electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Morse Code generator
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Morse Code generator
Subject description: -.-- --- ..- -.- -. --- .-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. .
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was listening to Chez Mosc this past sunday which started with something that sounded like morse code.
This made me wonder how hard it would be to design a circuit that generates a random morse code.

I first had a look at the timing between the dots and dashes and I got this from wikipedia:
1. short mark, dot or "dit" (·) — 1
2. longer mark, dash or "dah" (–) — 111
3. intra-character gap (between the dots and dashes within a character) — 0
4. short gap (between letters) — 000
5. medium gap (between words) — 0000000

Which results in the following 6 possible 'sequences'
10 (dot + intra-character gap)
1110 (dash + intra-character gap)
1000 (dot + short gap)
111000 (dash + short gap)
10000000 (dot + medium gap)
1110000000 (dash + medium gap)

The maximum is 10 steps which is very convenient because that makes it possible to use one 10 step counter (U1).
All that needs to be done is to reset it after 2,4,6,8 or 10 steps, which can be done with a mux (U2), and to create a pulse
that's either 1 (dot) or 3 (dash) CLK cycles long.

I decided to use the inputs of the mux as follows
A: dot (0) or dash (1)
B: short gap (0) or medium gap (1) [only when C = 1)
C: intra-character gap (0) or short/medium gap (1)

I was thinking of making it stop when the input is 000/001. And my first idea was to connect I/O0 and I/O1 of the mux to +
so the counter would be reset. The problem with that is that the Q0 output of the counter will stay high, which would result in a
looooooong beep. It would be possible to turn it off with some more logic but there is another problem with it anyway.
Another idea is to use the CLK INH pin, but that would also require some more logic then I'm willing to put in.
Instead I just added a switch. It's connected to Q3 so that the output will always be low when it's put on hold.

The next thing I added is a synchronous input for the ABC control lines in the form of some D-flipflops (U3).
The CD40174 is something I had laying around but you could use a CD4042 (quad flip flop) aswell.
The flipflops are triggered at the end of a 'sequence', this way the timing stays correct no matter what you attach to the inputs.
The only problem was to have it triggered after 10 steps, since there is no reset pulse. Luckely the CD4017 does
have a carry out which goes from low to high after 10 steps, however it stays high for 5 CLK cycles so I had to turn it into a pulse.

To create the actual dots and dashes it would probably be easies to use another mux and select between Q0 (dot)
or Q0+Q1+Q2 (dash). But I didn't want to add another IC, so I used some mickey mouse logic:
Q0,Q1,Q2 are all connected to an OR gate, but Q1 & Q2 are switched on/off with an AND gate.

U4 is used to set the maximum number of dots/dashes which is 4 for standard letters, 5 if you add numbers aswell.
U5 is optional and can be used to turn it into a standalone morse code beeper.
It might be fun to add 1 or 2 shiftregisters with LEDs, so you can see the code Very Happy

Morse Code Generator.gif
 Description:
Morse Code generator schematic
 Filesize:  82.22 KB
 Viewed:  844 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Morse Code Generator.gif

PHOBoS - Morse Code generator demo.mp3
 Description:
PHOBoS - Morse Code generator demo (feel free to translate ;))

Download
 Filename:  PHOBoS - Morse Code generator demo.mp3
 Filesize:  616.13 KB
 Downloaded:  1241 Time(s)

Last edited by PHOBoS on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one PHOBoS, compact!

I got the same idea at the same time for the same reason .. which for me resulted in

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Anyway, your mp3 is in that patch too now :¬)

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah you made a translator ? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes ... that's easy in a programming language .. can still type random text of course Laughing

Code:
    function    TModMorse.CharToSymbols( aChar: Char): string;
    // Using ITU encoding
    begin
      case UpCase( aChar) of
        'A' : Result := '_ ___   ';                   'B' : Result := '___ _ _ _   ';
        'C' : Result := '___ _ ___ _   ';             'D' : Result := '___ _ _   ';
        'E' : Result := '_   ';                       'F' : Result := '_ _ ___ _   ';
        'G' : Result := '___ ___ _   ';               'H' : Result := '_ _ _ _   ';
        'I' : Result := '_ _   ';                     'J' : Result := '_ ___ ___ ___   ';
        'K' : Result := '___ _ ___   ';               'L' : Result := '_ ___ _ _   ';
        'M' : Result := '___ ___   ';                 'N' : Result := '___ _   ';
        'O' : Result := '___ ___ ___   ';             'P' : Result := '_ ___ ____   ';
        'Q' : Result := '___ ___ _ ___   ';           'R' : Result := '_ ___ _   ';
        'S' : Result := '_ _ _   ';                   'T' : Result := '___   ';
        'U' : Result := '_ _ ___   ';                 'V' : Result := '_ _ _ ___   ';
        'W' : Result := '_ ___ ___   ';               'X' : Result := '___ _ _ ___   ';
        'Y' : Result := '___ _ ___ ___   ';           'Z' : Result := '___ ___ _ _   ';
        '0' : Result := '___ ___ ___ ___ ___   ';     '1' : Result := '_ ___ ___ ___ ___   ';
        '2' : Result := '_ _ ___ ___ ___   ';         '3' : Result := '_ _ _ ___ ___   ';
        '4' : Result := '_ _ _ ____   ';              '5' : Result := '_ _ _ _ _   ';
        '6' : Result := '____ _ _ _   ';              '7' : Result := '___ ___ _ _ _   ';
        '8' : Result := '___ ___ ___ _ _   ';         '9' : Result := '___ ___ ___ ___ _   ';
        '*' : Result := '_ _ _ ___ ___ ___ _ _ _   '; // SOS symbol
        else  Result := '       ';                    // Inter word delay, for all unknown chars including a space
      end;
    end;

where a space in Result represents 'tone off' everything else is 'tone on'.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some details added in the post above for character to tone sequence.

Basically there are 26 characters, 36 when numbers are in too - but one extra is needed for the space between words (or all unknown characters in the code above).

I added * for the special SOS codingg, there are some more of those a HAM might use those ... but nothing too interesting I think for a generator.

some later code then does

Code:
      if not FOldClock and NewClock
      then begin
        if FSymbols[ FSymbolIndex] = ' '
        then FOutputs[ morse_out] := 0
        else FOutputs[ morse_out] := 1;
        Inc( FSymbolIndex);
      end;

And the ASCII codes for characters are not too silly for a CMOS implementation I think.

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! Setup a radio beacon broadcasting this stuff 24/7 and drive people nuts trying to decode it!

-- James.
( -. --- .. -.. --- -. - -.- -. --- .-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . )
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:

( -. --- .. -.. --- -. - -.- -. --- .-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . )

Laughing

-.-- . ... -.-- --- ..- -.. --- -.- -. --- .-- -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . --- .-. .- - .-.. . .- ... - ..-. --- ..- -. -.. .... - . .-. .. --. .... - --- -. .-.. .. -. . - --- --- .-.. .-- .... . .-. . .- .-. . - .... . ... -

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Cool! Setup a radio beacon broadcasting this stuff 24/7 and drive people nuts trying to decode it!

I thought about that, make it solar powered and hang it in a tree Twisted Evil

- .... .. ... .. ... .--- ..- ... - ... --- -- . .-. .- -. -.. --- -- -.-. --- -.. . .- -. -.-- .-. . ... . -- -... .-.. .- -. -.-. . - --- .- -.-. - ..- .- .-.. - . -..- - .. ... .--. ..- .-. . .-.. -.-- -.-. --- .. -. -.-. .. -.. . -. - .- .-..

DUBmatze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Quote:

I thought about that, make it solar powered and hang it in a tree Twisted Evil

- .... .. ... .. ... .--- ..- ... - ... --- -- . .-. .- -. -.. --- -- -.-. --- -.. . .- -. -.-- .-. . ... . -- -... .-.. .- -. -.-. . - --- .- -.-. - ..- .- .-.. - . -..- - .. ... .--. ..- .-. . .-.. -.-- -.-. --- .. -. -.-. .. -.. . -. - .- .-..
cool thing...
it brings me to a lot of webpages (text - morse, text - morse - wav/mp3, text - morse - midi). i also checked a few sites like freesound.org for morse snipets and i started to make a dub with morse code....
i like the plan with the radio .... when i was a kid my dream was running a pirate radio ship.... (but there is no water arround here)
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: