electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Variation change causes wild behaviour
Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Variation change causes wild behaviour Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the attached performance, I have some strings in slot A (assigned to bottom KB split) and a shimmery thing in C (top KB split) and in D, I have a sound effect that slides up to a note D, activated by hitting the first button in the Global Param assignments (to avoid having to change KB assignments on the fly in a gig).
So far so good...
However, I want to be able to switch to another variation for the strings in slot A, but when I do so, all the other sounds go completely mad. If I switch back to var 1 for slot A, the slot C sound seems to go back to normal but the slot D sound stays messed up.
Any idea what's going on here??? I have tried to simplify the patches to reduce DSP load. Can't think what else to do...
Cheers, Angus

Seeker.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Seeker.prf2
 Filesize:  7.34 KB
 Downloaded:  1233 Time(s)

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has all gone quiet out there! I have a gig tonight and am still struggling with this - feeling a little
Any suggestions??
Cheers, Angus
Roland Kuit

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 127

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: seeker Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see in slot D,
somethimes you have the Osc's kbd On, and in other variations,
kbd Off. Can that be it?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:
It has all gone quiet out there!

I'm sorry, I only had time for a quick look and didn't have a clue :-(

Jan.
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think it can be KBD because when I switch back to the original variations, some of the patches stay messed up. It's really bizarre. Think it must be a bug of some kind.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you sure you're not deselecting the keyboard for the slots at any time? The patch works for me with all variations of Slot A. Well, I may be wrong because I don't know what this performance is supposed to sound like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Totally sure. It's really strange - even when I switch back to the original variations, the sounds stay completely mixed up. I'll check it's nothing to do with morph settings or anything like that but I really don't think it is. Maybe it's something to do with being a Mac user??
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Embarassed Laughing Cool Evil or Very Mad Idea
Epiphany!!
OK - should anyone be as foolish as me and find themselves in the same situation, here is the solution...
As I had assigned slot D to a button on the G2, I wanted that button to show up on the control panel when I switched to that variation. In order to achieve this, I saved the performance with the patch settings on the G2 set to Global mode. However, in global mode, a variation change in one patch causes a variation change in all patches, and this was the cause of my problems (one of the patches was stored in var 7 and obviously changed to slot 1 when I changed another patch to var 2 and then back to var 10.
How ironic that the answer should come to me after five bottles of San Miguel! Fortunately, the technical highlight of last night's gig was the fire alarm going off and tripping out the whole PA system for the Swiss Building in Leicester Square in London, so I don't think too much attention was paid to the Nord sound effects.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:
Maybe it's something to do with being a Mac user??

I tried it out on my Mac and it seems OK. I am running the latest beta version of the software though. Maybe there is a chance that my version is reacting differently - don't know.

Curious, do you have an expander board in your G2?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahhh. The old Global Mode variation sync gotcha. I figured from your comments that you weren't in global mode becasue you said you were chaning the variation of slot A. Laughing

AngusHastie wrote:
How ironic that the answer should come to me after five bottles of San Miguel! Fortunately, the technical highlight of last night's gig was the fire alarm going off and tripping out the whole PA system for the Swiss Building in Leicester Square in London, so I don't think too much attention was paid to the Nord sound effects.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

drunken hobo drinking
Five bottles of San Miguel can have variable effects - no doubt. Twisted Evil

That gig sounds pretty normal, unfortunely. Wink Wish I could have been there... drunken hobo drinking

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have I started a trend in excessive use of those little yellow smiley face guys?
The gig was fun, but the words "Hello, Cleveland" did spring to mind...
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you cruse around the depths of these forums you find a few examples of emoticons as an art forum. Your use of them isn't excessive.

I guess you know you can easilly add images to these posts with the IMG tag
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Are you one of these guys?

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah - glad the web site is easily found. I'm the guy on the left looking like he's having something surgically removed from where the sun doesn't shine. There's some music on the site but a lot of it is sans G2 given that it's a recent purchase and we've made do with stage pianos up until now. Also, note that I receive only vocals and guitar credits - not a word about the hours spend patches sounds on the G2, or any of my piano parts. Oh well. I'll just throw a G2 party when we get signed (any time now....!!). I'm working on persuading our drummer to play to a click track so we can base some songs around some sequenced synth stuff.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, good to see you. I was hoping you were the one second from the right. Laughing
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to disappoint Very Happy
Second from the right is Sara, the band fox. She's the only reason any of my mates come to see us play. I can assure you that her relationship with the rest of the band is entirely platonic Twisted Evil
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Our band has a fox also. Unfortunately, it's Bill Fox. Crying or Very sad

He's a great musician but nobody would pay money to look at him. Laughing

(sorry Bill)

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, I don't know. I mean, he has a certain rugged quality. A lot of girls go for that sort of thing. Maybe we should introduce him to Sara... Very Happy[/img]

bill.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.27 KB
 Viewed:  10713 Time(s)

bill.jpg

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha ha ha... Laughing

I bet he'll book his ticket immediately.

Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: