electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Anyone doing classical/orchestral work using synths?
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
briandc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Anyone doing classical/orchestral work using synths? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,
I'm currently interested in doing some orchestral and/or classical-style things, using synth-based sounds (not samples of traditional orchestral instruments).

Anyone here doing something of this sort?

brian

LinuxSynths.com
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kevin Haller did a version of the 1812 overture a few years ago. As best as I recall, he used synth sounds, not samples. Are you looking for models to listen to for your own ideas? There have been a number of commercial recordings of classical music using synths, too. Carlos, Tomita, and ELP come to mind off the top of my head, but I am sure there are others

Someone here posted an original composition that might be useful for ideas--I think it was a chromatic-based fugue. [edit: See link below.]

Of course, there are probably hundreds of thousands of midi files (maybe more) of classical and classical style music that were probably created for use with synth sounds.

Years ago, I created a track template in Cakewalk [now known as SONAR] that paralleled a mini-orchestra score with the intent of orchestrating one of of my very early pencil-and-paper sketches. I am not sure how far I got.

At the first electro-music festival I went to, I had a conversation with someone who (IIRC) used Cakewalk's CAL scripting language as sort of motivic macros.

Not sure if any of this helps, but if you are looking to discuss techniques, I'd be interested in seeing what you and others do.

Steve

Addendum:
I started looking for the tunes I mentioned and also found this:http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-19476.html from Kevin Kissenger.
Chromatic Fugato from Bachus can be found here: http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/chromatic_fugato_rmx_210.mp3 But now that I listen to it, it might use a sampler, a rompler, or another source of real acoustic instruments.

I hope you don't mind my posting links to pieces done by members of the community and available here. This seems like a good thread for them.
briandc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MusicMan11712 wrote:
Kevin Haller did a version of the 1812 overture a few years ago. As best as I recall, he used synth sounds, not samples. Are you looking for models to listen to for your own ideas? There have been a number of commercial recordings of classical music using synths, too. Carlos, Tomita, and ELP come to mind off the top of my head, but I am sure there are others

Someone here posted an original composition that might be useful for ideas--I think it was a chromatic-based fugue. [edit: See link below.]

Of course, there are probably hundreds of thousands of midi files (maybe more) of classical and classical style music that were probably created for use with synth sounds.

Years ago, I created a track template in Cakewalk [now known as SONAR] that paralleled a mini-orchestra score with the intent of orchestrating one of of my very early pencil-and-paper sketches. I am not sure how far I got.

At the first electro-music festival I went to, I had a conversation with someone who (IIRC) used Cakewalk's CAL scripting language as sort of motivic macros.

Not sure if any of this helps, but if you are looking to discuss techniques, I'd be interested in seeing what you and others do.

Steve

Addendum:
I started looking for the tunes I mentioned and also found this:http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-19476.html from Kevin Kissenger.
Chromatic Fugato from Bachus can be found here: http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/chromatic_fugato_rmx_210.mp3 But now that I listen to it, it might use a sampler, a rompler, or another source of real acoustic instruments.

I hope you don't mind my posting links to pieces done by members of the community and available here. This seems like a good thread for them.

Hi Steve,
thanks for responding.
I am familiar with some of the names you mentioned, yes. Carlos' work seemed all too mechnical, from what I recall. (I suppose it was midi'd rather than realtime performance.)
In fact, I'm not interested in midi files, but rather realtime performance, music a bit more "traditional" but with synth sounds. (I did listen to the Chromatic Fugato, btw. Thank you! It was nice, although I agree that it was probably more sampled instruments than not.)

One work I came across online was Gary Numan's rendition of Satie's First Gymnopedie, here: Numan

I have a kind of template of instruments that I like, which I used to make a song for a video you can see here: ValleOlona

Yes, I'd love to discuss techniques! Wink

brian

LinuxSynths.com
A E J O T Z

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Joss Bordelon from Boston sent me the following music to air on my streaming-on-demand synthetic music show, Satellite 5 (sat-5.com).
I don't know if she hand played it all or used a MIDI file and I don't care. It's a badass ten minutes of classitronica.

https://soundcloud.com/jossbordelon/prokofiev-op10

free albums at http://aejotz.bandcamp.com
listen to genre-defying synthetic music at http://sat-5.com
briandc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A E J O T Z wrote:
Joss Bordelon from Boston sent me the following music to air on my streaming-on-demand synthetic music show, Satellite 5 (sat-5.com).
I don't know if she hand played it all or used a MIDI file and I don't care. It's a badass ten minutes of classitronica.

https://soundcloud.com/jossbordelon/prokofiev-op10

Hi A E J O T Z,
thanks for the link. The rendition wasn't quite my style, but definitely in the right direction! Smile

I am currently listening to some audio stuff on your website, and truly enjoying it. I'm glad to have learned of you/it! Thanks!

brian

LinuxSynths.com
Lonzenator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Finally a place i might find like interests Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I grew up like most pianists, classically trained, studied applied piano and composition while at the university, though degree is a clinical thing. I have been interested in and working on pieces that tend to follow the structure of more romantic era music (Beethoven, Chopin and so forth). Am looking to collaborate with others on projects like these.
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done some sequences using MIDI files of various artists including Bach (who technically is not classical) and Chopin. I did Chopin's Mazurkas on a DIY digital Karplus-Strong synth which can have a very harp-like timbre (16 voice polyphonic). Lot's of fun to do and hear. I cannot play keyboard well enough to do this stuff myself, but I discovered many sources of MIDI files. Some are better than others, some need only minor adjustments. Also one of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos using various DIY digital synths including a 192 voice karplus-strong.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
L´Andratté

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi briandc, I am only superficially informed about the work of Wendy Carlos, but I think it is mostly sequenced and multitracked, MIDI is a child of the 80s iirc.

To be honest, I am put off by most of the classical composition synth interpretations that I came across, but that is not an ideological thing, I just find most interpretations too close to technical exercises, the timbres too flat, the human feel missing.

Please prove me wrong! Wink
Digiton

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe too close to traditional sample based instrument players, but I have used SYNFUL orchestra a lot in the past. It has a library of orchsetral instruments you choose from but they are derived from additive synthesis - not sample playback.

The interesting thing about it is for whatever reason, some modulation produce incredibly violent feedback and distorted sound. Its fun to play with too.

1roomstudio

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Sibelius when I want to compose in a more “classic” style (not necessarily classical)

I recently exported the audio and midi formats of a piano piece of mine and mixed the live piano with some subtle synth using the midi file.

The effect was not noticeably synth... (intentionally) but a much richer texture in the piano with upper voices popping out in a way that the piano alone would not produce.

It’s a small thing but ... maybe this technique is useful to you?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdOj3y4Q55K2nUX688PDt5Q

Reality is one thing... Perception is everything
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Composition
Jump to: