB files offer some nice info I'm going to have to take advantage of.

In any event, all of the trim pots are the "in-line" type. The 10K trim pot is listed as "Potentiometer - BC CT94W or Murata PV36W or Bourns 3296W" in the PCB file. How very handy!

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As for the 0.1% resistors, what I did with the breadboard was just match resistors from a bag of 100K 1% resistors. It was easier to just specify the 0.1% resistors. The original schematics have notes as to which resistors should be matched together.

In order to create a PCB, a new set of schematics was drawn. With the re-draw, all of the reference designators were renumbered according to which board they were on (or if they were panel components). I can go back and crosscheck the new designators with the old and put up notes about that. If you would get 0.1% resistors, it's pretty easy, because they comprise all of the 100K resistors on the Analogue Board.

The schematics themselves consist of the Analogue Board (four sheets, including a cover sheet), the Digital Board (four sheets again) and a front panel/interconnect schematic, which is spread across eight sheets. This last one deals with each set of controls, and how they wire up to the connectors - it's spread out purposely so that it's not complicated to follow.

There will actually be wiring instructions made up to make that portion of the build as easy as possible, but I'm very glad to say Andy's layout eliminated the worry I had about that aspect of the build - it really is a lot easier than I'd ever anticipated it to be. He's a master of organization.

Cheers,
Scott

Adam-V

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be interested in parts kits if they were offered without the pots & jacks.

Cheers,
Adam-V
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha Ha! 99% of that stuff has been neatly bagged and spoken for for quite some time now. I even matched the resistors. Cool So I shall vote no.
-justin
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bagged and tagged already Very Happy

Adam - the only parts that are slated for the kit would be the parts for the boards (the first section of the BOM) - the panel jacks, switches, pots, and LEDs are something that would be too hard to accomodate in a kit - preference on that stuff would vary too much to make a kit to fit all purposes.

Cheers,
Scott

crashlander42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Usually kits are too expensive for me, and usually I have half the parts already. I guess it would depend on the price.

Maybe if you set something up like State Machine did with the UD-1 where you have different options. I like that. Of course I haven't scraped money up to order one yet. Very Happy

http://www.myspace.com/isaciongun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crashlander42
My DIY stuff Flickr
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Crashlander, I can dig that. In fact, this poll is sort of an odd proposition/question - "Would you be willing to buy what I have in the bag? How much is it? I don't know, but would you be willing to buy what I have in the bag?" Very Happy

We honestly don't know how much it would cost at this point, we're just testing the waters on the idea of if people would be interested in it (IE, how many already have parts, how many don't and would consider buying a kit).

I'd love to get a price out here, but to be honest, I posted the BOM here today before even the parts guy had seen it Embarassed (Sorry Mr. X)

Take care,
Scott

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having just spent $200 at U-Do-It stocking up on parts, I should have voted no, but actually I like the idea of an actual kit I could just sit down and not have to pick all the parts out of boxes. And I really think I'm going to build a Klee, mainly because building the equivalent in software is going to be a worse chore. Besides I want it for the VC side of things.

What do you think the TSA is going to think about a baggie with 40 rolls of 50 resistors each packed into it, in my luggage? Embarassed

Home,My Studio,and another view
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What do you think the TSA is going to think about a baggie with 40 rolls of 50 resistors each packed into it, in my luggage?

Sir, could you please step over here? Thank you. Now raise your arms out to your shoulders. That's great. I'm going to pat you down. Could you please unbuckle your belt? That's terrific. You can put your arms down now. Would you mind opening the bag? Now I'm going to ask you to empty the contents of your bag onto this table. What's this? It's a what? A what, you say? What's it for? Just a moment.....Jim, can you help me out over here?...What's this? He say's it's a roll of registers...excuse me, resistors. What do you think....Ok, get him on the line, thanks. Sir, could you please take a seat right over there?

I've so been there and done that. Do you remember when traveling was actually fun? Very Happy

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Stites on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
aetherpulse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would definitely buy a kit. I hate having to find that last piece you need to finish! Pots and jacks are easy, but sometimes I get a little confused on the other stuff and end up with the wrong thing...
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Quote:
What do you think the TSA is going to think about a baggie with 40 rolls of 50 resistors each packed into it, in my luggage?

Sir, could you please step over here? Thank you. Now raise your arms out to your shoulders. That's great. I'm going to pat you down. Could you please unbuckle your belt? That's terrific. You can put your arms down now. Would you mind opening the bag? Now I'm going to ask you to empty the contents of your bag onto this table. What's this? It's a what? A what, you say? What's it for? Just a moment.....Jim, can you help me out over here?...What's this? He say's it's a roll of registers...excuse me, resistors. What do you think....Ok, get him on the line, thanks. Sir, could you please take a seat right over there?

I've so been there and done that. Do you remember when traveling was actually fun? Very Happy

Cheers,
Scott

you have convinced me to send it in my wife's luggage - er - I mean the checked luggage. Wink

I think I'll just put it all in the checked luggage and leave the receipt in with it. And leave it in an unsealed pocket so they can leave their lil TSA slip in it after they've made my luggage late for the flight.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Adam-V

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Adam - the only parts that are slated for the kit would be the parts for the boards (the first section of the BOM) - the panel jacks, switches, pots, and LEDs are something that would be too hard to accomodate in a kit - preference on that stuff would vary too much to make a kit to fit all purposes.
Cheers,
Scott

Sorry Scott, your initial post does clearly state that this is the case. Note to self: Read the ENTIRE post before replying; don't just skim over it!. Where's that Horses-Arse emoticon again??? Embarassed

Cheers,
Adam-V
doctorvague

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is welcome news to someone who is not sure they can even tackle something like this in the first place. I'm the guy who still has a hard time trying to choose between 25 different versions of a TL074 from Mouser so I'm the perfect kit candidate.

I knew you were going all-out with this but still had no idea!!
Thanks to all
Phil

etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm in the "no" camp as I have almost everything (non-panel) in stock, up to and including the 0.1% resistors, which I once got sent by mistake when I ordered 1%.
etaoin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Correct that. I assumed I could get the 4034 from my regular supplier, but he hasn't got them. So if someone knows a cheap source for those I'd be much obliged.
tomcat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adam-V wrote:
I'd be interested in parts kits if they were offered without the pots & jacks.

Same here.

I also dig the way statemachine went with the UD-1 kits.
moosapotamus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got plenty of caps and resistors. But, the main reason I would consider a parts kit would be for all of the ICs and connectors.

~ Charlie

frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
As for the 0.1% resistors, what I did with the breadboard was just match resistors from a bag of 100K 1% resistors. It was easier to just specify the 0.1% resistors. The original schematics have notes as to which resistors should be matched together. Scott

Just a heads up. Mouser now carries 0.1% resistors for under $1, both from Vishay and IRC. For example 71-ptf56100k00bybf (100k, $.83)

Ian
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Omigosh, Ian!!

Thanks for that for 2 reasons:

(1) Finding a cheaper version
(2) Waking me up to the cost of what I was specifiying

Of all the parts in that thing, I've never purchased a 0.1% resistor in my life - I figured they'd be a bit more expensive, but not that much more expensive. I just blithely stuck that requirement on the BOM rather than putting people to the hassle of matching resistors.

One would be better off matching a set of resistors. It's not important that they be within 0.1% of 100K, but rather, they be reasonably close to 100K and be within 0.1% of each other. I have a serious mind to just purchase a wad of 100K 1% resistors and just measure and sort them all out into tubs. Then they could be kitted up in separate baggies for each set of boards. I'd do that just to reduce the cost for people - I hate to see people dropping that kind of money on so many 0.1% resistors.

OK, folks, let me think about this for a moment - I personally wouldn't spend that kind of money.

The second issue is the CD4034 - here in the States, they're plentiful and very easy to find, but Andy did mention he could not find them in Australia. I was wondering about the EU and other places. Etaoin's experience makes it obvious they're probably not all that common there. In any event, we should make sure those are available to everyone one way or another.

I'm glad I started this thread for a number of reasons.

Cheers,
Scott

abis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
v-un-v wrote:
... but if (like me) you don't have a workshop, and you have a partner with a keen eye for tidiness, kits are cool! Cool Very Happy

You have the voice of a diplomat! For the record, I'd consider a kit as well.
Page 1 of 4 [86 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: