electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Great distortion bends but problem w/Line out & volume level
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Nightrainbows

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Great distortion bends but problem w/Line out & volume level Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’ve done a great bend on an early 70’s transistor toy organ. Added a pitch bender joy stick & also other bends that are producing some excellent distortion thats rich in harmonics. Very musical.
I can vary the amount of dist as well as the harmonics using the volume slider potentiometer. Ive tied together some caps,resistors & the volume pot. (slider).

I'm facing two challenges;

(1)I'm only getting the distortion from the built in speaker. Thereʻs none coming through the line output that i installed. The line out is working - just no change to the normal sound. Putting a mic on the speaker picks up way too much environmental noise. The Keyboard is clicky and noisy plus all of the toggle switches, both native and add ons. For recording and live performance, I need the effect coming through the line out.

(2)Inconsistent volume. As I mentioned, the volume pot is controlling the type and amount of distortion. Any change to the distortion is change to the volume to the point of being difficult to work within a live setting especially.

#1 above is priority. If i can get the distortion and other mayhem coming out the line out i can set my levels accordingly and work with it. Getting a handle on #2 would be a big plus but not as essential to being able to record a performance .

Any Suggestions and help is GREATLY appreciated!
-ed
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sure this can help you out with the speaker output:
the long version: https://youtu.be/Nwi6NmuwY4I
the short version: just use a cap (about 10uF) to tap the output voltage from the speaker.

Nightrainbows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Grumble. I d already done that line out mod just like in the video by the 8bit guy. My line out is wired directly off of the Speaker with a cap . And it works fine but its clean signal only. Where as the audio coming through the speaker i can hear all the great fuzz , distortion and other artifacts that are the result of the circuit bending that ive done.

i want to hear those results; , the fuzz and distortion etc coming out of the line out , just like im hearing in the speaker
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In that case .. the speaker must be generating the distortions, presumably because youdrive it out of bounds .. you could .. maybe .. get a resistor in series with the speaker (but this probably will get rid of the distortion too) and then pick up the signal from the speaker .. in the hope tat some of the distortion will be fed back into the driving lines ... and otherwise .. nothing left but to use a microphone.
Nightrainbows

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The distortion and artifacts that im hearing happen regardless of the volume or how hard im driving the speaker. In fact, the lower the volume the more complex the distortion becomes. Its musical, yielding perfect 5ths at one setting and increasing in harmonic complexity as i change the volume slider . This has me thinking (in my limited knowledge) that the distortion is the result of the relationship between values of the signal path as opposed to a purely physical response of the speaker being overdriven. Im familiar with speaker breakup, torn speakers etc and how that distortion sounds. This is not that kind of distortion.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the value of the cap you used for the line output ? Also did you add a pulldown resistor after it ?
If I recall correctly David (8bit guy) didn't add that.

You could also try an audio transformer to create a line output.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: