electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
diy synth kits?
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
lipface

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: diy synth kits? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

someone once linked me to a site where you can order a kit with all the components necessary for building an analog synth. but i can't seem to find it now

rather than hunting that person down i thought i'd see if any of you know of this or any other companies (websites) like this

thanks!
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-5278.html

he is not selling complete kits though. What kind of synth are you talking about here?

http://www.paia.com/

http://www.synthesizers.com/

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
lipface

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah yes! http://www.paia.com

that's what i was looking for thank you

i'm totally new to this, but i'm beginning to have an interest in building experimental instruments, circuit bending toys, etc.

great site you've got here by the way!
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
lipface

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

btw, has anyone here every used anything from http://www.paia.com ?

sound quality? durability? their stuff looks pretty good. just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently helped a friend of mine to assemble the Theremax. He has been having his kit around for years I think, but finally he gave in and asked for help. He feels soldering is a bit like handling nuclear waste. Scary!
The kit is nice and i am thinking about getting one myself. I think it has been upgraded some since he bought it, but this version sounds just fine.

The Paia stuff is pretty popular and I guess some of the designs are absolutely decent. Is this your first synth?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I built the FATMAN. It's a very good basic synth (mono, 2 VCO (sawtooth/ramp), 2 envelopes). One of it's best features is that there are many mods to do that are available all over the net. Adding LFO's, hard sync, and filter mods, plenty to choose from. The basic kit has no case, so durability is up to you.
lipface

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Is this your first synth?

i own a korg ms2000r which i'm just learning to use. a friend went over the basics with me and i now understand it enough to play around a bit more knowlegeably. i love it
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A DIY analog synth is great fun, but I am not sure it really gives you "more" than you already have. Analog DIY gear like that is a kind of aquired taste, and often disappointing if you don´t´know what you are getting yourself into. If you do know.. then the fun starts.. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

However, it does give you very good insight into WHY synths are built the way they are...why you would choose a sawtooth instead of a square or triangle wave (what harmonics to choose?!), what Q and frequency mean to a filter, and what all the options are for an envelope. I think building a DIY kit, then tuning it & using it, really exposes you to details that are largely lost or taken for granted in most modern "monster" synths.

You might not get an obviously new sound, but you will begin to understand (immediately!) the differences between digital & analog sounds, and gain a little more insight into what to do to recreate that sound in your head.
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, very true.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
kenl666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've completed the Fatman and the 9700s. They were a blast to build, and have a very good sound. Perhaps I should have done only one or the other, but I wanted to start with the fatman to see if I could do it at all.

The manuals are very easy to follow and do an excellent job of explaining the circuitry, and their service is phenomenal. A few parts were missing from the 9700 kit (understandable since there are so many little parts) and they expressed mailed them even though they didn't need to (I just went to the next module while waiting for the part to arrive).
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenl666 wrote:
I've completed the Fatman and the 9700s.

The 9700 VCO's have an interesting tempco system, how stable do you find them?
kenl666

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
kenl666 wrote:
I've completed the Fatman and the 9700s.

The 9700 VCO's have an interesting tempco system, how stable do you find them?

I have not noticed any problems, but then again I'm not doing a lot of overdubs or double-tracking where it would be real obvious.

But I also let everything warm up for an hour or two.
zynthetix

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have yet to build anything from paia, but they have the cheapest transducers I could find. I am ordering a few of these to build/restore a few drum triggers. The thumb drum set looks interesting and useful, but I am debating it.

has anyone had experience individual with paia parts? transducer based drum triggers as well?
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: diy synth kits? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the DIY modules from Blacet Music Research

http://blacet.com/

I have built up some modules and they are very good quality!

Check them out !
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: