electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Barely Legal Transmitter (BLT) Ideas
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor wrote:
... they treated me rudely and with disdain.

Woah, that's a very unusual report about hams. I'm very surprised. Shocked

If the local hams are like that, then maybe you should not waste time with them.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Inventor wrote:
... they treated me rudely and with disdain.

Woah, that's a very unusual report about hams. I'm very surprised. Shocked

If the local hams are like that, then maybe you should not waste time with them.

It was Raleigh, North Carolina USA Hams. I'm just north of Miami Florida USA now so I bet if I tried again it would be great. I don't have to tell you how awesome Hams are, doing emergency services for the community and helping each other and all that jazz. But yeah, no matter how good a group of people is, there are always a few who have a little growing up to do!

TheShaggyDA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One problem I can foresee is that of others swamping the signal - if each unit is also a transmitter, what's stopping someone from abandoning the incoming signal, and transmitting their own? It's been a few years since I dabbled, but I gave up on CB radio because of the kids just leaving the mic keyed, "bangin' out their choonz" Sad
Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is another silly idea but I'll toss it into the mix and see if it gets shot down easily. I wonder if, rather than use two frequencies, it would be possible to create a circuit that works with just one. I'm thinking of a negative impedance circuit combined with automatic gain control in such a way that the weak input signal gets amplified back to its own antenna.

I know, sounds crazy and probably is. But while working with the circuit described in the following electro-music.com thread:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23234.html

I noticed something interesting. I had set up the oscillator just outside of the oscillation region and tuned in the neighborhood of 60 Hz. Then when I touched the nodes of the oscillator it started oscillating at 60 Hz with a nice clean sinusoid. When I removed my finger the oscillation stopped. I deduced that my body was an antenna picking up the 60 Hz magnetic field of my apartment's wiring and that weak signal was enough to make the oscillation occur. The circuit's Q could be detuned to accommodate music bandwidth, and the output fed to the antenna.

Somthing that simple might not work, but with additional creative ideas perhaps it could be made to work. I don't know, just thinking out loud about a silly idea but I thought I'd share it and see if it sparks your creativity somehow. What do you think?

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Inventor -
Here's an approach for you to think on Smile

bruce

A_New_Approach_to_Synchronous_FM_BCEWHP.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  A_New_Approach_to_Synchronous_FM_BCEWHP.pdf
 Filesize:  221.92 KB
 Downloaded:  497 Time(s)

Inventor
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bruce, that was an interesting read, though most of the figures were missing. Another point of reference to consider here.
shebb

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject:
Subject description: modding cheap transmitter
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have thought alot about this stuf in the past, and always wondered if it woud just be as easy as using something like the ramsey fm25b, and somehow patching the gain of a higher powered radio amp into the guts of the ramsey.

seems like another, maybe unrealistic, but possibly cheap method.
Page 2 of 2 [32 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: