electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Bareille DS8-how can i increasethe volume???
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
tokyomatik

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Bareille DS8-how can i increasethe volume??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi! Im not really satisfied with the volume of my DS8....and also the noise sound is pretty harsh, not so smooth like on my ak47. any suggetion?
Varoudis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bareille DS8-how can i increasethe volume??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tokyomatik wrote:
Hi! Im not really satisfied with the volume of my DS8....and also the noise sound is pretty harsh, not so smooth like on my ak47. any suggetion?

sorry not help but a very newbie question...
What is an AK47? (in this context Smile ) I google it but I get the 'obvious' results.
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think this is a AK47:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

i prefer a m16 (peter Tosh)

or this (Alborosi)

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Varoudis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUBmatze wrote:
i think this is a AK47:

i prefer a m16 (peter Tosh)

or this (Alborosi)

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

LOL
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sorry cant resist that joke ...

i had a look at the circuit....
http://m.bareille.free.fr/ds7clone/ds8_schem_rev1.pdf
and i have no idea. what is with a simple noninverting OP amp circuit?
Varoudis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would love to build the DS8 but that CA3080 is hard to get.
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Varoudis wrote:
have a look at ebay - there are a lot of them. (also in GB)
Varoudis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUBmatze wrote:
Varoudis wrote:
have a look at ebay - there are a lot of them. (also in GB)

I did it this morning but some seen a bit dodgy or fake others had one IC for 10++USD(8-9gbp)!! (and again the price dont not mean it not face).
I was hopping to find some schematic with a replacement.

EDIT: I end up getting 2 (the last 2) from a guy in the UK for 2.50GBP each.... will see
DUBmatze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i checked 2 small german shops whre i already have buyed some stuff (not shure whre i buyed my CA3080). Both sending to Eu.

http://www.musikding.de/CA3080
http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?products_id=424

2,20€
EDIT:
from the description of das musikding:
Each CA3080 is tested on function and sound!
jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bareille DS8-how can i increasethe volume??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tokyomatik wrote:

From Marc Bareille's site:

Q) The output level is low ... What can i do ?
A) The output level is sized to be around -10dBu nominal. To increase it : replace R30 ( 100k) by a 330k or 470k resistor . This should be enough for most of applications, including modular synthesizers patches ... Another solution: use a good preamp...

jumunius

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bareille DS8-how can i increasethe volume??? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tokyomatik wrote:

PS I don't know what you're hearing in the noise sound that's harsh. Want to post some clips? It might be a genuine problem or maybe just a different characteristic of noise than you're used to.

I recall the noise being a little loud, balance wise, on the mix knob. At 12:00 I found the noise to be too loud compared to the oscillator. That could be the issue, and you can fix it by changing a resistor value.

-Jim

nuclearsound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi tokyomatik, did you solve your problem of low volume ?
I posted a line a few months ago on that thread : http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6386.html&postorder=asc&highlight=ds8&start=400, and never managed to solve my problem.
Would love to discover what "fixed" your problem if so.
tokyomatik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried to increase the volume on my DS8 as suggested, replacing R30 with 390k, then 470k, then 560k till 1M.....still the same...

about the sound of the noise, to me its like self oscillating
I mean, i know how white and pink noise sound....not so resonant

I also build an AK47, that is another clone of the DS8 and the noise is more clear and thin, at least what i reconize as white and pink noise
also when i move the balance it fades better to noise respect to the bareille DS8 board, that, instead gives me loud oscillating noise directly when i move the balance pot of just a tick, paradox on the top, on the DS8, it gets less resonant and at lower volume when I'm in the middle position of the balance pot.....??
maybe something wrong with my transistors??
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(so you're answering a question from last september!)
Concerning the volume issue, here's my uneducated suggestion: you could try to lower R14 (2k7?) - according to the datasheet, Iabc can be up to 2mA. i don't want you to fry your valuable CA3080s, so please get more informed advice and correct me if i'm wrong!

tokyomatik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok....so this time it will take not so long for my answer....
I will try to reduce that resistor once i'm in front of the ds8.....
thanks for your patience
nuclearsound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Still under development Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, and sorry my posts are always like every 6 months. I got back to the troubleshooting of my DS-8, replaced a broken pot, changed the path of my ground wires, from a "all to the negative pin of my battery" to a "daisy chain" as per your advices. And..... my DS-8 is still sounding so low, volume speaking.

Let me sum up my situation : no more "hot" battery or components, all pots looking OK, but at the end the volume is so low that I can barely hear the result.

My R30 is 470 k already, battery is new. I have no idea where my problem can come from.

At some point Marc told me my problem could come from a bad wiring of my volume pot (checked), jack socket (checked) or jack cable (checked).
Or maybe from a low current coming from the piezo (don't know) but I checked the CV in socket by sending CVs with my Mutable Anushri. So checked also.
Or last, he told me it could be a tired or even broken 3080. NOT CHECKED.

I now have an oscilloscope, could anyone help me figure out if my 3080 is broken or not with my multimeter or scope ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by nuclearsound on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I once had a bad batch of 3080's, I tested using the Unity Gain Voltage Follower circuit from the datasheet (specifically page 3 of the CA3080 datasheet, not the LM3080 datasheet, though the same circuit may be somewhere on that one as well). Doesn't really matter if it's CA or LM, same schematic applies.
nuclearsound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, and thanks elmegil for your help. I downloaded the pdf from Harris, and looked at page 3. I see at the bottom of the page the diagram + waveform of a unity-gain voltage follower configuration, but then my knowledge lets me here. Should I desolder my 3080 (it has no dedicated socket, lame !), or test it on the PCB with my battery feeding 9V (the diagram talks about V+ x 15V...) ?
I see one probe on pin 6 ? What about the other one ?

Sorry for my basic questions.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would

1) build the test circuit with a socket
2) desolder the 3080 and replace it with a socket
3) test the chip

Do you only have the one 3080? If so I would also recommend getting some additional ones as replacement possibilities. It might not be a bad idea if you have extras or get extras to test them before desoldering etc. so that you know you have a good replacement.

Desoldering can be tricky if you haven't done it before, I'd recommend reviewing information you can find on youtube etc if you haven't done this before.
nuclearsound

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, and thanks for your help.

Yes mine is a 3080 ("3080E") indeed. But I'm afraid my knowlegde is too low to make this circuit. Anyway, I have good news : My jack socket was bad, and when I replaced it, voila ! Sound is not so high I must say, but now much better than before. I jammed with my small box and a multiFX for more than an hour, proof of my pleasure ! A bit disappointed with the noise pan that is grungy and useless for me, and the LFO that can't restart for each trig, but hey, it's a DS-8 Wink

So a huge thanks to you all for all the data and help provided, there would be no success without this forum !
nuclearsound

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello and sorry for redigging this topic after so long but in the end, apart from the low volume, I can live with that, I never reached the famous pew pew sound that we mostly all are looking for with a DS-8 :
The VCo is either : stable with no LFO, or LFO'ed (with no LFO retrig at each piezo or CVin hit...), but never do I get a VCo with a possible enveloppe (high pitch with quick attack, then fading to low pitch).

As per the various videos i see on youtube, the effect I' looking for is the sweep. But at home my sweep pot only slightly detunes the vco, but does not apply an envelope to it...

Does it sound familiar to anyone ?

Thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: