electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
  host / artist show at your time
today> Modulator ESP Adventures In Sound
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Buchla 200e style Frac-Rack cabinet
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: DIY Buchla 200e style Frac-Rack cabinet
Subject description: Now it's my turn! ;)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There comes as time where one has got to stop taking and give a little bit back. Well that time has come, and celebration of me coming to the end of my degree, I've been knocking up a little special 'something' for everyone.

I was blown away by GlassX's DIY Buchla cabinet (In fact one of the reasons for originally doing my industrial design course was so that I could afford a Buchla 200e!!). GlassX sent me his design, but I felt a little extra could be added, especially as now I am supposed to be a graphical computer draftsman.

This first offering is designed to be a three section dual-tier portable 'Buchla' cabinet for a Frac-Rack system. I chose Frac because it seems to be the most popular size for all those on a 'budget' as such- but you could always modify the design so it fits other systems, but as this one stands, each section is 19" across by 2x 5-1/4" high. (Please note that my drawings are in millimetres- as mm's are to British Standards).

However, this is not all. I am at present designing the same system in Solidworks 3D, (complete with STL files for direct input into a CNC mill & also, complete sheet metal drawings/ specifications etc), and will post this as soon as it is done (by this week end fingers crossed). If I can pull it off, there will be a 3D demonstration in Flash too (this is just to satisfy part of my dissertation!). For convenience, 2 drawings as png files are here, as there seems to be a bug with QCad v2.2.0.0 at the moment- Ribbonsoft are on to it apparently Very Happy Also included (hopefully, if I can get it to load) is a DXF file. This file may be difficult to open in ACAD (blame Autodesk!!), but it will open in QCad, and you won't have to buy QCad either just to open this file.

Frac Rack 'Buchla' Style Cabinet Draft.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.57 KB
 Viewed:  943 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Frac Rack 'Buchla' Style Cabinet Draft.png

Frac Rack 'Buchla' Style Cabinet Draft C.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.37 KB
 Viewed:  791 Time(s)

Frac Rack 'Buchla' Style Cabinet Draft C.png

Buchla-Cabinet Z.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buchla-Cabinet Z.zip
 Filesize:  9.63 KB
 Downloaded:  623 Time(s)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course there is no way of stopping the existing design (above) from falling over- but I'll work on that Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
GlassX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is fantastic, these drawings are great!!! Very Happy

I'm looking forward to the Solidworks stuff! This project was great fun to design and to execute, I reccomend it to everyone!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers GlassX! Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A couple of updates;

1. The angle on the top half, right hand side cheek is partially obscured. This should read 40 degs.

2. The positioning dimensions of the main hinge holes have been accidentally ommited. These have now been updated in this new dxf file. Smile

Buchla-Cabinet ZA .zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Buchla-Cabinet ZA .zip
 Filesize:  9.75 KB
 Downloaded:  535 Time(s)

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This really incredible work, both of you.

I'm wondering though, where would you start, if you had these designs (as we now do), and no other design training. I downloaded the CAD/ST, I think it was, and was able to open Glass X's design. Not entirely sure what to do with it.

I'd like to render it into a real cabinet as Glass X has already done. I suppose I might just take the end panel dimensions to someone who cuts wood.

Is there an easy way to change one dimension (like panel height? I'm using 4 unit height for my modules), and keep everything in scale?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
I suppose I might just take the end panel dimensions to someone who cuts wood.

That's basically the idea, if you don't know how to read engineering drawing diagrams. All the arrows with lines, just tell the cutter where to fut the knife so to speak.

Hang in there, because the Solidworks version is on its way (it's looking pretty good already Smile ). I should mention now that halfway through my drawing for the 2D work, I switched from centermetres to millimetres, and this has confused one or two dimensions- I will fix this as soon as I've got a moment (or my ears aren't being burned by my wife! Shocked Laughing )

Tom

BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Frac rack frames are significantly deeper than the Buchla so folding it up is not going to be compact. Is just for non-portable table top use or am I misunderstanding something?
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes you are right- there has to be a compromise in the design, in order for the unit to fold. In this case, (no pun intended!) it is the depth of the cabinet. The front panel height is measured for each cabinet to carry two rows of modules each, but the circuit boards will have to lie flat against the front panels. If I put the actual frac depth in, the unit would cease to be portable for obvious reasons.

But well spotted though Very Happy

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should also mention that the middle cabinet is slightly deeper than the top and bottom ones. This was mainly to allow for the PSU.
BananaPlug

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
...the circuit boards will have to lie flat against the front panels.

So, what are you putting in it? DIY stuff? None of the Frac Rack modules I'm familiar with are flat like that. Cwejman maybe?
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im going to put motm sized diy modules in mine, however im going to make it out of wood unlike glassx's and ill also change of the cabinets depth so i can mount some reverb tanks for my tellun neural agoniser.

once i get some time away from uni and work ill re-design the cad files again and post em

does anyone know how much space you need to give reverb tanks to avoid humms?

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:

does anyone know how much space you need to give reverb tanks to avoid humms?

I don't think it's a question of space, more whether you are using high quality screened cables or not.

I managed to pick up an old Boss RV-20 reverb pedal. I'm going to use that instead of a spring.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BananaPlug wrote:
Quote:
...the circuit boards will have to lie flat against the front panels.

So, what are you putting in it? DIY stuff? None of the Frac Rack modules I'm familiar with are flat like that. Cwejman maybe?

Of course! Smile There's no pleasing some is there?! Rolling Eyes Laughing

I figured that many people here have bought boards, but still plan to populate them (me included). I don't have a lot of space, so something that can be folded away is ideal. Those who already have Frac modules most probably already have a case for them and those who have Cwejman modules, can pay me £35 per hour to redesign the case so it fits their modules! Laughing I figure if you can afford Cwejman modules then you can afford to pay me to modify the design!? Laughing (only joking! Very Happy)

mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool work man!
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm slowly working out that the great Buchla is not just a great circuit builder, but an equally skilled cabinet designer too!

ericcoleridge contacted me off list and suggested that the boats could be made from wood- 4mm ply in fact, instead of sheet metal (although I can very easily do sheet metal if anyone wishes- in fact it is easier to do metal than wood!. Wood was a wise choice also because it means that almost anyone can now knock one of these up- providing they read from the plans. At the moment, as you see, I have a case that looks like a 200e but because I was going by eye, some of the dimensions are a bit strange to say the least!

The boats are 178mm high and 100mm deep. This makes the cab look lop-sided, but then the 200e is probably full of surface mount components and therefore only needs a shallow box.

I won't have this properly finished for at least another 3 or so weeks, but here's a preview of the thing in Solidworks, opened out.

Hey Presto!.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.18 KB
 Viewed:  501 Time(s)

Hey Presto!.png

ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

super cool v-un-v!
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did you finish v-un-v?

we just got a mig welder, so im going to make my boats out of thin grade steel. downloading qcad right now so i can work out the motm dimensions.

did you work out the stand to prop the unit up?

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Luka.

I haven't had an oppotunity to look at it yet. In fact this was part of a university module that has to be in at the latest by this coming Friday (11th). I dumped the cabinet because Solidworks won't export OBJ files into 3D Studio Max. Exporting files can still be done, but Solidworks exports the wrong kind of surface making it difficult to work with. Instead I've been modelling my own house in a brilliant little piece of software called ViaCAD- which is very similar to Solidworks (and QCad too), yet only costs $99 (yes I'm attempting the "hard sell"! Wink Laughing )

http://www.punchcad.com/

but hang in there, because I'll publish everything soon Very Happy
ericcoleridge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

V-un-V,

I'm looking forward to possibly building an enclosure from your design, when you publish. I was planning on using a briefcase type enclosue, but if I'm able to, I think I'd like to try to make one of these cabinets instead. Thanks for sharing your work.

These are my first 5 Panels; As you may notice, they are very Buchla inspired, and might look nice in a Buchla boat.

IMG_1908.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.18 KB
 Viewed:  330 Time(s)

IMG_1908.jpg

cbm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing that is overlooked in the Buchla 200e cabinet, is that there is routing in the wood sides to connect the power supply in the middle cabinet to the power distribution boards for the top and bottom boat. The communication buss also goes through these hidden connections.

A very elegant cabinet.

-C

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cbm wrote:

A very elegant cabinet.

Oh yes indeed. When trying to work out the geometry, I had to rethink a couple of times! I've always loved things that are well designed. Very Happy
Luka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ericcoleridge wrote:
V-un-V,

I'm looking forward to possibly building an enclosure from your design, when you publish. I was planning on using a briefcase type enclosue, but if I'm able to, I think I'd like to try to make one of these cabinets instead. Thanks for sharing your work.

These are my first 5 Panels; As you may notice, they are very Buchla inspired, and might look nice in a Buchla boat.

hey eric, where did you get your buchla-esqe knobs?

Tim Servo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: DIY Buchla Cabinet Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Hi Luka.

I haven't had an oppotunity to look at it yet. In fact this was part of a university module that has to be in at the latest by this coming Friday (11th). I dumped the cabinet because Solidworks won't export OBJ files into 3D Studio Max. Exporting files can still be done, but Solidworks exports the wrong kind of surface making it difficult to work with. Instead I've been modelling my own house in a brilliant little piece of software called ViaCAD- which is very similar to Solidworks (and QCad too), yet only costs $99 (yes I'm attempting the "hard sell"! Wink Laughing )

http://www.punchcad.com/

but hang in there, because I'll publish everything soon Very Happy

Hey V,

This is OT, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you: I've done a bunch of animation with SolidWorks models in 3DS Max. Export the models from SW as STL (you might want to experiment with different resolutions/densities), and then use a 2 sided material when rendering in 3DS Max (there is an option to set any material as two sided). This makes all the faces show up, even the ones that get flipped in the export process.

Okay, back to synth stuff. Smile

Tim (CAD Geek for my day job) Servo
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Tim Smile

Yes and no. The major problem with STL files (although they are the industry standard for CNC and the like), is that stl files contain far to many polygons- and like you point out, many of those surfaces get flipped in the transition stage. I simply don't have the time to sit there flipping normals all afternoon, and OBJ files are simply better for the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: