electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Chaotica
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Chaotica
Subject description: An extended 3d order chaos circuit
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chaotica is an expanded and improved autonomous third order chaos circuit. The features of Chaotica are:

1.) A third order system with a total of four nonlinear elements in the circuit path to provide a wide range of chaotic signals. One of the elements is a comparator circuit which can be switched in to provide double-eye signals, similar to Chua, Lorentz and ChaQuo.

2.) Expo VC of rate (frequency) over a wide range from creeping LFO rates to well up into the audio range.

3.) Lin VC of loop damping, gain and offset. Many interesting sweep and modulation effects here.

4.) A Reset/Inhibit input which allows the system to be set to zero at all stages. This has many interesting uses; eg, the chaos path's evolution can be followed by varying the reset rate.

5.) Output for all three system variables, x, y and z.

I am attaching a couple of composite photos showing a range of patterns I've gotten.

Very Happy

Ian

12doubles001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.5 KB
 Viewed:  638 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

12doubles001.jpg

12singles001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.04 KB
 Viewed:  646 Time(s)

12singles001.jpg

Last edited by frijitz on Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

some of those single eyes look like brains and embryos. super cool!
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also, nautilus shells!
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neat! Looking forward to seeing the circuit!
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glad to see a new chaos circuit from you Ian!

A while back there was a discussion of adding CV controls to the Jerkster, is this some of those mods, plus an extra NL stage or two?
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice, hope this will become another available project... i'll have a complete set!
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These look great Ian!
I really love the chaos circuits of yours that I've done...
Looking forward to more information on this circuit.

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
frijitz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
A while back there was a discussion of adding CV controls to the Jerkster, is this some of those mods, plus an extra NL stage or two?

Hi Andrew --

Yeah, that's about it. The basic jerkster has control of Rate and Gain implemented with OTA's, so adapting for VC is just a matter of hooking up standard expo or linear converters. For the new circuit I added VC Damping by replacing the pot with an OTA --a damped integrator stage as described on my website. Including Offset as a parameter is important when generating a wide range of patterns (keeps the overall size under check). This is easy to do by just driving extra current into one of the OTA inputs, which are essentially current-summing nodes. So it's just a couple of pots and resistors.

I used the other half of the extra OTA chip as a current ampliflier to drive a pulse stretcher for the Reset function, which discharges all three integrators. I'm still fiddling with the nonlinearities to try to get a good variety of patterns without wild amplitude excursions -- always a major pain, as I'm sure you have noticed.

Very Happy

Ian
andrewF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really should try some of these mods, the integrator reset would be good too.

I spent Aug-Dec last year trying to prevent 'wild amplitude excursions' in that memristor* based hyperchaos circuit , yes it was painful and very annoying.

*not a real memristor
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject:
Subject description: schematics

Here are the schematics. Part 1 is the main generator and part 2 is the control sections.

There have been a couple of changes since the OP. The comparator nonlinearity has been replaced with my x-x^3 circuit. And an overload indicator, lighting up when x>8V, has been added.

Very Happy

Ian

Edit: Schematics updated 11/9/11

cha001dg3.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.68 KB
 Viewed:  857 Time(s)

cha001dg3.gif

cha002dg3.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.2 KB
 Viewed:  792 Time(s)

cha002dg3.gif

Last edited by frijitz on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
andrewF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Ian
I have this rather strange urge to build it today!
frijitz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:

Maybe you should, then. I'm having great fun playing with it.

It was partly inspired by a 1990 Chua paper where he looked (theoretically) at what kinds of patterns you could get by generalizing the standard Chua oscillator. There are a lot! Some I already had in the Jerkster system, and I've been able to get some more with Chaotica. Not all of them, though.

One interesting one has orbits on a torus. It's real touchy to get working, but it's there!

Very Happy

Ian
andrewF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

frijitz wrote:
andrewF wrote:

Maybe you should, then. I'm having great fun playing with it.

Ian

stripboard is done, panel made, 'just' the wiring to go Very Happy
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Poincare sections
Subject description: With music for bugs.

The scope shots usually seen for chaotic systems are projections onto a plane. IOW, if you see an x-y shot, like those above, it is as if the whole signal path (the chaotic attractor) had been squished flat like a pancake.

Poincare sections, OTOH are cross-sectional slices of the attractor, for example a map of all the x-y points where the third signal (z) crosses a fixed value. These are easy to extract using S&H circuits, such as the TGTSH.

The figure below shows an attractor from Chaotica with its z=0 Poincare map -- the dots -- superimposed. There are two sets of dots, one for positive-going crossings and the other for negative-going ones.

The mp3 has the x and y output voltages controlling the VCO pitch of two voices. The crossing plane is slowly ramped down with a Saw signal controlling the TGTSH threshold. Thus, the full attractor is traced out, one cross section at a time. The first part of the clip is the upward crossings and conversely for the second part.

It's always a surprise to see how thin the Poincare sections are. The attractors themselves are not big blobby things but rather thin sheets and ribbons that are wrapped around in three-dimensional space.

Very Happy

Ian

composit002norm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.87 KB
 Viewed:  381 Time(s)

composit002norm.jpg

poincare0102.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  poincare0102.mp3
 Filesize:  1.74 MB
 Downloaded:  1229 Time(s)

andrewF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haven't got it quite working perfectly, removed the reset FETs when trouble-shooting, but so far it is proving to be quite a character (=mad)
added leds for X-Y outputs
Thanks for sharing this Ian

IMG_5538 (480x640).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.79 KB
 Viewed:  383 Time(s)

IMG_5538 (480x640).jpg

IMG_5541 (640x480).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.88 KB
 Viewed:  375 Time(s)

IMG_5541 (640x480).jpg

frijitz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Chaotica video Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a video demonstrating modulation of various voltage controlled parameters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx9KhQ2k304

Very Happy

Ian
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked me wants, I think, wow,..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrewF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love the sounds you are getting, will have to try some of those patches - thanks Ian
Argitoth

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can we hear more of the actual chaos output in audio rate frequencies? Also, audio rate modulation. Smile
frijitz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I'll try to make some time to do that. I haven't tried audio rate modulation yet, but I'll bet it's interesting.

Very Happy

Ian
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've put up two audio-rate mp3 demos on my website:
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/Chaos/ch_cir6_chaotica.htm
It's just Chaotica + Threeler + several LFOs. I was surprised to be able to get such rich, multiphonic sounds.

Very Happy

Ian
jordroid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wowza, those are very interesting sounds indeed, that's a lot of sound from not very many modules. Great stuff as always, thanks for posting those.

jordan
brock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I second that, very interesting sounds indeed.

It's an impressive group of chaos circuits you are building up Ian. I've got to thank you for being such an important aggregator of information over the years, starting with a post of links on this subject to the synth-diy list way back in Jan 2003. Your designs are very inspiring.

Brock
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very impressive actually. I hadn't thought something like this would be up my alley, but I see that's wrong. I can see where this would be very useful and powerful. Let the strangeness abound!
frijitz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have put up two new demos of audio-rate modulation of audio-rate signals:
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/Chaos/ch_cir6_chaotica.htm

These were done quickly just to give an idea of some of the possibilities. There are some very interesting sounds in there (along with many boring ones). This will take some time to explore completely.

Very Happy

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 3 [62 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: