electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Scraprack
Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Scraprack
Subject description: Moon Base studio gear rack
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am currently working on a rack for some gear made from scrap wood.

Scraprack - 01.jpg
 Description:
Scraprack
 Filesize:  137.62 KB
 Viewed:  722 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Scraprack - 01.jpg

Scraprack - 02.jpg
 Description:
Scraprack
 Filesize:  128.44 KB
 Viewed:  711 Time(s)

Scraprack - 02.jpg

Scraprack - 03.jpg
 Description:
Scraprack
 Filesize:  129.22 KB
 Viewed:  683 Time(s)

Scraprack - 03.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cfish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oooooooo that looks like mega fun to fill up.
Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorta disappointed that it's not filling up yet. LOL
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laughing

In theory it is actually pretty much filled up, I have all the gear to put in there. But it is also going to have a panel with some in/outputs,
so I have to figure out what I am going to put on there. One thing will be the CV control for the PSK DD2000 Digital Delay and I am going
to put the connectors for the 'Melt-yer-Face' on there. I also need to order the connectors for it and it will take a couple of weeks before
those arrive. But here's a teaser pic just for you which also shows where the panel is located. (next to the WoggleBug XL).

Scraprack - 05.jpg
 Description:
Scraprack
 Filesize:  185.25 KB
 Viewed:  731 Time(s)

Scraprack - 05.jpg

Scraprack - 06.jpg
 Description:
Scraprack
 Filesize:  209.67 KB
 Viewed:  705 Time(s)

Scraprack - 06.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice. Now you need a fish module that makes close to tone bubble sounds.

You are awesome. Thank you so much for what you give to the DIY world.

You are an inspiratiion to me and many others.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cfish wrote:
You are an inspiratiion to me and many others.

I fully agree with that Cool

A fish module would be cool too Laughing but be careful.. what you wish may come true Shocked

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aw, thanks! that makes me feel all fuzzy inside.
always nice to hear that I am doing at least something right.

hmm fish sounds,..

Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, if I have a choice? A modulated sample of fish farts'(Would entirely sum up my life) I love it.

The project is looking good.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I think I figured it out, here's the current panel layout/design. From left to right;
PSK DD-2000 Digital delay connectors which has:
- Channel 1 input and Phase output connections (just wired from back to front like a patchbay)
- Gate inputs for Hold and Bypass functions
- CV input and controls for modulation of the delay time.
(more info on the CV mod and gate inputs can be found here
Melt-Yer-Face connectors to interface with my euro-rack modular synth.
CASIO SK-1 line input for sampling, with a level meter and attenuator. The socket is normalled with an input on the backside
which will be connected to one of the output channels of my mixer.
CLK input and RESET output from my DIY drum controller.

The connectors on the right half of the panel will all be connected to some switches that make it possible to connect them to each other in
different ways, including logic AND. It also has protection on the inputs (overvoltage/negative voltage) and output buffers. I will post a
photo of the switches some other time but it is something I put together a while ago using some computer switches meant to connect multiple
devices to a parallel / serial port.

So the panel connectors that will be connected to those switches are:
modular lunetta interface in/outputs
ADRIAN8 drumbox inputs (these are already present on the drumbox but patching will be easier on the panel). Connectors will be
normalled with the outputs of my DIY drum controller.
8 gate outputs for whatever else I want to connect. Don't have a dedicated purpose for those in mind but they can be switched
to the ADRIAN8 inputs and thus the outputs from the drum controller as well, so I could use them to control some other drums.

I did recently order a bunch of 1/4" connectors but I underestimated the amount I could put on the panel so I still don't have enough
of those. And, as it usually goes, I just placed an order for some parts before I figured out I needed more connectors. Mad So that
might take a few months extra.

scraprack_panelfront.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  306.16 KB
 Viewed:  710 Time(s)

scraprack_panelfront.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I drilled some holes. Usually I print out a drill template and than stick it on with some spray-glue and secure it with some masking tape.
However the 'problem' with it is that once you start drilling the paper tears away. I do always use a centre punch before but it is useful to
still have a reference when drilling. This time I had stuck the drill template to some thin cardboard just for testing the spacing and if it would
fit in the rack and I decided to use that for drilling too as a test. So I secured it to the (aluminium) panel punched holes and started drilling.
This actually worked great so I will probably use this method in the future too.

For attaching the final front layout to the panel I usually use special, very thin, double sided adhesive tape. At least for aluminium panels.
But I don't have any at the moment and I wondered if (PVA) woodglue would work. Sticks great to paper and I use it for wooden panels but
I had no idea if it would work well on aluminium. So I did a small test and it seems to hold on very well Very Happy

Scraprack panel - 01.jpg
 Description:
Panel with drill template and 'centre-punched' holes
 Filesize:  128.9 KB
 Viewed:  677 Time(s)

Scraprack panel - 01.jpg

Scraprack panel - 02.jpg
 Description:
Sea of holes
 Filesize:  160.72 KB
 Viewed:  655 Time(s)

Scraprack panel - 02.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I attached the layout so I can start mounting things to te panel. However, I am almost out of solder and I want to use what I have left to finish up
something else (hope it is enough). I will probably have to make a backpanel as well to mount (and label) a bunch of SUB-D connectors. I am not
sure yet if I will use MDF for that or if I have some scrap aluminium left. And as I mentioned I also need some more 1/4" connectors so it will be
on hold for a while. I do have a bit more woodworking to do though.

Scraprack panel - 03.jpg
 Description:
scraprack panel
 Filesize:  194.76 KB
 Viewed:  616 Time(s)

Scraprack panel - 03.jpg

Cfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good.

Broke the iron on my soldering station today, so cabinet building is what I will be doing too.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I mounted the switches to the top by first mounting them on a piece of thin MDF and screwing that to the top. I also added
a cover so I can put something on top. I made it in such a way that it can be removed to have access to the connectors on
the back of the switches. I have some extra space left next to the switches and I am not sure what I will add there, but I
did order a LED strip which I want to mount under the protruding top so maybe I will add a dimmer for that.

Scraprack - 07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.62 KB
 Viewed:  506 Time(s)

Scraprack - 07.jpg

Scraprack - 08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.97 KB
 Viewed:  487 Time(s)

Scraprack - 08.jpg

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice multi pole rotary switches Pho , are they screw terminal or solder on for the wires ?

Dave.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

those switches have solder connections,.. a lot of them.

I received the LED strip so mounted that one today and it works great Very Happy . The whole strip was actually made of 2 parts that were soldered together
and one of them was just the right length. So I removed the solder and split it in half. I used two pieces of wood, one to mount the strip on and one
to cover it so I don't get blinded by it because it is pretty bright. And it also looks better than seeing all the individual LEDs. Although the strip came
with an adhesive backside I did use some epoxy to secure it to make sure it woud stick.

Scraprack LEDstrip - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.69 KB
 Viewed:  471 Time(s)

Scraprack LEDstrip - 01.jpg

Scraprack LEDstrip - 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.11 KB
 Viewed:  509 Time(s)

Scraprack LEDstrip - 02.jpg

Scraprack LEDstrip - 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.88 KB
 Viewed:  494 Time(s)

Scraprack LEDstrip - 03.jpg

Scraprack LEDstrip - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.21 KB
 Viewed:  518 Time(s)

Scraprack LEDstrip - 04.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking good PhoBos.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Cfish Smile

I got all the connectors so those are now installed on the panel. They are mounted on some perfboard connected to angled pin headers.
The idea is to use them together with dupont jumper cables with female connectors, which I'll cut in half and solder to Sub-D connectors.
These have to be mounted on the outside of the backpanel so this way I don't have to run wires though the panel and then solder everything up.
And if I make a mistake somewhere I don't have to desolder anything but just have to reorder the female connectors on the pin headers.

Scraprack panel - 04.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.17 KB
 Viewed:  475 Time(s)

Scraprack panel - 04.jpg

Scraprack panel - 05.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  247.36 KB
 Viewed:  444 Time(s)

Scraprack panel - 05.jpg

Last edited by PHOBoS on Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also soldered up a PWM controller to use as a dimmer for the LED strip. It's the
(final) schematic posted here, but with a 100K pot and a 10nF timing capacitor.

Scraprack LED dimmer - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.74 KB
 Viewed:  455 Time(s)

Scraprack LED dimmer - 01.jpg

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice project!
What does the Casio SK1 doe?
Cfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well that PWM link and the discussion on cmos versus bipolar 555s may have just shined a bright light on a problem I was having.

I almost passed it up because I had no need to dim LEDs right now.

Quick switch of 555s and my problem is gone.

Apparently I used a cmos during testing, and grabbed a bipolar out in the final build and the problem showed up.

Thanks PhoBoS. That was a big help without me asking. Very Happy
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great to hear that was actually useful Very Happy

about the SK1, in case you are not familiar with it, it is a (lofi) sampling keyboard. So you can record something and then play it back
at different frequencies. It has an internal microphone, external mic input and a line input and this line input is what I use most the of time.
To get the best possible sound quality the signal you want to sample needs to be at a certain level, too low and you get noise, too high and
it distorts. However there is no way of telling if the level is correct except for just trying it out. So on the panel I added a level control, which
is just an attenuator, a level meter and a peak indicator. It doesn't work perfect but it gives me some idea if the level is within the correct range.

On the backside there is an input which is normalized to the front input (or is that the other way around ?) so when I plug something into the
front it will use that signal else it will use what I have connected to the back. I wil plug an output from my mixer into the back so I can sample
whatever is connected to the mixer but I can also connect something else using the input on the frontpanel.

Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The first thing I did was googling what an SK1 is, but all I could find was a Casio sampling keyboard.
So you canibalised it and turned it into a module? Nice! Very Happy
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh no, I didn't cannibalize it, although I guess you could make a very nice module out of it. It is going to be in the bottom space of the rack.
What I have in the panel is just the level control which will be plugged into the line-in of the SK-1. Someday I will circuit bent it though, you can
do some awesome stuff with it that way but that is going to be a BIG project. So for now I just leave it as it is.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The panel is finished & mounted and so far everything seems to be working. I did run into a small problem though: The switches have some logic
chips in them which are powered by 12V (from my modular lunetta), however the outputs from my drum controller (and most of the gate outputs
from my modular) are only 5V which is too low. So I soldered up a bunch of comparators and that solved the issue. I also had to make a bunch
of cables to connect everything.

Scraprack panel - 06.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.68 KB
 Viewed:  439 Time(s)

Scraprack panel - 06.jpg

Scraprack panel - 07.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.11 KB
 Viewed:  420 Time(s)

Scraprack panel - 07.jpg

Scraprack panel - 08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  199.65 KB
 Viewed:  460 Time(s)

Scraprack panel - 08.jpg

Scraprack comparators - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.9 KB
 Viewed:  476 Time(s)

Scraprack comparators - 01.jpg

Scraprack cables - 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.07 KB
 Viewed:  452 Time(s)

Scraprack cables - 01.jpg

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is pretty much finished and installed Razz The bracket I used for the LED dimmer is temporary untill I know what I else I want to put in there.
I also have a free slot for a 1U rack unit but I am not sure yet what I'll use it for, I do have spring reverb that would fit. Now I need some
longer patch cables, too bad that the max size of the ones I use seem to be 90cm, 120cm would be nice. I guess I could use some couplers.
And I finally have a place for my Chromotron Very Happy

Scraprack - 10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.37 KB
 Viewed:  448 Time(s)

Scraprack - 10.jpg

Scraprack - 11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  265.76 KB
 Viewed:  489 Time(s)

Scraprack - 11.jpg

Scraprack - 12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  275.34 KB
 Viewed:  475 Time(s)

Scraprack - 12.jpg

Page 1 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Stickney Synthyards
Jump to: