electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
New to DIY synth
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dadinfinitum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: New to DIY synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all. I'm hoping to make building an analog synth as my summer project, and I have a couple questions.

I'm new to electrics, and I'm currently doing my research and learning of basic components, how circuits work, how to read a schematic, how to solder, etc. Is there any other essential background knowledge I should attain?

I've seen a number of "start here" posts, so I have a basic idea of the parts I'll need. That being said, I'm unsure what components are absolutely mandatory, and what should be done first. Any guidance on that would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
MapacheRaper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A set of various sized resistors and capacitors. A multimeter (like anneng 8008). An oscilloscope (like dso150) and a bunch of tl072, tl074 and lm13700 chips. Let´s say 10 of each or more.

Some beradboards and duponts male cables. Some mono jacks that are breadboard compatible (thonkicons).

Some basic transistors 2n3904 and 2n3906. Of course an iron (yihue 908) and 63/37 solder and flux

Im probably forgetting a lot of important things...
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only absolutely necessary components are the ones listed in a schematic.

As a beginner, my advice is not to first purchase a pile of different parts. I would look at kits because they contain most or all of what is needed along with detailed instructions, pictures, diagrams, adjustment procedures and sometimes even troubleshooting tips.

Once you're satisfied with the results of kit building, you can look into buying pre-etched PCBs, buy all of the parts required and build. This takes more patience, but can save some money.

Using stripboard or perfboard and a schematic is going to be the most difficult, but can be quite rewarding. It requires that you understand the schematic just to build. When there are problems (and trust that there will be), you will benefit from knowledge of electronics theory when trying to fix something that isn't working. Many sites that publish schematics don't have intensive troubleshooting text, so you have to rely on your ability to troubleshoot.

Once you've gone that far, you'll know what components are good to have "laying around".

For people starting out, proper tools are essential. Cheap stuff will break or work poorly or for a short time and you buy again. The exact tools needed depends on whether you intend to solder SMT or not.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

Components:
I agree with JovianPyx, start with only components you need for a circuit (or a kit) but I would like to add to that to order extra.
For example if you need 12x 100K resistors, just get 100. They're only 1 or 2 cents and usually even cheaper if you buy more. same for
100nF capacitors and some standard diodes like 1N4148. other parts maybe 10 or 25 depending how much you need for the actual circuit.
If you need some IC's get a couple more in case you fry something. Also, use sockets! Unless you need to build something that has to
withstand a lot of vibrations and even then you could just add a cable-tie. Not only is it useful in case an IC gets damaged but it's almost
essential for troubleshooting.

Tools:
A decent soldering iron but it doesn't have to be the best available (unless you have an unlimited budget). I am happy with my Aoyue 936
which I think is a Hakko clone and there are similar ones available which are very affordable. These days I'd probably get one that includes a
hot air gun but it's not really needed for starters. I don't think they are that much more expensive though and it can come in handy for SMD
(de)soldering. Also some decent leaded solder (something around a 60/40 ratio) with a resin/flux core. Don't get the cheapest stuff available
because then you are going to have a bad time. You don't need seperate flux unless you are planning to solder surface mount components.

A multimeter is essential. Almost anything will do as you will mostly be measuring voltages or continuity (when troubleshooting). If you want
to match your own transistors (for a VCO) it's good to get something that has an extra digit. I think the Aneng 8008 that MapacheRaper
mentioned is useful for this. I don't really like the auto ranging ones as they tend to be slower but that is probably just personal preference.

An oscilloscope isn't really necessary (if you are just starting out) but very useful for synth building as you can see the waveforms. I have
a DSO138 which is similar to the DSO150 and it works, but I prefer using one of my old analog scopes which you might be able to find very
cheap (or even for free). They're a lot bigger though.

A powersupply, which should also be the first part when building a synth. For synths you want something with a bi-polar output. You could get a
fancy adjustable bench supply with current limiting but for most circuit you will only need -12V (-15V), +12V (+15V) and maybe +5V. A wallwart
supply (like the MFOS one) is fine for this.

A solder sucker and/or some desoldering braid is also useful. Desoldering braid comes in different qualities and some of it is pretty worthless
so as with the solder don't get the cheapest stuff.

Some side cutters to cut off component leads. The cheap ones from china will do fine.

That should be enough to get you started with building. If you want to design/modify circuits and learn more about electronics in general then
some breadboards and wires and some standard components but you will find out along the way what you will use most of the time. For some
simple circuits to get started I would recommend having a look at the lunetta section on this forum.

And don't forget: Have fun! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New to DIY synth Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dadinfinitum wrote:
Hello all. I'm hoping to make building an analog synth as my summer project.

Before you can start building you need to do a little bit of planning.
Do you want to make a modular synth or something prerouted ?
Expandable or with a limited/fixed amount of circuits ?
If modular do you want to use a popular format (like euro-rack) or something custom ?
A synth you can control with a keyboard/midi input, or just something to make bleeps and bloops ?
Do you want to get kits, etch your own PCBs or use perf/stripboard.
What kind of circuits/modules would you like ?

Depending on what you want you can determine what kind of powersupply you will need (voltage/current) and
then you have some different options.
You will also need some sort of case which together with a powersupply is what you should probably start with
if you want to build a modular synth.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dont forget plugs and sockets,
i found my new love: 2mm banana

some switches and LEDs are also needed often

for oszilloskope i use currently Hantek 6022,
i saw it last year for 38€ now its back to 50/70

and a breadboard of course
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

+1 on the breadboard.

Some people hate them (there's a thread about that). I've had mine for some 40 years and it works quite well.

Breadboards are a great way to play around with circuit experiments to help learn what is happening.

I will caution, however, don't buy cheap junk breadboards. Poorly manufactured ones can have intermittent connections. I bought 3 of the long bricks and screwed them down to a metal chassis. Inside the chassis I put a transformer, rectifiers, caps and regulators for a +15, -15, +5 built in PSU. This is very convenient. The metal chassis also forms a sort of ground plane or shield.

Oh and +1 on the "fun" part too Cool

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Flounderguts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a breadboard or 6...but I rarely use them.

I came to synths from theremins...

I think the best way to get into this is to build a project. I'd suggest a desktop format synth, since you can integrate it into other things as you find out where your passions lie.

I'd further advise NOT just buying a kit, as that's really just paint by numbers. Find a project you like, buy the PCB, and then jump into the Bill of Materials, and start sourcing your components. You might spend a little more money, but $30 or so is worth the cost of learning how to read and source electronic components, as well as learning how to navigate the websites of Mouser, Digikey, Tayda, Jameco, Newark, and Arrow electronics...and AliExpress.

My first (successful) project was a Skookum Anookum, a north american version of the Mutable Instruments Anushri synth. I still use it every day...great synth!

My passion has been for desktop modules, and to date I have built a slew of Mutable stuff (MIDIpal, Ambika, Shruthi XT, Anushri), and MFOS stuff (Sequencer--heavily modded, echo rockit) and then jumped into designing my own circuits to modify my builds. My first full design was an ATTiny85 chipswitcher for the Moffenzeef Muskrat (for which there are 6 chip versions...but only one socket!)

Currently on my desk: a X0XB0X with crazy mods, a couple of quantizers, my own version of a MIDI>>CV interface (16 channels, 6 CVs per channel, gate, 4 triggers per channel), an FPGA theremin, and a Teensy project that converts light moire to audio.

But I started with a pretty easy through hole build.

+1 on a decent cheap soldering station. I also bought an Aoyue. Mine is an 888A, and I love my TS100 as well! I bought a Siglent oscilloscope, and I'm still learning how to use it.
I learned the most during my X0XB0X build, and the MFOS stuff is really good, as there are very detailed discussions on the MFOS website about exactly how it all works. I'd say the PAIA stuff is as good for that, only it can be a little pricier to build.

Flounderguts
dadinfinitum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you everyone for the tips and support.

I'm planning on getting a lot of the basics (breadboard, soldering iron, multimeter, etc.) and then start getting some of the components over a few months time (caps, resistors, ICs, etc.).

I'm looking at using perfboards, probably mounting in some sort of wood enclosure, with some amount of modularity (at the very least, if I get real hooked, connect to other external modules I may make in the future). Probably not keyboard/MIDI input, but definitely a sequencer.

I'm gathering a ton of links, scouring anywhere I can online to find tutorials and information, and saving them. I'm going through circuit design tutorials, how all the components really work, and how to read a schematic. You know, pretty elementary stuff for this. I started now so I can have a lot of time to research and get information and ask questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: