electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 frozen at startup screen. (SOLVED)
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
uyoyu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:  G2 frozen at startup screen. (SOLVED)
Subject description: Hangs when showing version number at startup.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Couldn't be a worse start of the new year....my trusty red beast has is showing some concerning weakness...no more startup...hangs at showing version number, with lights burning at random (not flashing, just 1, 2 or 3 lights on buttons or knobs) random at every power on.
Help...anyone else experienced this ?

Last edited by uyoyu on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aaw ... sorry to hear .. yeah I think some reported this .. apart from reseating connectors there is not much you could do yourself probably ...

May the new year be happier than this to you.

uyoyu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I'm sure of to a bad start anyways.
Know any good repair adresses in Holland btw ?
I've written a report to Nord already....so I'll see.
But I'm well sick off it...made a lot of sounds and tunes that rely on this beast.
Hope it's a minor repair. :fingers crossed:
uyoyu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Opened it, saw nothing strange, all connectors are in....I re inserted each of them to be sure.
Now all I can do is wait for a reply from Clavia...
uyoyu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After some research I found this, diagnostic and reset function.
I performed these actions and my beast is alive again.....2015 was a bad year for me anyways...bring on 2016 Smile

Quote:
"1. Use the Editor to make a total backup of all patches and performance in your unit. You need to save everything on your computer hard drive. And do not forget to verify that these backups can actually be loaded back to the G2 after you have saved them.

2. When you are certain that you have backups and copies of all your important files, we want you to erase all the content of the G2 flash memory. Here is how to do this:

a. Shut down the G2 and then hold the Performance Mode, Display Mode and Store buttons while you power the unit up. Keep holding until the G2 Testprg is visible in the display.

b. The lower line in the display will show: MNB - PNL - EXP and SYS. Press the Keyboard Assign D button to enter the SYS tests .

c. Use the right arrow navigator button to scroll to the ERASE FFS action. This is an eraser for the flash memory, and when activated will format the entire flash. Every program, patch and performance will be erased in the G2.

d. Press the A button to "run" the eraser.
or (it depend on your g2 hardware version)
You start the process by pressing: Shift, Patch Load, Store and Patch Settings, 4 buttons at the same time.

e. When this is completed, turn off the G2 and then back on. Reload your programs and try saving again.

If this was not successful, do it again but select the ERASE ALL which is found after the ERASE FFS option. This will force you to reload the OS, I would go for the 1.6 first. If this still produces errors, downgrade to 1.4. "

This quote should be a sticky really !!!
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, I remember that now ... good you found it :-)

Stickied this thread .. instead of searching for the original.

bevaspen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: G2 frozen at startup. Can't access system reset mdoe Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey hey, I'm experiencing the same problem of a G2 keyboard freezing when powering up, sometimes with all leds lit, sometimes with none. it's the first time i've tried to power up the machine in 9 months or something. it's not detected via uSB. i tried accessing the 'service mode' by holding 'performance mode' 'display mode' and 'store' keys the powering on but this makes no difference to the unit just freezing with all lights or no lights. Any ideaS????
uyoyu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: G2 frozen at startup. Can't access system reset mdoe Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bevaspen wrote:
Hey hey, I'm experiencing the same problem of a G2 keyboard freezing when powering up, sometimes with all leds lit, sometimes with none. it's the first time i've tried to power up the machine in 9 months or something. it's not detected via uSB. i tried accessing the 'service mode' by holding 'performance mode' 'display mode' and 'store' keys the powering on but this makes no difference to the unit just freezing with all lights or no lights. Any ideaS????

Sounds a lot like the problems I had.
I had to delete all patches to get it to work. I think as the patch memory becomes full, the G2 starts to get really slow, so I'll try to avoid that now.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I remember it didn't go right with me first time trying...maybe try it again ?
optical

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: G2 keyboard frozen at startup Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is an old topic, but I've been hit with the same issue and the above solution doesn't help. After not using my G2 keyboard for a while, I turned it on yesterday and all the LEDs lit up, with all the displays showing black boxes on the top row and blank on the bottom row. I restarted, tried unplugging everything, no difference. If I run the editor or OS updater with the G2 plugged into USB, it's not found. I tried the startup combo mentioned here (performance mode, display mode, store buttons) but no effect. I also tried the startup combo listed in the manual for OS update (store, performance buttons), no change.

Nothing seems to have the slightest effect at all! Has anyone seen this and recovered?

Is there someone to contact for service in the western USA?
Bobmusic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: G2 keyboard frozen at startup Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I have a same problem with g2

Solved the problem?

thanks
Rob

optical wrote:
I know this is an old topic, but I've been hit with the same issue and the above solution doesn't help. After not using my G2 keyboard for a while, I turned it on yesterday and all the LEDs lit up, with all the displays showing black boxes on the top row and blank on the bottom row. I restarted, tried unplugging everything, no difference. If I run the editor or OS updater with the G2 plugged into USB, it's not found. I tried the startup combo mentioned here (performance mode, display mode, store buttons) but no effect. I also tried the startup combo listed in the manual for OS update (store, performance buttons), no change.

Nothing seems to have the slightest effect at all! Has anyone seen this and recovered?

Is there someone to contact for service in the western USA?
optical

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately, no solution yet. I contacted Pablo Mastodon at American Music and Sound (US tech support for Nord) and he recommended Condor Electronics here in Seattle. I took the G2 to them, and they took a look and pronounced the main board dead. Nord has apparently repaired board in the past, but there was no way to know if they could fix this one. I decided to give it a try, so they pulled the boards out and sent them to Nord. No update yet from Nord, aside from acknowledging that they received the boards, about six weeks ago.

Even if they can fix it, I'm not sure what the final bill will be, so I'm not sure if it's worth it vs buying another. Then again, there's no guarantee another one won't fail in the same way. Sorry I don't have better news!

I've been exploring an Axoloti as a replacement. It can do many of the things the G2 can do, but it's not as elegant an instrument. It's a lot cheaper though.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: