electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » electro-music.com
NEW MP3 Media Page
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: NEW MP3 Media Page Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check out the new MP3 Media page on electro-music.com. This is a sortable listing of all the MP3 files posted on our forum. We hope this will make it easier for people to listen to the music our members are creating. In time, we'll add some more advanced searching capability, and more.

Let us know what you think of this new feature. As always, comments, thoughts, suggestions and complaints are welcome.

(I'd like for people to kick the tires and uncover any bugs before I post this to the front page. --Thanks)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey... this is excellent!

Obviously there should perhaps be several alternative listings. Now sound files in the patching/tech forums are included too. perhaps and Artists/Online forum listing should be the default .

And perhaps we could figure out a way to attach a link that will list all the artists files

And a way for the file owners to edit metainfo/the comments field

This is a list of all mp3 files onsite? Or did you include .ogg and other formats?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good suggestions. The sorting stuff is certainly a must do in the short term.

The original poster can change the descrition by editing the post.

Metadata in the mp3 can't be edited on the forum, only with a MP3 editor.

I didn't include ogg and wav files. An oversite I guess.

EDIT: Just added ogg and wav. Anything else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I immediately noticed that new feature of the site. that's cool but not as cool as a portal for mp3 links (or other media formats) could be Cool

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorting by forum/context

Obviously there should be several different searches/listings

1. Artist forums and Online Music only
2.Hardware/gear forums like Clavia..
3. Schmooze and whatnot
4. custom listing
5. Absolutely everything only restricted by permissions

and there should possibly be a preconfigured "button" /listing request for every member that possibly excludes everything NOT in the Artist/Online Music forums.

The current media page is cool and this feature should be kept even if we get a mp3 internet directory up and running.

BTW: I just rememberd some kind a discussion some years ago about music links and the fact that this equals publishing/distribution. A directory itself is a content service which equals publishing/distribution. so.. we are back to rights managment practices and all that noise. What we need right now is some org like the EFF analysing this for us for free and coming up with some kind of valid disclaimer or whatever.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great idea !

Is it possible to add an extra column that gives the file sizes ?

When I'm using a dial-up link (I do when at home) I think the file size to be relevant information.

Or instead maybe an estimate of the download time (although personally I think this 2nd option would actually be less user friendly most people seem to not agree with me on this).

Jan.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah... file size is still an issue.. It could be as easy as a toggle for show file size/ do not show file size. This could also be set in the profile instead.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put the filesize in. Even easy things take time. You can sort on it too. I think I'll leave it in - no toggle - because putting it in the profile is a pain. Sooner or later I'm going to have to get into that profile thing though.

Thanks for all the excellent feedback.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I put the filesize in.

Thanks.

Quote:
Even easy things take time.

I noticed a bug fix having been made I think :-)

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
I noticed a bug fix having been made I think Smile

Yes, I noticed some uglies pop up right after I posted the filesize version. The quality control department around here is worse than the programmers. Crying or Very sad

More coffee - must have more coffee - more coffee!!
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just added the ability to select some of the special forum groups as Elektro80 suggested. The code is getting a little messy, but I can add more forum categories for the select menu if there are suggestions.

The code sorting and selecting is all in the clear as parameters to the URL so if you want to make links to special combinations, you can do that. For example, if you just want to see the media files in Stein's artist forum, use this URL,

http://electro-music.com/mp3media.php?forums=69

Multiple forums separated by commas are allowed, of course.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey! You did it! This interface is excellent! Well done!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, thanks, but there are still a few glitches in there that you'll notice if you start writing your own URLs. Still, I think I'll leave it alone for a while unless someone finds a bug, or has a good suggestion for improvement.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GLITCHES???

Shocked

Uhh.. we are not risking transmuting a section of the known civilized universe into a jovian cheese vending machine or something? When you say stuff like that you always makes me think about "the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy".

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To me this seems to be very usable.

One thing puzzled me a bit though.

You said that by using comma separated forums I can select multiple forums, but there seems to be no easy way to find the numbers for the forums. Am I missing something or were you planning to do more work on this, or ?

It's not that I'm expecting very much use for more sophistication in the user interface, but it made me a little curious, that's all.

As long as not much more music is available this seems a perfect interface that will enable the music to be found and explored.

I think all forums could be in the drop-down list ? Or do not that many forums have music in them maybe ?

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jan, you hit on the main problem. I could do a bunch of DB queries and get a list of the forums. I'll do that eventually. For now, if you want to know the forum number, just go to the forum index and put the mouse over any forum link and the URL that shows up in the bottom of your screen will have a ?f=32 or something. That's the forum number. Like this one is f=6. ]

It's a bit of a kludge now. Like if I add a new artist forum. I have to go to the media file and add the number there. Embarassed

I should really have some scanner that finds all the forums with media and put's them individually in the select menu along with the special categories, like artists and NM.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the bottom of this page is a "jump to" drop down thingy having all forums (at first glance), maybe some of that can be re-used ?

I assume it to be just that particular one 'nearly right' forum database query example you'd be looking for ?

Can you single-step the PHP code and use breakpoints to zoom in on it ? There should be some tools for that if I'm not mistaken.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know about single stepping, but you can put in print statements. Yes, that jumpto thingie is something perfect for this, isn't it.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll try to check out some of this stuff http://php.resourceindex.com/Community/Tools/Development_Environments/

later this week.

Jan.
Tokyohunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good feature this,gonna spend time this evening downloading most of the list as time allows.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Tok. This is just the start. There is a lot of good stuff uploaded in the forums, but much of the music of the members is off-site. I've found that taking baby steps gets you there faster than one big leap.
Michael Chocholak

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, very cool feature! I'm always cruising the site checking for new tracks to listen to, but I usually decide to come and DL later. Then I always forget where they are. Now I can zero in. Very Happy

I was seriously tempted to give up everything and go be a farmer or something... - Jack Endino, Seattle record producer
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: