electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
128 word virtual RAM memory
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: 128 word virtual RAM memory
Subject description: with read and store functionality
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's something the G2 hasn't been able to pull off up to now, and brings it further into Reaktor-territory.

It's a dynamic memory array of 128 words that can be read from or stored into. Use for eg. dynamic lookup tables, live 128-note sequencers with record function, algorithmic stuff, etc.

Due to its design, it updates at most every 256 samples (it fluctuates when the read/write address is changed, but it's never more than 256). This equals max. 2.66 milliseconds, or 375 Hz, which still compares very well to the refresh rate of the mod engines of many synths. However, this means some precautions when integrating it into a circuit which clocks higher, depending on it has to be implemented.

With this technique, larger and smaller RAM memories which follow numerical row of the power of 2 (64, 128, 256, 512 etc) can easily be made. The update rate will go higher or lower accordingly, as well as the DSP usage, in the case when more than one clocked delay module is required. Eg., a 512 word RAM array would need 4 extra modules (3 delays, one for calibration) and refresh every 10.666 msec, which might still be usable for many applications.

The memory content is preserved over the variations. Naturally, it cannot be saved with the patch however.

The details are described in the patch itself.

DSP usage (the raw circuit without the demonstrational extras):
8.5% cycles, 9.4% memory. Not bad. Smile

cheers,
tim

128 Word RAM TK.pch2
 Description:
128 word virtual RAM memory with read and store functionality

Download
 Filename:  128 Word RAM TK.pch2
 Filesize:  1.95 KB
 Downloaded:  1606 Time(s)

jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! They say Necessity is the Mother of Invention....so, what's the mother - are you working on more grainular synthesis engines? loopers?
Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jksuperstar wrote:
Nice! They say Necessity is the Mother of Invention....so, what's the mother - are you working on more grainular synthesis engines? loopers?

Ha, you got me! Laughing Yes, this indeed is a subcircuit of something new I'm working on. Not granular -I think I've taken that as far as I can.
I won't tell yet because the chance of it working is still 50/50. But if it does, it's going to be a new step for the G2.
dorremifasol

G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol sets mode LURKER=ON
seb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Tim, that looks really nice! But unfortunately it doesn't work for me: I just loaded your patch and hit the store button and tried some addresses, but the memory readout is always 0. Do I need to change anything? I'm working on an unexpanded G2 version 1.40.

cheers,
Sen

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Seb,

Hmm, hard to say. It works fine for me on the demo version. I downloaded it again right now from this thread and tried it. Also, I'm already using it in other patches on the hardware. No problem.

The most probable issue is that you are not using the right pointer values for the store and write addresses. In order to access the 128 words, you have to use values 0-63.5 (equalling 128 steps) in discrete increments of 0.5, otherwise the circuit doesn't recognise them.

cheers,
tim
Chrono

Audio files: 37
G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is it possible to share us a Camtasia Studio tutorial:D some stuff of yours is way above my knowledge, as my mathematics are really low developed. But i do know how to use most of your patches.

Do you think a basic DIY tutorial can be found for the g2?
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrono wrote:
is it possible to share us a Camtasia Studio tutorial:D some stuff of yours is way above my knowledge, as my mathematics are really low developed. But i do know how to use most of your patches.

Do you think a basic DIY tutorial can be found for the g2?

One of your neighbors already has one available. Send a PM to Roland Kuit
It's easy for you to get to. Not so easy for the rest of us outside of Europe.

Chrono

Audio files: 37
G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

true, i've noticed his tutorial a while ago. Ill see if i can order it. thnks
seb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tim wrote:

Hmm, hard to say. It works fine for me on the demo version. I downloaded it again right now from this thread and tried it. Also, I'm already using it in other patches on the hardware. No problem.

Hi Tim,

now I tried your patch in the demo version. I load the patch, hit "Store!" and the value (=frequency) changes, so all seems to be fine. On my G2 Key (v1.40) this does not work. I also tried saving the patch to the G2 and restarting it. But the RAM readout is always 0. What is going on...?

Seb

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seb wrote:
tim wrote:

Hi Tim,

now I tried your patch in the demo version. I load the patch, hit "Store!" and the value (=frequency) changes, so all seems to be fine. On my G2 Key (v1.40) this does not work. I also tried saving the patch to the G2 and restarting it. But the RAM readout is always 0. What is going on...?

Seb

Shocked hmm, I'll look into this. I'm very busy right now, perhaps Friday.
stock

G2 patch files: 10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

like Seb, i had the same problem, the patch doesn't work with my modular (v1.40).

So i tried to fix the problem :
* the "counter" circuit made with 1-mixer was strange. i changed for a more predictable bit-counter and D/A converter...
* also change the calculation circuit of adress from level-multiplier to a more basic AND-gate (and i use the other gate to make a clock previously made with Logic-inverter)

now, it works for my modular.
gain 2% of cycle but lose 4% of memory

here is the patch :
in blue, the original patch from Tim
and, in yellow, the modification i made.

128_word_ram_cs_.pch2
 Description:
modifications of the Tim Kleinert's 128 Word RAM memory.
bug fix for v1.40 modular version

Download
 Filename:  128_word_ram_cs_.pch2
 Filesize:  1.91 KB
 Downloaded:  1191 Time(s)

varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stock,

There is a bug with BinCounter module used in your patch. Read this topic for more information:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-23906.html

In your patch, you may be able to connect the unused 128 output the reset input on the BinCounter module to get around this bug. You should test this to see if that works.

stock

G2 patch files: 10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i tested it, and you were right : the patch crash after some time.
so, here the new patch with this bug fixed. it seems to work well now.

i also change the gate-module clock rate to 48kHz. The virtual memory will refresh faster than the previous one.

DSP usage :
6.7 % Cycle
13.3 % Memory

(excuse my bad english)

128_word_ram_cs__fixed.pch2
 Description:
128 word virtual RAM memory. Bug fixed

Download
 Filename:  128_word_ram_cs__fixed.pch2
 Filesize:  1.92 KB
 Downloaded:  1255 Time(s)

Tim Kleinert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for sorting this out Cedric. Smile

Virtual ROM memory (yes) coming soon. Smile
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

?? really? i would like to beef up my old sequencer concepts.. this might be the way...

do you know when this might be a reality?
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what is the reason this patch has to be fixed for Os1.40

is ir working in 1.62? are there other bug fixes or changes in 1.62 that should made us change to 1.62?
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Building Blocks
Jump to: