electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
HEY PEAKE... the 258
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
numbernone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: HEY PEAKE... the 258 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike,

While wading thru the intense bitch session over at Modularsynth.net, I couldnt help but notice you mentioning your intention to loose your PCB design for the 258 oscillator on the world.

I think you will find a much more pleased audience over here, where everyone is hungry to explore, and not get overly stuck on trying to crush others opinions and spirits.

Let me be the first to sing praises to the heavens for this bounty!!!
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://ebolatone.blogspot.com/2011/05/buchla-258b-remake-project.html

See my post on page two for a complex Buchla soundbite.

There are at least two other new DIY projects related to the 258 going on at this moment; I don't know if both or either will be publicly available, or if they're solely for the individuals building them. One of them replaces the uA726, which I can understand, but that might well change things. Most of my favorite oscillators use that IC... I don't know about the other project.. I have enough 726s to take care of myself, but do other folks?

Since I'm doing this for myself regardless, it wouldn't be a problem to simply post the artwork, if Don has no problem with my so doing. It's also not a problem to me if he says no, if no one wants to use them after I post them, or if others release finished or DIY projects.

Oh, and you're going to need a vintage power supply Wink Laughing

Last edited by Peake on Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
bubblechamber

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

Oh, and you're going to need a vintage power supply Wink Laughing

now if some one came up with a module that turned a nice clean modern current into something more like the unstable and dirty current provided by the power supplies of the 60's and 70's we might really be getting somewhere.
d

elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right... uh... the Behringer Convolution Pro PSU ? Shocked
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

They don't have a 60 Hz model I'm affraid ...

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
elektro80 wrote:

They don't have a 60 Hz model I'm affraid ...

Nah, but it comes with a dirty wavetable.. with presets like Murmansk 1937, Edison 1890 and Bond Street 1971.. classics..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Deluxe model has something they call "The Tesla Surprise" Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Idea

A convolution power supply that can mimic old and nasty power supplies?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It wouldn't be vintage ... likewise I was thinking we needed internet hum servers, 60 Hz for Buchlas and Moogs ... but not vintage either ... no other way than to import your own power plant I'm afraid ... there could be some CO2 emission issues, but with a bit of money that shouldn't be a real problem.
Peake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can do what makes you giggle- I have a vintage Buchla power supply, and I'm not afraid to use it. You'd best cover your sensitive ears, as they might likely be offended beyond repair Shocked Wink
Peake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait- I have absolutely horrific news- If you have listened to my track "Impart/Tangent_Buchla200", you have heard a vintage power supply. Same with "Sunday in the Park with Borg".

You may require therapy Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Edit: virb.com/peake

Last edited by Peake on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

speaking of ua726... anyone ever tried them from HSS? any other sources? i've been looking for a while and i've come up empty
Peake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HEY PEAKE... the 258 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
I think you will find a much more pleased audience over here, where everyone is hungry to explore, and not get overly stuck on trying to crush others opinions and spirits.

Sure, once we've gotten the mandatory 1st page of nonsense out of the way Wink

I'm used to being alone among synthesists regarding my perceptions (aside from those who have bought gear based upon my having shared it with them, such as giant Moog modulars, SH5s, etc.). Laughing
Luka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im interested.

buchla just uses some switching psu eh?

is it a problem just to using rectified psu and then dropping voltage down to specified range? i really have no clue of the power specs buchla runs on

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubblechamber wrote:
speaking of ua726... anyone ever tried them from HSS? any other sources? i've been looking for a while and i've come up empty

HSS is fake.
Soundukdave on ebay is ok.
Peake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, regardless of any amount of distraction, I will continue, even if only for myself. I have another "clone" in the works which I cannot share because it is of something currently in production. Do YOU have anything like that in your list of projects?
bubblechamber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks mono-poly. Soundukdave has never come up on my ebay searches. now i just need to suck it up and order a few.
d

scriptstyle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
BTW, regardless of any amount of distraction, I will continue, even if only for myself. I have another "clone" in the works which I cannot share because it is of something currently in production. Do YOU have anything like that in your list of projects?

hey peake this ^ this is your 666th post. CREEPY!!?
Peake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm typing this from the 13th floor.

How lovely that people are interested in the things that I most like: Trine phasers, Solina chorus, Dimension D, SEM oscillators, Roland filters Laughing and now the Buchla gear. I feel better about my years of pointing out Buchla gear as the diamond mine that it is, if it has helped raise interest and even helped along modules based upon it (even if you completely lose the Buchla tactile experience). The world is becoming more of what I like Very Happy
Peake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: HEY PEAKE... the 258 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:
Mike, While wading thru the intense bitch session over at Modularsynth.net.........and not get overly stuck on trying to crush others opinions and spirits.

I hope that you are not directly referring to my standing up for the facts in the face of those who can only prosper by negating the facts. There are years of issues involved and the sole core is an attempt to manage selfishness beyond acceptability into something resembling the professional behaviour exhibited by ALL OTHER manufacturers. Not every synth is a Wiard or Buchla. There are reasons and they must be clear for those to whom it matters. Is it too much to ask? That of course is rhetorical. And I'll just start a new thread if another word is posted regarding it.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

Nah, I quit with that Laughing besides ... I like what you're doing.

Peake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Peake wrote:

Nah, I quit with that Laughing besides ... I like what you're doing.

Based upon the array of nonsense and noise seen above, and your participation in it, I will have to say that I find your comment here rather patronizing and look forward to the day when I no longer find such things in my communications with others. Regards...

Anyway, the artwork is done; I just have to trace through it to confirm it and then build one up. Is anyone here actually going to try two-sided press'n'peel?
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
I will have to say that I find your comment here rather patronizing

I'm sorry, it was not meant as such.

verbos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Luka wrote:
im interested.

buchla just uses some switching psu eh?

is it a problem just to using rectified psu and then dropping voltage down to specified range? i really have no clue of the power specs buchla runs on

Buchla 200e uses a 12volt wallwart that goes through DC-DC converters to get the +/-15 and +5 volt lines. These are switching supplies.

The supply Mike is talking about is linear, just very old. I has a 48 volt centertapped transformer. It was made before IC regulators were invented. As such, it uses 741 opamps and discrete transistors to regulate the +/-15 and +5 voltages.

Mark
paults

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A clever tip that Neve uses in the Portico mic preamps is to use a 9V wall wart, to a +-18V switcher, then use linear post-regulation for the +-15V op amps (NE5532). The hard part is finding an off-the-shelf switcher that is not preset to either +-12V or +-15V. A compromise would use a +-15V output then regulate to +-12V via linears.

There are many useful app notes on low-noise switchers at Linear Technology's website: www.linear.com

Last edited by paults on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: