electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Troubleshooting a Klee
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Black Heart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting a Klee Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a few problems with the Klee I just put together. 1: Load glitches, some steps turn on that shouldn't & weak LEDs. 2: No CV out at all. The 3 TL074CN & the CD4051BE in the analog section are hot. 3: Bus 1 & 3 have no output. bus 2 works fine. I did find a missing 2 pin header, J13 in the digital section and added it. I think that some chips were damaged because that power jumper was missing. Any help would be appreciated.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anything being hot is a sign that there's a short or near short somewhere.

Power off

Use a meter to verify whether there is a short between +V and ground, +V and -V, and -V and group.

if there is, pull all the chips and see if the short persists.

If it does, you need to check your solders for possible shorts. Also pull the PCBs apart and remove any cables and see if it persists.

If not, you have a bad chip, you'll need to put them back in one at a time until you reproduce the short, then you'll know what's bad.
Black Heart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the response. I figured there's a short. Any clue about the load glitches. That one is a bit odd. The bus problem I can probably figure out but I'll listen to any suggestions. I have the newer version where the analog & digital sections are on one board.
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One thing at a time. Attack the most obvious problem first, it may be related in some subtle way to the less obvious ones.
Black Heart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're right. I ordered a bunch of parts already. Won't be able to work on it till Sunday.
Black Heart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I think I found the ground fault. The pots are shorted. I don't have the energy to take the face plate off again tonight. That took hours to find.
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But there's always the good feeling of knowing what the problem is. At least for the next iteration....
Black Heart

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't seem to find any shorts in the analog section. Voltages to the chips are right. The chips a warm, not hot. Maybe nothing wrong with the power there. I had a cold solder joint at glide A pot. Can you tell me what signals I should expect at J4 or analog section U6, etc? I jumped W2 and I did get a pulse at the output that followed the clock, but no volt changes. Removed the jumper. I'm beginning to think the problem is in the digital district or a connection. Any info on what signals should be at certain test points would be appreciated. I'm really getting to know this circuit. Been poking at it and staring at the schematics for hours. Thankx.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have a Muffwiggler account, there's a Euro Klee thread there that would likely get you better answers. I don't currently have a built Klee (two in various states, but not finished) to be able to get you voltages.
Black Heart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, thankx. Does this sound familiar? Turning on a step switch also turns on the LED to the left of it. Only happening in section A. Strange problem.
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, sorry. I'd suspect the cable wiring, just because that seems to cause the most weird behavior, but that's a total SWAG.

Except of course, there aren't cables in this version....
Black Heart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fixed the Klee sequencer! Everything was pointing to the counter shift registers. I replaced both CD4034BE chips. Everything works. I had some problems with the crappy wire that came with the partial kit, for the pots. I'll finish putting it back together tomorrow.
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool! Good job!
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Klee sequencer
Jump to: