electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Klee Patches and Applications
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Klee Patches and Applications
Subject description: Post your groovy Klee patches and setups here!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought this might be nice to start a thread dedicated to cool patches people thunk up for the Klee.

I'll start off with one that came about through an offline conversation with Ryk and Alison Project. This is a cool concept that never occurred to me when I was writing up the "Know the Klee" doc. It's a method I've mentioned before in other threads (good luck finding those posts!), but the effects of it are something I didn't anticipate until I noodled it out on paper then actually tried it on the Klee.

In "Know the Klee", I mention that in 16X1 Pattern Mode, with Invert B On, the voltage and gate bus patterns will consist of 32 steps, which is a lot considering the Klee only has 16 stages in its two shift registers and only sixteen programming pots. However, it is possible to get sequences as long as 112 steps out of the A+B voltage output! It's such a simple thing, I don't know why I didn't cadge onto it until now.

Basically, the idea is that you can shorten the number of steps of a sequence by patching out of a merged gate bus that has only one step set to it. You patch that gate bus's Gate output to the random input. In this mode, the gate bus is acting as a tap output for the shift register(s). I've discussed this before as a way to link two Klees together.

Now, the idea is that the A+B output consists of the voltages generated by the Register A and Register B programming pots. If you are in the 8X2 mode of operation, and you tap at, say, the seventh stage of register A, it will generate a pattern that repeats every seven steps. Meanwhile, Register B is stepping through its eight steps (assuming Invert B is off). Because the two registers now consist of two patterns of an odd ratio (seven steps for A, eight steps for B), the two will only "line up" (start at the same point) every 56 steps or so (if my assumptions are correct anyway, I've never actually counted what's going on). So, in this state, Output A produces a CV that repeats every seven steps, output B produces a CV that repeats every eight steps, and output A+B outputs a CV that repeats every 54 steps!

Now, flip Invert B ON. Register B will now produce a sixteen step pattern while register A is still producing the seven step pattern. If I'm not mistaken, that means the two patterns will only start at the same point every 112 steps! Again, we have three different numbers here: Output A produces a seven step repeating pattern, Output B produces a sixteen step repeating pattern, and Output A+B produces a 112 step repeating pattern.

Of course, one is not restricted to using seven step sequences - one can set the Gate Bus switch to any tap in Register A to produce differently numbered sequences - for example, setting it to Step 5 will produce a 50 step pattern on A+B (5X8), or an 80 step pattern (5X16). Some patterns won't be as long - if number is divisible into 8, for example, the four step pattern will cycle twice for every 8 steps of Register B, so A+B will never vary more than 8 steps.

Jeez, long explanation - if you've got your Klee already built, you can try it with the following settings:

1. Set Random/Pattern to Random
2. Example pattern for Register A for the pattern Bits: 10110000. Set Register B pattern to whatever (experiment with both).
3. Set the Stage 7 gate bus switch only to Gate Bus 1, use Gate Busses 2 and 3 for all other gate bus switch settings.
4. Set Gate Bus 1 to Merge.
5. Set 8X2/16X1 for "8X2".
6. Patch from the Gate Bus 1 Gate Output to the Random Input.
7. Set Invert B on or off, to taste.
8. Load the pattern and clock it through. Observe the results on each voltage output.

Now, you can vary this thing all over the place - just remember, the Gate Bus you use as the register tap (in this example it's Gate Bus 1) must be merged.

Try different taps, even in register B, and try 16X1 mode, Invert B On or off. Merge and unmerge (unmerging will cause the tap to not be "seen" by the random input - it'll always be low when the Random input is "looking at" the input signal).

Cheerio,
Scott

23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott, you are a genius. I cant wait to try your idea. Must finish Klee soon.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Now, flip Invert B ON. Register B will now produce a sixteen step pattern while register A is still producing the seven step pattern. If I'm not mistaken, that means the two patterns will only start at the same point every 112 steps! Again, we have three different numbers here: Output A produces a seven step repeating pattern, Output B produces a sixteen step repeating pattern, and Output A+B produces a 112 step repeating pattern.

Very clever indeed. I shall call this patch "The Long Run" and place this in my journal. Thanks for sharing this one!!

I had to really expand my modular a bit so I just got another Blacet VC Oscillator, An Improbablity Generator (Noise S/H module with quantizer) and another DC /Audio Mixer Processor. I can then do more serious experimentation. I really have not been recording anything yet, just playing Wink

Thanks,
Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Long Run - that's good!

I've got so much Klee stuff recorded, I couldn't figure out which one to post if I had to (I'm at 99% of my post limit anyway). I cleaned off the D8 and found a bunch of Klee stuff I'd recorded in that "Hmmm...I should record this." mode and then forgotten about, and there's more I actually copied over to computer before that I keep running across.

It's kind of fun playing them back, because half of them I barely remember recording, so I have to guess what patch I was using at the time....

It's like someone else has been fiddling around with the synth and leaving these weird, quirky recording behind Laughing

Pehr

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

#1: Merged gates out to external sequencer clock inputs. Very interesting patterns.

#2: "Swing klee": klee clocked by a VCLFO that is controlled by one of the channels of CV from the klee.

http://www.garageband.com/artist/loxodrom
http://soundcloud.com/loxodrom
DrakheEM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With the number of Klee's built to date, I'm sure there must be lotsa patches floating arround. Come on, show us your best Klee patches Wink
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: