electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music » mix/remix
My Secret Weapon
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: My Secret Weapon
Subject description: A song about a weapon spawned of rage
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This song is a true story about a weapon that I created in the height of my rage against people who have abused me over the years. It may not be a good idea to post this, but it's been on my chest for a long time now and I can't keep it bottled up inside. I made the vocals clear enough that there's no need to post the lyrics. If you liked "Schizophrnia", you'll probably like "My Secret Weapon" also. Enjoy.

Les

p.s. the song is Copyright 2008 Les Hall

My_Secret_Weapon.mp3
 Description:
My Secret Weapon

Download
 Filename:  My_Secret_Weapon.mp3
 Filesize:  3.09 MB
 Downloaded:  1045 Time(s)

Last edited by Inventor on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to clarify something regarding this song. While it is a true story that reveals my darkest thoughts, it shows just one glimpse of who I am. For the darker facets of my personality I get regular psychiatric care, take strong medication, and no longer have the negative stimulus of the workplace in my life. Nowadays I am a happy, well-adjusted person with good will and a positive attitude.

So don't be scared. It's a scary song on purpose; it's supposed to give you a glimpse of what can happen to a person who is treated badly by everyone around, and to remind you not to add your little drop of anger into his or her bucket of hatred. Because we all know what can eventually happen when that bucket overflows. We see it in the news from time to time, and the song shows the perspective of a person who has been driven to the edge by the endless stream of little pinpricks of anger.

Your comments are welcome as always.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I loved this, It's been a long time since I had a wake-up call this strong about how processed, how synthetic and in-sincere modern music has typically become.

Very impressive indeed.

Last edited by Kassen on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
I loved this, It's been a long time since I had a wake-up call this strong about how precessed, how synthetic and in-sincere modern music has typically become.

Very impressive indeed.

Whew! What a relief, I was wondering if I had scared people too much to post replies, haha! You know, you wonder why bad things happen to you when all is supposedly used for good according to religious doctrine. Perhaps I went through all that to one day tell this story for others to understand. Perhaps not.

Today I redid the song. The guitars and drums are the same, but it has new lyrics that are slightly different and some synthesizer music added for dramatic effect. The new song is here:

[link deleted]

I look forward to additional comments, folks, and thanks Kassen!

Last edited by Inventor on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
I was wondering if I had scared people too much to post replies

Not so quick please, give me a chance to listen please Laughing

I think Kassen hits the nail on the head, music is supposed to be a personal expression ... and you express yourself very well.

In this case I liked the 2nd version best BTW.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Jan! It's like some kind of creative explosion, I'm writing another one now called "Conspiracy". I feel so good getting all this out. BTW, I like the second one best also.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both of these are very powerful. Both are very scary.

To me, the first one is more evocative; more pure.

Dylan said,
    If my thought dreams could be seen,
    They'd probably put my head into a guillotine.

To me, there are three strong fears provoked here.

I need protection from such madness.

I am no different. I've thought such things before. I've had such feelings. This is me.

What will the "normal" people do? They will want to deal with this madness by focusing more abuse on him/me?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
    I need protection from such madness.

I agree. I have thought about approaching the authorities and warning them about this inevitable danger, this new class of weapons that I have imagined years ago. Perhaps I should.

I feel, however, that it may be more well-known or well-imagined than I realize, so it may already be public knowledge. Or at least known to the military.

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very, very good.
Really heartfelt, intelligent, expressive, original.
My only criticism would be that, for a spoken word piece, you don't actually need the lyrics so big in the mix. It would have been quite easy to hear the lyrics, and possibly added to the tension if they had been back in the mix a bit. The strings would have been easier to hear too. And I think they add a lot of suspense.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, Uncle Krunkus, I have had some difficulty with these four pieces in adjusting the volume of the vocals. It will take me some practice to learn how to get that right. Do you have any clues for me? And thanks for the kind evaluation, it means a great deal!
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've listened some more and now I like the first one best. The vocals have more anger in them, which is appropriate for the song.
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know I shouldn't do this - dredge up dark thoughts from the past - yet I ran across this song in my iTunes collection once again... Upon listening to it from a fresh perspective of a life filled with happiness and yes, even joy, I find myself strangely celebrating the darkness of it.

To date I am unfamiliar with any implementation of the new class of weapons that I conceived, so that's good. We don't need that in our society. I am reminded, however, that I once heard of the military experimenting with such weapons and I recall that the conclusion was that they were "too cruel" to be used.

Is it some flaw in my personality to enjoy the power of these lyrics? We all have this dark side and though Hobbits we may be, there's a little bit of Sauron in each of us. Maybe we must experience evil to value joy so much. Kids are cruel sometimes, and I think that is largely because they have not yet suffered themselves. Through trial we become stronger, wiser, and eventually happier.

So once in a while I play this song again and enjoy it, thankful for all the wonderful interactions with people that have risen me from that dark place to the happy person I am today.

GaryRea

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good job, Les. It's dark, it's brooding, it's the sort of thing found on a mass killer's computer after he's shot up a school and killed himself - and the music just heightens the effect. Not that you'd do anything like that. I'm glad to hear you're in a better place now. Very Happy

Gary

http://amiestreet.com/music/gary-rea/reinvention/
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Gary, that's an evocative description of the piece. You know what I did? I sent that song to the AC/DC band store and told them to play it for the band. Maybe they could make a song inspired by My Secret Weapon. I know they will at least read the email because they answered an email that I sent them before. Either that or they'll call the police, lol! Rolling Eyes
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh Les...I had overlooked your song Crying or Very sad powerful Exclamation the dark side of Les Wink excellent Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
GaryRea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Thanks Gary, that's an evocative description of the piece. You know what I did? I sent that song to the AC/DC band store and told them to play it for the band. Maybe they could make a song inspired by My Secret Weapon. I know they will at least read the email because they answered an email that I sent them before. Either that or they'll call the police, lol! Rolling Eyes

Laughing I guess you'll know for sure when the SWAT team shows up, eh? Wink

Gary

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well the weapon itself, and I still have it safely tucked away, is definitely a scary piece of hardware, but what is really scary is the weapons that I imagined and never built or designed. I realize that these are practical devices that will someday be cheaply manufactured by someone with evil intent, and to be honest it scares me. We will need to rely on police and government to keep us safe from such things.
GaryRea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Well the weapon itself, and I still have it safely tucked away, is definitely a scary piece of hardware, but what is really scary is the weapons that I imagined and never built or designed. I realize that these are practical devices that will someday be cheaply manufactured by someone with evil intent, and to be honest it scares me.

Are these electromagnetic weapons, by any chance? If so, I think the Department of Defense has already beaten you to it, Les.

Inventor wrote:
We will need to rely on police and government to keep us safe from such things.

Well, if that's who we're relying on to keep us safe, we're doomed! Laughing

Gary

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gary,

Yes, i think that these weapons are old hat to the military. the biggest problem is that they can be cheaply made, thus bypassing the authorities in a way. I said in the song that I'll never tell the secret, and I won't. I'll die with it instead.

GaryRea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
Gary,

Yes, i think that these weapons are old hat to the military. the biggest problem is that they can be cheaply made, thus bypassing the authorities in a way. I said in the song that I'll never tell the secret, and I won't. I'll die with it instead.

Well, darn! The suspense was killing me. Wink

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GaryRea wrote:
Inventor wrote:
Gary,

Well, darn! The suspense was killing me. Wink

It's nothing that you have not imagined, the problem is that such things are actually practical.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
oh Les...I had overlooked your song Crying or Very sad powerful Exclamation the dark side of Les Wink excellent Shocked

Thank you Carlo!

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I personally think anyone who doesn't acknowledge, question, confess to, value and console the darkness which they hold inside is on a very shaky and twisted path which usually leads to the darkness being played out upon other people around them. Quite often the people they "love" the most.
I also think that this inability to own one's shadow is a common and toxic side effect of the delusion we call "spirituality".
I would be very proud of your honesty Les. It's a very healthy thing.

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:
I would be very proud of your honesty Les. It's a very healthy thing.

Amen Bro...

smueske

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think this is pretty cool. I like how you weave a concept with sounds to evoke a kind of phenomenal response. I'm bipolar so I know the whole medication thing and how your mind can be an enemy.

I think the track would be more effective, however, if it sounded less "read" and more like thoughts. For example, you could read this 10 times and cut various pieces and treat them differently, etc.

Anyway, I've read quite a few of your posts but never really introduced myself. Hi. Thanks for posting. I enjoyed this.

https://soundcloud.com/steve-mueske
Page 1 of 2 [34 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music » mix/remix
Jump to: