electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » DSI Synths
New synth: Mopho X4
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: New synth: Mopho X4 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/mophox4/forums.html with specs, video and more pics. 4-voice polyphonic, all-analog signal path, mod matrix, step sequencers, yadda yadda. It's not a Tetra because it's monotimbral, but it can chain with up to three Tetras. The best part: it's only $1299, which is quite a bit lower than I would have expected based on their other products. Maybe this will also mean a price drop for the monophonic Mopho keyboard.

The only downside I see is that it has no audio inputs.
clementshawes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wish I'd have known this was coming.
I was a little turned off at syncing a mopho keys and tetra desktop - this looks amazing!

MarkMosher : ModulateThis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
I wish I'd have known this was coming.
I was a little turned off at syncing a mopho keys and tetra desktop - this looks amazing!

Yes, this looks like the way to go for polyphonic analog. Great price. I'll be curious to hear how people like it.

http://www.markmoshermusic.com
http://www.modulatethis.com

Live 8 Suite; HP Envy14; Launchpad, Remote SL MKII, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Theremin;Absynth 5, Zebra 2, ACE, Diva, ElectraX, Alchemy, Synplant & uTonic, FAW Cirlce; Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova
blacet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Mopho Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got one a couple weeks ago. I've been curious about DSI for a while. This is my first one.

It is a bit heavier than you might expect but this results in a nice solid feel when playing.

Analog generation via digital control; no noticeable VCO drift or out of tune stuff.

Sounds great as you might expect from a designer with this level of experience. I like the programming layout so far and no major complaints to report.

I think that this is a very, very nice synth for the price!
clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's good to hear - I am still keen to have a play with one but I am very interested in jumping over to the MophoX4 - I shall probably make a gear jump in the new year. Swap out the Indigo 2 and Mopho desktop toward a MophoX4.
namnibor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

clementshawes wrote:
That's good to hear - I am still keen to have a play with one but I am very interested in jumping over to the MophoX4 - I shall probably make a gear jump in the new year. Swap out the Indigo 2 and Mopho desktop toward a MophoX4.

Did you ever go for the DSI Mopho X4? Just wondering if so, your impression of it, likes, dislikes, et al?

Waldorf: Blofeld, MicroQ Omega, XT, Q-Rack, PULSE PLUS, NAVE, Miniworks 4-Pole; Virus KB and KC; DSI Evolver Desktop and 2-MEK's(poly-chained)-x2; Korg: Wavestation SR, DW-8000; Alesis: Ion, Fusion--for HollowSun SampleBanks; Novation Supernova 1; Quasimidi Polymorph; Roland SH-32; Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X; Elektron Analog Four, MnM mk1; Reaper, Scarlett 18i20, Studio Maine Coone Cat pre-loaded with toxic wavetables on each fang and claw! Military Training! Crossbow:-)
clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wish I could say yes - it's still on the cards but towards the end of the year - I did, however, get an AN1x which has, so far, satisfied very nicely
namnibor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you see this? Novation Bass Station Keyboard 2!!!!!!

\http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utKZJdaNLyE&utm_campaign=Bass%20Station%20II&utm_content=103899946942&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailvision

Specifications

Synth engine

Oscillators
•Osc 1
•Osc 2
•Sub Osc (3)
•Noise generator

Osc 1 & 2

Select between waveforms:
•sine
•triangle
•sawtooth
•square/variable pulse width

Features
•Sync 1 & 2
•Detune
•Octave range
•Pitch bend
•Pitch modulation to Mod Envelope and LFO 1
•Pulse width modulation to Mod Envelope and LFO 2

Sub Osc (3) which is tracked to Osc 1

Select independently between waveforms:
•Sine
•Square
•Narrow pulse

Features
•All modulation and tuning tracked to Osc 1
•Independent octave select

Mixer
•Osc 1 level
•Osc 2 level
•Sub Osc level
•Noise generator level
•Ring modulation depth
•External signal level

Filter

Two filter types
•Acid type (diode ladder filter design)
•Classic type (derived from original Bass Station)

Features
•Cutoff
•Resonance
•Overdrive
•Filter frequency to Mod Envelope depth
•Filter frequency to LFO 2 depth

Select 'Classic' filter between:
•Low pass
•Band pass
•High pass
•12dB slope
•24dB slope

Envelopes

Two ADSR Envelopes (Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release)
•Amp Envelope
•Mod Envelope
•Combined control of both Envelopes

Select triggering mode between:
•Single trigger (holds envelope state when new note is played)
•Multi trigger (re-triggers with every new note played)
•Autoglide (engages portamento)

There is also a VCA limiter

LFO

Two LFOs each selectable between:
•Triangle
•Sawtooth
•Square
•Sample and hold
•Both LFOs independently adjustable between rate and delay time
•Key sync LFO 1 & 2
•LFO slew on LFO 1& 2 (low pass filter on the LFO waveform)

Effects
•Distortion send
•Oscillator filter mod amount (FM effect created by Oscillator 2 modulating filter freq)

Step Sequencer/Arpeggiator

Arpeggiator
•Up to 32 different patterns
•Select between 1-4 octave range
•Swing function
•Select direction:
up
down
up / down 1
up / down 2
As played
Random
•Latch (hold the arpeggiator)

Step Sequencer
•Up to four sequences
•Assign one of 32 preset rhythms or create your own
•insert rests or legato (slide)
•Sequencer re-trigger function

Portamento
•Adjust glide time
•Single trigger or re-trigger modes
•Integrate into step sequencer and arpeggiator

Hardware & controller assignment
•25 note synth-action keyboard
•Aftertouch can be assigned to modulate:
Filter frequency
LFO 1to Osc pitch
Osc 2 speed
•Pitch wheel
•Modulation wheel can be assigned to:
LFO 2 to filter frequency
LFO 1 to Osc pitch
Osc 2 pitch
•Octave up/ down buttons
•64 factory presets
•64 slots for user patches (and patch dump facility for storing more)
•Master volume dial

Inputs and Outputs
•USB MIDI (for connecting & powering Bass Station II via host computer)
•Mono outputs on 1/4" TRS jack
•Headphone output on 1/4" TRS jack
•External input on 1/4" TRS jack
•Sustain pedal input on 1/4" TRS jack
•MIDI IN / MIDI OUT ports on 5 pin din
•AC power input
•Switch between power off / AC powered / bus powered

Pretty SWEET~! If Waldorf does not finally release the Pulse 2 at Frankfurt, I have had enough of waiting well over year and half and the Rocket is too basic for me and HATE the envelope structure, or better stated, lack thereof a proper envelope!!

I have the DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard with a few Desktop Evolvers poly chained to it and love the analog half of it as it sounds more organic and has artifacts that make me not quite keen to the sterile analog of DSI Mopho, et al.
It will be between the Korg MS20 re-release or the bass Station keyboard 2, as both make a small footprint with ALOT of sonic territory!!

Waldorf: Blofeld, MicroQ Omega, XT, Q-Rack, PULSE PLUS, NAVE, Miniworks 4-Pole; Virus KB and KC; DSI Evolver Desktop and 2-MEK's(poly-chained)-x2; Korg: Wavestation SR, DW-8000; Alesis: Ion, Fusion--for HollowSun SampleBanks; Novation Supernova 1; Quasimidi Polymorph; Roland SH-32; Yamaha: RM1X, CS2X; Elektron Analog Four, MnM mk1; Reaper, Scarlett 18i20, Studio Maine Coone Cat pre-loaded with toxic wavetables on each fang and claw! Military Training! Crossbow:-)
clementshawes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I feel your pain on the Pulse2 though I suspect it'll be worth waiting for - there's been a host of mono's released over the past 18 months and I fear Waldorf may be the market underdog against the likes of Moog, Arturia, DSI and more.
The Blofeld is still an underestimated synth but, seemingly, suffered bad-press (it was a god-send compared to the Virus TI I had (sold, no regrets)).
I fear I'll drop more cash on the Mopho only to have the Pulse2 pop-up the next day lol

I'm holding out on the BassStation2 - I never owned an original of that or the pulse but I'm informed by people I trust that out of the 2 units, Pulse was a better product...

Watch this space I guess...

clementshawes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a little disheartening to see all the wonderful new stuff announced this year while Waldorf are, effectively, just waving a watch this space sign; I might throw some money at Korg for their drum and/or bass toys (both for less than half of the Pulse2...)

Saying that, I still expect something great from the great Waldorf but I also think spontaneity will get the better of me before long.
Not that I specifically need anything but when was studio kit ever about need over want (specifically).

namnibor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, 'want' verses 'need' is that age old pragmatic question!! Having had time to learn more about my two DSI Mono Evolver Keyboards, and have to Desktop Evolvers poly chained to just one of the MEK's; have learned with push of two buttons, (that fast) I can isolate the anolog oscillators and have, dare I say, better sounding analog, due to the very artifacts and nuances the Evolver analog osc's possess over more sterile Mopho or family thereof. Crazy, I know! Supposedly they use same Curtis chips but there's definitely something different enough that having owned older Sequential analogs, the Evolver Keyboard has that expressiveness that does not sound like a DCO and probably has a lot to do with the true stereo signal path and malleable modulation options, not to mention option of high pass filter, digital, but it's there.
Having said the above, I am holding onto my money and know I definitely will sell an impulse buy of first make/edition of Elektron Monomachine SFX60 Mk1, and that will definitely pay for say a Korg MS20 Mini once they are in plenty supply.

clementshawes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a damn shame that there's an Atlantic Ocean between us two; I feel you have a lot to teach/show me Smile

I'm immensely jealous of your dual MEK AND dual MED setup; aside from a Tempest, I think I may have lost interest in a lot of DSI gear now.
I was interested for sure, until I got a desktop mono Evolver desktop - I'd now be aiming for an Evolver keyboard and poly those bad boys but I need to throw an awful lot more money at it for sure.

I think this long wait on the Pulse 2 might've done me a favour in many ways - I love my Blofeld (though I did trade it toward my Nord Modular G1 rack - I will get another though, maybe desktop).
I think I will hold out on a new Pulse if/when they arrive - I have a lot of mono options via the Nord, Evolver and any number of options routing any of my other units through those units too.

Have you tried bouncing/rerouting your signal through that Evolver chaining? I can only dream of the audio it'd breed!

Interesting your take on the MonoMachine - I guess that depends on taste and the music you make. I'd love to have a noodle with such a unit - in time though, in time Smile

On a side note, I'm still kicking myself for parting with my SoundArt Chameleon - the Australis VA and MonoWave 2 patches definitely had something to them - to my ears, the Aus. patch was preferable to my Virus TI and the Mono patch was easily as good as the Mopho desktop.

Anyways, I'm waffling now when I could be using it to try and work out a way to get my PowerBook and SCSI samplers talking to my other crap Wink
(All while I plan a robery to fast-track myself a shiny MEK)

namnibor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be fair, I have not given the MonoMachine fair time as it of course has it's own method of working with it, so for time being, it's delegated to top shelf in it's old box until want to wrap my head around it.
Yes, running any external signal through the Evolver can be pretty cool and have learned quickly to have volume levels really low. Conversely, running output of Evolver through external Inputs of Virus KC kind of opened up an audio wormhole of sorts and think my cat has been replaced with his alternate universe's equal...ha!
Focus is now really on learning to utilize what I have and save money. Car is 10 years old with only 70,000 miles and in good shape but thinking having a no-touch emergency fund built-up would be much smarter in these economic uncertain times.

clementshawes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd kill for an hour on a MonoMachine - though I fear I'd have some difficulties in handing it back; the Elektron way of working suits me and I've often dreamed of 'the trinity' of a Mono, Drum and Octa. The Analogue unit doesn't interest me but I'm still hopeful of the Elektron threesome lol.

I'd highly recommend taking the Mono into another room and ONLY playing with it; 6 mono synths in one unit with note and parameter locks - the locks make all the difference IMO. I've played with a lot of hardware drum machines and am no longer interested in anything other than upgrading to a MachineDrum Mk2 (for the 64-step pattern). Again though, I appreciate this is subjective but all the demos I've seen for MM make me want to play - hell, it's not Pro One but I'd probably swap my ProOne for a MonoMachine as I feel it's more 'me' than the Sequential unit.

I hear you on the learning side of things - I have to have a little cull of my setup as I'm moving house (I had one last year and earlier this year only I seem to have more gear now than before...)

I'll also be sending Korg a thankyou card for making my Korg MS-20ic absolutely worthless now (I was going to sell it, the Pro One and the Virus Indigo 2 I had).

clementshawes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

namnibor wrote:
Did you ever go for the DSI Mopho X4? Just wondering if so, your impression of it, likes, dislikes, et al?

Mine should arrive next week, I'm quite excited; looking forward to trying out its unison mode as well as mangling it through the desktop Evolver!
If all goes well, I'll be getting the X4 for only a fraction more than a regular Mopho keys.

If I'm not too busy being overjoyed, I might even report back Smile

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » DSI Synths
Jump to: