electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Ian's Threeler Built With Bridechamber Parts Kit
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Ian's Threeler Built With Bridechamber Parts Kit
Subject description: Holy cow!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought my first parts kit for the Threeler from Bridechamber. Often what diverts me from actually finishing a project is the fact that, though I've amassed a pile of parts, I invariably come up short of that one tiny part that prevents me from finishing the circuit. So, I'll just put the thing aside with the thought that on the next parts order, I'm going to get that part. Then a shiny object comes along, and the idea flies right out of my birdbrain. When Ian sent me a board for the Threeler, I had the epiphany of ordering the parts from Bridechamber, and with'em right there, it was easy as falling off a log to just solder the thing together.

The parts kit was flawless (thanks Scott....ehrm, Deyo, that is). And the Threeler itself?

The Threeler is a madman. It does so much, and sounds so cool in a zillion different ways, I finally gave up on trying to make a comprehensive sample to illustrate my point. If Ron Popeil could design a synth circuit like Ian can, he would have designed this one.

Where to start? First of all, it's a helluva filter. I love, for example, the 18 dB response of Mode 1 without resonance. And with resonance, it turns into an aggressive beast that can take off a limb, if you're not careful. Comparing it to my late MS-20 filter, there's a lot more range of control for the resonance, which is really nice. The other modes are great as well - this is by far not your average filter.

In fact, I know it's a filter, but standard filtering is really just the tip of the iceberg with this one - so much so, I'd call it another in the series of Ian's chaos modules. Well, I suppose it actually is - Ian states the "nonlinearities provide a wide variety of phase-locking and chaotic outputs." He wasn't just a-woofin' - not only can it filter, but it can do wonderful things with the waveform itself via that marvelous resonance. When you feed this thing a sawtooth and crank up the resonance and then have the filter track the VCO's CV, all I can say is look out! I'm aghast at the range of timbres it will produce with a single VCO. It can produce anything ranging from reed voices to Farfisa organ sounding things to bell or gong-like sounding things. Add some modulation, and the thing really takes off.

In this mode, I find the input level control is just as important to shaping the timbre as any other control - turn it all the way down, crank up the resonance, then slowly introduce signal level from the VCO. As you do this, adjust the cutoff frequency. Another major factor is the initial pitch of the VCO itself - try tuning the Threeler with the VCO in a high register, then try it in a middle register,then a lower register. Which leads to what I consider a stroke of genius for this module - the fine tune control. You can zero right in on those timbres with that thing. Another very, very cool thing is the individual outputs for each stage of the Threeler. This is one of those modules you can spend a long time getting to know, and once you do, I betcha you'll find yourself exploring timbres you never met up with without a Threeler in the system.

Here's a sample I made with the Threeler in Mode 4. I'm modulating the cutoff with a repeating Klee pattern, and I'm using that same pattern to control the single VCO. The output is going through a VCA to a digital delay/reverb and through the Dim C. All I do in the sample is adjust the cutoff of the Threeler. When it starts out, I'm just moving the fine tune control slowly up and down, then I go to the coarse tune for a wider swing. You can hear the Threeler moving through different timbres kind of like a Rolodex - each micro-turn of either control is a jumping off point to what often is an entirely different take of a very simple patch.

Cheerio,
Scott

threeler_klee.mp3
 Description:
Sawtooth through Threeler, just adjusting cutoff

Download
 Filename:  threeler_klee.mp3
 Filesize:  4.76 MB
 Downloaded:  1542 Time(s)

neandrewthal

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow! I feel honored to have this PCB in my backlog.
bearblock

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sounding good Very Happy

i've stuffed my PCB, still working out the best way to get it to fit into a Euro-module. I was actually going to leave the fine-tune pot off, but based on your post I think that would be a mistake; thanks for the advice!
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ian's Threeler Built With Bridechamber Parts Kit
Subject description: Holy cow!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Scott--

Thanks for the nice review! I'm glad it's working out OK for you.

For anyone who didn't follow the original thread on this project, here's some of the history. It started when I was listening to one of Scott's Klee demos. I noticed an unusual voice that sounded something like a honky bassoon. Based on my work trying to synthesize woodwind sounds and my studies of physical modeling, I realized that there was something very unusual and special going on with this voice. Scott explained that it was done using the MS-20 filter clone of Rene Schmitz, with the resonance cranked way up beyond the self-oscillation threshold. Rene confirmed that the many phase-locking sounds possible at high resonance is the most important aspect of his filter.

At that point, I dropped everything else I was working and spent about three months studying and expanding on on the Sallen-Key-like structure of the MS20 filter. I was able to show that the equations of the MS20 structure was very similar to a classic textbook chaos system, helping to explain why the response is so rich in waveforms. To expand on the original structure, I decided to investigate 3d order structures. The reason for this was that I wanted to use VC resonance, and two dual OTAs would then cover all the VC stages.

The third-order circuits immediately gave interesting results. I set up a breadboard system so I could hook up different combinations of highpass and lowpass stages, along with different positions of the non-linear circuit element (24 combinations). In the process, I figured out a little circuit trick that cut the number of switching poles needed for switching between configurations in half. With this trick it became feasible to consider a module that was switchable among several configurations. Then I spent about two weeks deciding on a set of four configurations that gave a wide variety of filter responses and high-resonance driven oscillations. I figured this would give a wide enough range of timbres with a relatively simple switching structure. In addition I decided to bring out signals from all three stages. So that was the Threeler design I settled on.

Yep, it's the Veg-a-Matic of the filter world.

I'm very grateful to Scott for posting that one voice in that one demo that got me started on this project. I am also most appreciative of Scott Deyo (Bridechamber.com) for being willing to take a gamble on helping with such an unusual and (commercially) untested module. In my opinion, Scott is offering these at a very reasonable price, and his support with kit components is a great convenience for people who don't like chasing down parts.

Very Happy

Ian
vtl5c3

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the sample, Scott! Really shows off what the threeler can do.

Ian, thanks for taking the MS20 filter design and upgrading it. It's my favorite VCF of all time, which is why I have five different versions in my system already. As soon as I can afford it, I want to add a pair of Threelers to the family.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well guys, it's just coming up to 5am- been up writing my dissertation- for submission tomorrow.

Fucking cool filter track Scott Very Happy Just what my fried brain needs at this time in the morn!

Can't wait to get round to building all my lovely circuits- FINALLY! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
bridechamber

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad the kit was helpful! Thanks for bringing attention to it.

It's just fun for me to be involved with Ian!
Though I will -- I WILL -- get around to building my own Threeler soon!!!
Smile

Cheers,
Scott (the other one)
ENDIF

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sweet baby jeebus.
*runs to put an order in*

More demos! =D

http://www.endif.org
http://www.crunchpod.com
http://www.myspace.com/endif
johans121

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to have a couple of those sitting next to my CGS Bi'n'tic osc/filter!!
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kudos to Ian and Bridechamber! What an incredible time to be involved in DIY...
ENDIF

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kit arrived yesterday!
*fires up the Weller*

ENDIF

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kit had a few mis-supplied resistor values, but I had some of the right types on hand, so no big.

Anyone know the correct way to interface the power from Doepfer to the Dotcom setup the board was built for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: