electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Ever get this sorta feeling?
Page 1 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Ever get this sorta feeling? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally got all the technical details in my studio resolved and have begun work on realizing my most recent "serious" composition but I keep getting the feeling that what Mahler was to German Romanticism my serious music is to cheesy Hollywood scores. I guess this shouldn't bother me even if analytically correct ...but it does. Rolling Eyes
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I kinda know that feeling.. Shocked Very Happy

But do get on with the job! And keep us posted re the progress!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't imagine you writing anything cheesy, but nonetheless I look forward to hearing it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember some years ago someone said about my music:
"Nice tunes, but the samples and presets are rather cheesy".. so... well.. not bad .. taking into consideration that I then used analog synths with no presets and no samplers whatsoever.. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys, thanks for the sympathy and encouragement. Went through the piece again, went outside, watched the cattle graze, cleaned some horse stalls--and whilst shoveling came to the conclusion that the score needs more work. I may take a break from this piece and get back to one of the songs that are in progress. This one will, perhaps, look better latter.
aquanaut

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

don't compare. i don't think any of the composer i like where mesuring themselves toward other when making their music. A few days ago i saw a concert recorded for tv in 57 by Glenn Gould, each time i hear this man i feel like stopping everything because of the quality of his playing. it's like i don't have to try to make music it's already been done. and then i try to search for something i might have overlooked. The end result is not important, the mean you took are. That's cheesy hein?
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elektro80 wrote:
I remember some years ago someone said about my music:
"Nice tunes, but the samples and presets are rather cheesy"

Funny how those little statements stick with you. I could tell you a million times, and truthfully, that your music isn't in the slightest way cheesy, and you'd still remember that one stupid comment.

Notice the bias I took with regard to the word "cheesy". How do I know your weren't writing commercial music for a cheese company? Then you would be doing good to write cheesy music. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

niko_91 wrote:
i don't think any of the composer i like where mesuring themselves toward other when making their music.

That's probably right. It's not very productive. Brahms was always comparing himself to other composers and coming up short. He would write autographs with where he'd write a short tune by another composer and sign it "Unfortunnately not by Johannes Brahms."
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

niko_91 wrote:
don't compare.

I have to agree but need to explain that the feeling came from the literal thought, which itself came not from doing a comparison, nor from any evaluative process. Rather the thought came out of the process of analysis.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Analysis is fine, judgement sucks...
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And you have to understand that Mahler was a post Romantic Romantic and that his musical style has a particular derivative relationship with Romanticism, particularly on points of salience. And my original statement assumed a clear and concious picture of all this.
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey! That's the Howard I remember! Cool man!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
And you have to understand that Mahler was a post Romantic Romantic and that his musical style has a particular derivative relationship with Romanticism, particularly on points of salience. And my original statement assumed a clear and concious picture of all this.

Very Happy

too much coffee

This I really wanna hear! Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you saying you're a post cheesy chesey?

I was cleaning up my studio and found this on the floor behind one of the piles of junk that was in front of one of the other piles of junk. It's a button made at a carnival or a fair. My guess is the date is 1971, maybe 72.

For those that don't know, Robert, AKA Bachus, and I were pals since about 3 or 4 years before that picture was taken.

When I change the avatar, no one will understand this message... Cool
bachus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
This I really wanna hear! Very Happy

At least once anyway huh? Ummmm its cheeeesy good

Sorry...couldn't resist.
bachus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seriously Electro

I have a hard time taking myself seriously as a major part of my life is rather like a surrealist joke. And if I take the world seriously I get dangerously depressed.

So most of my angst gets transformed into music--good or bad is for someone else to decided.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, when I think of it.. I tend to feel the same way now and then...

dasz hanged head banging monitor

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
play

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

read "Transmetropolitan"

or maybe that only works for me.

::)
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well.. Stabat Mater, Carmina Burana and Valis ( PKD ) often does for me.. YMMV

Cool

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy .. BBC radio plays

always does it for me

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

42! Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
bachus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: BTW Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If my warped humor, which ranges from pre-adolescent to radical dead pan miss-statements, has offended anyone I apologize. But must warn that it will happen again (sigh)--I just can't help myself.
jkn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ha! Great thread - the humor is heavy with a bit of an aftertaste. Nice.

Comparisons - hard not to do it isn't it?

I find with most tracks that I write - the initial session is often one uninterupted stretch of time where something clicks in my head that I'm headed the right direction. Maybe I've been noodling about with a sound or melody or chord progression or whatever for months - but that moment of creation where it all rushes together and I merge a few noodling ideas into something that 'works' for me - what a wonderful moment.

And then I'll get up the next morning and listen to it and go - 'eh'. It's not that great. What I was trying to achieve I never came close to. It sounds too much like artist 'x'. So I'll leave it alone for a bit.

And circle back to it in a week or a month... and then - the more knee jerk side of me is out of the way and I can hear it for what it is - not the excitement during the writing, or the that sucks moment the day after - or the obvious comparisons (which oddly - are never as bad as I usually think). It's interesting. Anyway - once a bit of time has passed on a track I can dive back into it - start editing levels - layer in some other bits. Etc...

That has generally been my pattern for a long time - I know I do it - so I just shelve the "bad" stuff for a while and come back to it later knowing it's probably not nearly as bad as I originally thought. I tend to be my harshest critic (which is certainly not uncommon).

Of course - there are alwasy exceptions. I'm generally wary of anything I really think is great the next day since those tracks generally wear thin quickly (and you'd think since I know this I'd purposefully not like my own tracks the next day... but I don't (usually) - I'm a bit odd I think.)

Anyway - comparisons are fine - and striving to write material in a certain style or like a certain composer is fine as an excersize - just never take those comparisons too seriously. Keep a nice salt lick handy in your studio. (a grain of salt just doesn't cut it)
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:

When I change the avatar, no one will understand this message... Cool

that's exactly what I was thinking Shocked

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bachus wrote:
I have a hard time taking myself seriously as a major part of my life is rather like a surrealist joke.

maybe it does not help but you are not alone with that sort of feeling Wink

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 1 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: