electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Vocoder projects?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 6 [138 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
b-funk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi ganzha,

i have some spare nos sa571 i can let go for 2,50 €...
contact me via pm if you are interested...

best wishes,

tobias
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those of you attempting the Okita vocoder project I recommend leaving out the signal and peak indicator circuits unless someone can figure out how to get them working right, especially w/o the op-amps getting too hot to touch. Changing the gain pots to 250k or 100k would be a better idea too. Anything past 1/4 of the way with 500k pots gets super distorted.

I would also recommend adding a 470K resistor on each pin 1 & 16 of the NE570 or SA571's as the high frequencies tend to open the VCA's. I found this out through this guys site http://www.sdiy.org/cbm/vocoder.htm. After adding the resistors I did notice a nice difference in sound.
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

P.S. I uploaded my Okita vocoder design to my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7749201@N02/2887359062/

I like the setup but for some reason the design is buggin me now. Mad

The borders look a lil' goofy right? Bah I wish I wasn't so undecisive with my designs Evil or Very Mad

P.P.S. If anyone wants the layout in .pdf form pm me for a copy. I have one with and without the delay section that follows the measurements in the okita manual.
Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: I have got NE570 from Hong Gonk Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

Finally (after 2 days of waiting ) I have got IC.s from Chine!
That is great!!!
Now I am waiting for TL074 from London / I like to use 4 OP Ic\s instead of double OP RC4558D / it is not possible to get them for reasonable prices but TL074 costed around 60 cents per Ic's

What do think about TL074?

Ganzha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: About Poti 50 K B Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

About this poti / is it posible simple put resistors for example 47 k or 33 k
Is this adjustment really needs?

janvanvolt

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: About Poti 50 K B Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FYI, i acquired synthmongers okita and working now thru it, but might need some help.

I already figured out some transport damage (fixed now) and the FET was wrong (NTE xxx instead of the 2SK30A).

Still need to work around everything ( and check wirings ), because there is way too much amplification.

i will probably rework the jacks and the wiring with shielded cable to improve this.

jeffery girlsbottom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not built a DIY synth as big as this project seems to be.
Nor have I had to source components and pay huge amounts for them.
Though I have soldered in high school and soldered recently, so I do have experience. Its not as if I've never held one before etc I have had quite some time with soldering.
I have actually made a very simple mono touch synth kit twice before. and back in school had to work out which components to get etc.

This Okita looks lush, I hope it sounds lush.
Though it looks like a lot of fucking around, having to find/ask to get the PCB design, then having to find a place to get the PCB printed, having to email back and forth countless times, asking people on this forum questions regarding this or that. Then having to find the right components and on and on and on etc
It takes a lot of time and patience, of which I do not have.
I dont want to end up spending over $225 as well.
The paia looks like my only REAL option, as I dont think I will be able to do all that work to get a Okita made. I know all of you must have jobs and money etc but I dont have a job and dont really have much money either.
So tell me someone, should I just get the paia kit?
Or can someone help/advise me?
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you have already talked yourself into it...go Paia Very Happy

Okita or other vocoders out there are pretty advanced projects and you can be sure there will be a lot of debugging to get thru.

or Jurgen Haible's vocoder PCB is expected in August. JH doesn't muck around when it comes to anything with a filter, no doubt that will be the best vocoder PCB available anywhere!
jeffery girlsbottom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm I guess I should wait and get the JH vocoder then.
Just, in the last 6 months I was hoping to get 2 of his pcbs and make them, but then I realized how much it would have cost to make; over $1500 australian easily.
That is way way too much money. I'm only prepared to spend about $250 altogether, no way over $300.
How much is the JH vocoder going to cost? the pcb? and the components?
andrewF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

$1500 for 2 modules would be too much for me too.
how do you calculate that?

For me I always make my own panels from scrap - dead computers or whatever i find on the side of the road. do my own labels, print them out, cover with contact....costs 20c a module tops and a couple of hours. (no job for me either)
i recycle a lot of components, all my wiring comes from dead computers, but if i need to buy anything - futurlec or Rockby (in Vic).

JH's PCBs are not cheap, but surely it will be well under AUS$100. Parts shouldn't come to more than another 100, if you buy from the above mentioned companies. Then build your own panel, find a dead 70s stereo on the side of the road for an enclosure (hopefully with a working power supply) and ...
voila!
vocoder for $200......or so Wink
jeffery girlsbottom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this how you are planning to make the JH Vocoder?
yeah I was thinking of making the DIM TD and calculated a close estimate of around 1000 AUS, that is; the actuall pcbs(4 which I think was needed) and then having to get them shipped here, then having to get all components which I thought just get the kit that was availiable for it, and it came to lareg sum of money. I was also thinking of making the solina chorus, and that too would have risen the budget to $1500, with all the components thrown in and panels etc
I cant spend that much. Plus I could not be arsed, I'm def a lazy cunt Smile
If you are going to make the JH vocoder in the price range you mentioned then so will I.
you've actually made it sound fun, long-term (kind of)/ saving costs.
I like your method of scraping old computers etc, I didnt even think of that.
thank you!
Do you have any other ideas to cut the costs down?
andrewF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jeffery girlsbottom wrote:
Is this how you are planning to make the JH Vocoder?

Do you have any other ideas to cut the costs down?

I make all my gear this way, half the fun and a great deal of satisfaction comes from making synths for as few $$ as possible. Of course it means an endless series of compromises! Synth diy is a cheap hobby, if you want it to be.

guess you have to find good sources, there used to be an electronics recycling yard near me. they were happy for me to fossick thru and take away anything i liked, it meant less work for them.
old mixing desks are total gold - full of pots, knobs and op-amps.
Old 70's organs are good too, nice power supply, reverb tank, pots, knobs and opamps.
always tour around suburbs having 'bring-out-your-dead' days and grab any gear that looks useful, collect all the knobs and pots off old tvs, radios and washing machines.
I always carry a few tools to dismantle any items 'on the spot'.

