electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
little chime
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: little chime
Subject description: simple circuit that creates a 'ping' at an interval.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Í wanted a circuit that produces a little chime like ping once in a while. Actually I want a bunch of those
and make them solar powered (and maybe have them turn on at night). Anway this is what i came up with.

It's pretty straight forward: 2 oscillators 'mixed' with a NAND provide the sound, Then there a 3rd oscillator
which (with the current component values) turns on once every 3.5 - 4 minutes. You could change the
values or add a pot if you want a different interval time.

The on time is much shorter then the off time and it's followed by a simple envelope generator to create
a short attack and long decay. This in turn drives a transitor which functions as a VCA. And then
there is one more transistor used to drive the (piezo) speaker. It probably works with a normal speaker
aswell, but you'll have to put a resistor in series, and maybe need a slightly heavier transistor.

I also added a jumper to bypass the VCA section, which is usefull for tuning, but you could also use
this point for an external trigger.

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the lunetta section (or even post it at all) but it IS a simple circuit with
a CMOS chip at it's core. Smile

Little Chime.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.23 KB
 Viewed:  469 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Little Chime.gif

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course you should post it Smile Simple circuits like yours are the core of anything more advanced. I'd like to get some sound files of it, from reading your description, I imagine it sounds quite nice Wink That little transistor stage is interesting as well, any more info on the VCA? I think I see how it works but I'm not sure.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Little Chime Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I recorded a little demo using the jumper for manual triggering. I think it does sound a bit better through
the speaker which is what it's intended for. And I just found out it isn't even a piezo but just a little 130 ohm speaker.

Not much to say about the VCA unless you want all the fine details (and I don't know those). It's something
like a higher voltage on the base, or i think i should talk in currents here, causes a bigger current to flow
from from Collector to Emitter, so the signal get's louder. But I'm pretty sure there are people here who could
tell you exactly what's going on with some formulas and stuff like that Wink

PHOBoS - Little Chime Demo.mp3
 Description:
Things that go Ting!

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Little Chime Demo.mp3
 Filesize:  5.86 MB
 Downloaded:  1183 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Little Chime Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
But I'm pretty sure there are people here who could
tell you exactly what's going on with some formulas and stuff like that Wink

No need to make the concept complicated: The voltage on the base controls how much of the signal on the collector gets to the emitter. You could also consider it as a simple voltage controlled resistor. See the MFOS WP20 VCA and some of the Roland 909 voices.

And don't be surprised if someone accuses you of stealing the design Rolling Eyes

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow that can get really bell-like Surprised lovely! ... and yet it sounds oddly harsh too. Certainly the kind of noise which makes you sit up and take notice Smile (I assume from what you said this may be its purpose?)

Also, thats along the lines of what I was thinking regarding the little VCA, without them equations I think I'd have to experiment to fully understand.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Little Chime Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:
You could also consider it as a simple voltage controlled resistor. See the MFOS WP20 VCA and some of the Roland 909 voices.

OH it all makes sense now! Thankyou Very Happy
Also I misred the design a little bit, I thought the diode pointing down was connected to Ud1 output, but thats just the jumper going to +V, the lines simply cross there Laughing
Anyways, it makes more sense now thanks to you both Smile

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Little Chime Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:
And don't be surprised if someone accuses you of stealing the design Rolling Eyes

stealing ? nah,. copying Wink
I think I saw it done that way in the simple VCA thread Smile

aerogramma

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: little chime

PHOBoS wrote:
Í wanted a circuit that produces a little chime like ping once in a while. Actually I want a bunch of those
and make them solar powered (and maybe have them turn on at night). Anway this is what i came up with.

love it! what causes the change in pitch?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: little chime

aerogramma wrote:
love it! what causes the change in pitch?

The pich is changed by adjusting the two potentiometers (I used 2 little trimpots with a shaft myself).
So I did that manually in the demo, it doesn't change by itself Wink. You could make some circuit that does that
or add some LDR's to make the frequency light dependent, but my idea was to make a couple of them and tune
them all different but in tune with each other. Because of tolerance in components they will all chime at
a slightly different interval, causing a slowly changing sequence.

aerogramma

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fantastic!
nathanxl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Little Chime would go well with this!

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was just watching that video on youtube, love it Smile
I'm always interested in little solar devices and still want to make some sort of solarpowered orchestra.

I also did a little drum thingy but my problem is usually finding a useful motor. Do you have any idea
of the ouput of your solarpanels ? (voltage/current) they look pretty big Smile

as it is now the little chime circuit does not seem to work on the solarpanels I have. Thinking it might
have to do with the speaker drawing too much current, I hooked up 3 AA batteries (I have 4.5V solar panels)
but that didn't seem to work either. So I probably have to make some adjustments to the circuit.

It should be possible though,. since I've done a solar powered CMOS circuit in the past which also has a
small speaker (I think it's 8 ohm but with a series resistor) and that works great, so current draw shouldn't actually
be a problem. Offcourse I'd still need batteries if I want to use it at night.

Here's a video showing that circuit, it also has the drum thingy Wink

just realized that I need to check what the circuit does between pings. I'm not surprised if there is a DC voltage,
which causes current to flow through to the speaker. I think a cap in series would take care of that.

nathanxl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Do you have any idea
of the ouput of your solarpanels ? (voltage/current) they look pretty big

I cant help you with circuit design as Im completely clueless Crying or Very sad .
I am however interested in making solar powered lunettas, so will watch your progress with interest, ATM Im otherwise occupied so solar will haveto wait.

The panels I have are all different, I just join them up if I need more power. That being said the BEAM solar engine Im using works with any size, even tiny calculator cells. Reason being charge is stored in a Cap. and drained when a preset voltage is reached. I want to use this method with Lunettas for some burst like modules.
This is the circuit:
http://www.beam-online.com/Robots/Circuits/1381.html

Nice vid.
Whats going on with the wind chime one? What is moving the ball?
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nathanxl wrote:
Whats going on with the wind chime one? What is moving the ball?

the ball is attached with a piece of thin metal wire to a motor in the top,
which is driven by a similar circuit as you used,. but I used this one. Wink

elektrouwe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="nathanxl"]
http://www.beam-online.com/Robots/Circuits/1381.html
/quote]
nice solar sound stuff here !
But I hate these1381 solar triggers. Don't know why they are so popular: they are hard to fin (in Germany), expensive ( compared to transistors & 4xxx CMOS) and single source (as far as I know. A definite No-Go for Lunettics. I've built lots of solar powered motorized stuff with a simple transistorized circuit ( see pdf). Who will redesign it with a 4007 instead of
the discrete transistors ? I'm sure it's possible.
BTW : circuits that have the motor load in the path that loads a timing cap
( like this 1381 and FLED circuit ) show trigger problems when motor collector position is not well defined; that's why I use a 3rd transistor for the motor.

solartrigger1.pdf
 Description:
solar cell trigger circuit

Download
 Filename:  solartrigger1.pdf
 Filesize:  29.75 KB
 Downloaded:  329 Time(s)

nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I too found it difficult to source the 1381s. Although I was aware thatthere were other ways to fry that fish... I didnt, and still dont , have the EE chops to design my own solutions. That circuit of yours Electrouwe looks very good.
So by adjusting the resistor values the stored voltage is changed?

Solar Lunettas here we come!
elektrouwe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nathanxl wrote:
Y
So by adjusting the resistor values the stored voltage is changed?

yes, normally you set the trigger voltage as high as possible to store max. energy, but if you set it too high the solar cell might not reach this voltage under worse light conditions and your gadged behaves rather dead then.
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: