electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
ababa and ababababa
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: ababa and ababababa
Subject description: somebody call me a cab
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As this tune was growing I had several ideas for names. By the time the tune took its final shape, none of those ideas seemed appropriate anymore.

Taking a cue from my favorite band, Genesis, I named the tune after the progression of parts from A to B to A to B to A. It's not an "Abacab," it's an ababa! (Another cue taken from Genesis is the "bass pedal" effect toward the end; nice and dramatic. Thanks Mike!)

Back in 2011 when I got my trusty BR-600 recorder, it occurred to me that I could just noodle around and then cut, paste and loop pieces of the noodle to make tunes. It occurred to me, but I never did it... until now.

The two melodic themes in this tune are copied from the first few measures of a lead noodle I improvised over the first three tracks. The noodle started out great then I got excited and started screwing up. I wanted to save the good parts, so I did.

Most of my leads are attempts to NOT do the expected. If I'm jamming along and a note sequence seems to be heading in a certain direction, I'll go somewhere less certain. That's precisely why these melodic themes are unusual.

I love doing this. I feel like I'm creating a new kind of music, just because I'm not playing familiar "licks." It's such a rush when it works. And when it doesn't work, I sure don't post it here. Razz

(Sometimes I deliberately try to use lots of melodic cliches in leads, because I think it's funny. I don't know if anyone else thinks it's funny.)

UPDATE 7-11-16
Listening to ababa at work today I wondered how it would sound if the melodic parts repeated only twice before changing, instead of repeating four times. So I came home and made a version like that. It's called ababababa.

Perhaps someone would do me the kindness of telling me which version they prefer. Perhaps not.

ababa.mp3
 Description:
somebody call me a cab

Download
 Filename:  ababa.mp3
 Filesize:  2.81 MB
 Downloaded:  1589 Time(s)

ababababa.mp3
 Description:
call me a cabababa

Download
 Filename:  ababababa.mp3