Rykhaard (a member here) is good at building on a budget, worth checking out some of his stuff.
magman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you are planning on waiting for the JH Vocoder, its worth noting that JH has already stated that the PCB set is going to cost around 150 euros. This will pretty much blow your budget straight away.

I doubt you will find an inexpensive complete design for a Vocoder, as they rely on a large number of filters if I recall correctly. You may have to work out some of your own designs on test bench to be able to reduce the cost.

Good hunting anyway.

Regards

Magman
jeffery girlsbottom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fuck this
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fuck this
Shocked

anyways, why not looking for an old used vocoder? you will get a dynacord/synvox or a korg for a reasonable price, i guess. no DIY-fun, though.

andrewF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fuck this

Laughing Paia it is then ?
magman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a simple design that was published by ETI back in 1982 (that was actually written by StephenGiles of these very forums).

It would need some development to get this into a working design, but as its a simple circuit (based on 2/3rds of a 4049 and a transistor per filter channel, plus 1/2 of another 4049 as buffers) it should be possible to breadboard a simple design then build multiple filters onto matrix board (say 3 filters to a board - just 2 chips and 3 transistors) then stack them up to say 21 or more channels of filters. I recon the cost will be about £3 per channel plus the matrix board, so about £90-100 including a PSU but excluding a case. Prices go up from there if you want all the pots on the front panel, rather than presets

I would be unlikely to have time to do this myself, as I've got too many projects already, but it may be a good learning experience for someone else. I'm hoping to get permission from the copyright owner to allow this kind of article to be re-presented on the web, I'll let you know how this progresses.

Regards

Magman
expanoncolin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synth_ollie wrote:
crashlander42 wrote:
Can you point me towards a PDF of that PCB?

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/forums.html?subdir=Schematics%2FOOP%20Japanese%20Electronics%20Book&sortby=name

the voc and vocoder files at the bottom of the page,
there are more than one pcb to build the complete vocoder though....

cheers,

OLLIE

I've been getting 404's from this link - the correct link is

http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/diy/Schematics/OOP%20Japanese%20Electronics%20Book/

-Colin

StephenGiles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

magman wrote:
As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a simple design that was published by ETI back in 1982 (that was actually written by StephenGiles of these very forums).

It would need some development to get this into a working design, but as its a simple circuit (based on 2/3rds of a 4049 and a transistor per filter channel, plus 1/2 of another 4049 as buffers) it should be possible to breadboard a simple design then build multiple filters onto matrix board (say 3 filters to a board - just 2 chips and 3 transistors) then stack them up to say 21 or more channels of filters. I recon the cost will be about £3 per channel plus the matrix board, so about £90-100 including a PSU but excluding a case. Prices go up from there if you want all the pots on the front panel, rather than presets

I would be unlikely to have time to do this myself, as I've got too many projects already, but it may be a good learning experience for someone else. I'm hoping to get permission from the copyright owner to allow this kind of article to be re-presented on the web, I'll let you know how this progresses.

Regards

Magman

Hi there, I did that and a few others at a time that I was short of money and they paid the princley sum of £20 per Tech Tip published. After the first one I did appeared in Tech Tips, which I think was breadboarded and worked, and they coughed up the £20, it seemed a good wease to do some more. Thereafter I did nothing more than write them out - remember those times before PCs Laughing and their may have been 7 or 8 that made the pages of ETI Tech tips, but they should be regarded as nothing more than ideas.

However, the Hobby Electronic Auto Waa was a working design, but changed by the editor because he didn't believe the circuit I submitted.
magman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stephen,

I've spotted a few more of your "Tech Tips" entries as I was recently building a list of electro-music related articles in ETI (of which I've found 258 so far).

Once my project stack has reduced in size a little, I was planning to breadboard this circuit to see if/how it works. If I get anything like the kind of filtering required, we'll see whether this can make this into a workable vocoder. The parts are cheap enough, even if it doesn't perform like a full vocoder, it might give some interesting filtering effects that can be played with (like putting vactrols in place of the presets and seeing if makes a reasonable voltage controlled filter).

Regards

Magman
Ricko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speaking of possible simpler designs, Futurlec has these 8x optoisolator boards. If you took a couple of these and stuck BPF at each input and output and ran the carrier as the source voltage for the output trannies, you would get a very cheap vocoder.
freewave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am fairly confident I could photo etch the okita voc board,however that seems like a lot of holes to drill. I wonder if anyone has used a cnc drill to drill the holes for this board. It would be a nice addition to any shop.

Regards
julian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive been considering making some changes here to allow pcb production by isolation milling.

I can do it at the moment - the accuracy is spot on, but its too slow to be commercially viable, and some hardware changes would be needed to make it quicker.

I was going to start asking about if there would be any interest in a service like this, but i haddnt gotten arround to it yet!

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

freewave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are lots of those CNC routers on the net. I was looking at one the other day that only cost 250 dollars with the stepper motors and every thing you need basically. It only had a working area of 6x4 which would be a bit to small for the voco board. I am going to try and get hold of the fellow that sells those machines and see if the work area can be extended a little.

Regards Ron
NiceInfo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, just found this through G**gle Very Happy

i'm always wanted to have a vocoder, but i already have a novation x-station 49 [and don't want microkorg]

so i searched the net and found this page Razz

i've already downloaded the .pdf file, but in page 3 someone posts that the vocoder has an error on it, are the PCB layouts in the .pdf file still have an error?

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 4 of 6 [138 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: