electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Upgrading from Micro Modular - G1 or G2?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

G1 or G2?
G1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
G2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

feeding_time

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject:  Upgrading from Micro Modular - G1 or G2?
Subject description: Need some advice
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey! I have had my micro modular for 6 months and really enjoy making/using patches, even though it is very frustrating that most patches I find I cannot open (probably because they were meant for the G1 or G2) and also using the Nomad editor doesn't exactly spark joy (the fact that it cant remember the folder I was in last when opening up a new patch is especially annoying cause I have to click through so many folders from my desktop directory every friggn time mad, short circuit ).

Anyway, I like the sound of Nord Modular and was wondering if I should go for the G1 or destroy my savings and go for a G2... I'm looking for pros/cons in terms of editor functionality/ease of use and compatibility with Mac OS and free patch libraries and yeah other technical stuff (not trying to open the sound comparison can of worms tbh)

Thanks! Razz
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome

Yeah, depends Laughing

G2 has more modules is easier to patch with and generally sounds smoother (whatever that is ...), the editor can be troublesome on later OS X versions. Can be picky on the USB interface (with hubs mostly), and the USB on the synth can broken - something to pay attention to when you buy a G2! (it can usually be fixed tho, or so it seems).

The classic .. well you know how it sounds .. editor will not run at all on OS X, but there are some alternatives .. anyway I assume you use windows .. which will work still. It is picky on the MIDI interface, some don't work well for it.

Edit: ow oops .. Mac OS: I can not run the G2 editor reliably on OS X Mojave 10.14.6 ... YMMV tho, as it seems to work for some .. but .. it is a 32 bit program, so you can not go past 10.14 I think.

feeding_time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
welcome

Yeah, depends Laughing

G2 has more modules is easier to patch with and generally sounds smoother (whatever that is ...), the editor can be troublesome on later OS X versions. Can be picky on the USB interface (with hubs mostly), and the USB on the synth can broken - something to pay attention to when you buy a G2! (it can usually be fixed tho, or so it seems).

The classic .. well you know how it sounds .. editor will not run at all on OS X, but there are some alternatives .. anyway I assume you use windows .. which will work still. It is picky on the MIDI interface, some don't work well for it.

Edit: ow oops .. Mac OS: I can not run the G2 editor reliably on OS X Mojave 10.14.6 ... YMMV tho, as it seems to work for some .. but .. it is a 32 bit program, so you can not go past 10.14 I think.

What about the Nomad software? I use that for my Micro and it works on my Mac OS(10.13) although its not great.. Is there a centralized place to find G1 patches? I'm worried I'll get the G1 and not have many patches to go off of. I am definitely up to make my own patches from scratch but its always nice to see what others have made and maybe tweak patches I already like. I make dance music btw so not trying to dive deep into the whole sound design dimension of these synths
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah Nomad works for me, the latest version that is .. except i can not send patches to the Nord's storage with it.

Re. NM Classic patches, see : http://electro-music.com/nm_classic/

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: