electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Online Music
Yusynth Steiner Filter Demo with commentary
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Yusynth Steiner Filter Demo with commentary Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Recently a few of us have discussed the Yusynth Steiner VCF and so I put together a track where I talk about the filter with examples and end up with a couple minutes of sequencing at the end.

The recording is in glorious dry mono so that you get an accurate idea of the filter's sound.

I backed off the levels when I demo'd the filter's high-resonance (self oscillation) mode. Your ears and your tweeters will appreciate it!

My goal in making this track is to give you an idea of what the Steiner filter is all about.

Enjoy!

SteinerFilterDemo_320.mp3
 Description:
Demo of the Yusynth Steiner VCF with commentary. I know this is a relatively large file however I wanted to preserve the sound of the filter as best as possible. I tried a 160kbps file but it made the band and high pass modes sound distorted. There i

Download
 Filename:  SteinerFilterDemo_320.mp3
 Filesize:  20.65 MB
 Downloaded:  2449 Time(s)

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is awesome, thank you. I'll post something of the version I have, once I get there. Though I don't think I'll be able to match your level of detail Smile
Benjamin AM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds amazing Kevin!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So here's how the version I finished turned out.

The patch: a Thomas Henry VCO-555 pulse, with pulsewidth modulated by a wogglebug smooth CV, into a low pass filter with the cutoff modulated by the same wogglebug's stepped CV. In both filter cases the initial cutoff is set fairly low and resonance set a little bit before self-oscillation (so I don't get screaming oscillation). This whole set up then being driven by a Baby-8 sequence, just the CV output.

All of this going through a TC Electronics reverb pedal....

The first section is the Ruberto Synthacon VCF using a J201 for the output FET buffer. Turbo mode is the only working mode still, so I will just leave the switch up rather than repanel it Smile. I did get some feedback from M.A.Ruberto / Somnium 7 on Soundcloud, who did the design, that I should just forget about making the Turbo mode "work", it was too fiddly and device dependent.

The second section is a Thomas Henry Mankato VCF, using the 24dB output.

The third section is the same Mankato VCF using the 12dB output.

I think the Synthacon sounds more "growly" than the Mankato. Possibly a difference in the behavior of the resonance but I did try to have them set at roughly similar levels (resonance backed off just a bit from self oscillation....)

filter-comparison.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  filter-comparison.mp3
 Filesize:  1.77 MB
 Downloaded:  2184 Time(s)

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Online Music
Jump to: