electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com
electro-music.com is in peril
Page 2 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Jack_Hertz

Audio files: 101
G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Talked to Howard, seems he's got the issue solved with loading old Linux, PHP, etc apps. FWIW, I have been using Digital Ocean for legacy stuff. They let you create virtual severs with any configuration, old or new. It is quite cheap and fast if anyone needs something like that. See here - https://www.digitalocean.com/go/developer-brand

After you move, I would highly recommend looking at MIGRATING (copying data, not starting over) to the InVision Power Board (IPB) system. They can transfer accounts, posts, messages, etc. They do have a migration path from PHPBB2. You can even hire them to do it for you if you like. Take a look here - https://invisioncommunity.com/services/migrate/

Anyone who wants to see the active IPB forums its pretty slick with really great tools for community members. See here - https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/

As for migrations, I do them all that time. LMK if you require any help with moving files and configurations etc.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Jack. After hours of work the AWS system turns out not to be effective for older OS systems. So their Centos 6 solution didn't work out but we are still working on it.

Also, it turns out to be expensive. It's target customer base are huge enterprises. There stuff reminds me of the old IBM world, where they have their own terminology and you can only do things with the tools they provide, often requiring special training. I had a long conversation with an AWS architect who after hearing about our site suggest we go the dedicated hosting route.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ouch! They really nail you on storage too.

For dedicated servers, I use Aptum almost exclusively for the last 10 years. A very roboust 8 CPU (16 cores) machine with 32GB RAM and 2TB RAID (mirrored) is only about $200 month if you sign a long term contract - https://aptum.com/services/infrastructure-as-a-service/

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE:

Things are moving along very slowly on the physical server front, mostly because of my own incompetence. It looks like we can get the data migrated to the new server by Wednesday at the latest. Jan has backed up the current server to his own machine in The Netherlands.

We, thanks to Ed Goldberg, did get our AWS instances installed and we will copy over our data there as an emergency backup. If you don't use AWS servers they only cost a few dollars a month.

Steve Mokris has volunteered to be our project leader. He's been involved with E-M since our very first festival in Philadelphia and has attended every festival since. He's had admin status on this site for years, so he knows his way around. He is a professional (makes a living doing these things) but he is going to be doing this pro-bono. Thanks, Steve.

The sooner I can get out of the critical path the better.

I"m going to set up a migration sub forum now so we can communicate with the team of volunteers an manage this project. Let's leave this forum topic for general information about the state of our situation. If Steve wants to use another system, we'll at least have the sub forum for a backup if needed.

I'll post an announcement on that here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put up the migration team forum. Click on the Forum Index. It's the first forum. (It happens to be the 251st forum.)

https://electro-music.com/forum/forum-251.html

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FWIW .. i did NOT do a SERVER backup .. I've backed up the HOME folders only.

So .. that EXCLUDES the FORUM POSTS (as that is in /var/something .. in a database).

But it it does include all uploaded files and all the forum tools and the radio and playlist stuff.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I put up the migration team forum. Click on the Forum Index. It's the first forum. (It happens to be the 251st forum.)

https://electro-music.com/forum/forum-251.html

Something with rights? It does not seem to exist.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

Something with rights? It does not seem to exist.

I fixed that. Let me know if I didn't Smile

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But you did .. so I should not let you know Laughing
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Took a snapshot of the forum posts too now (2022-08-08 20:51:21 UTC) ... so /this/ post is not in it :')

Blue Hell wrote:
FWIW .. i did NOT do a SERVER backup .. I've backed up the HOME folders only.

So .. that EXCLUDES the FORUM POSTS (as that is in /var/something .. in a database).

But it it does include all uploaded files and all the forum tools and the radio and playlist stuff.

stokes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Helping out
Subject description: Helping out
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to help out but will struggle to commit to a fixed amount of hours in a week - I'll keep an eye on the forum and if there's a job I can pick up I'll volunteer for it, if that approach is ok.

Adam
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Adam well let you know when we get things a bit further along.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new server is finally running, but of course not operational. At this point I think only Jan and I can work on thing just to get the basics working. Mysql, httpd, php, and the forum and the radio stuff. Working means it runs but there may be lots of errors because of the new OS and stuff.

Last night I tried to pull and all nighter like I often did when building the site. Unfortunately, I can't do that anymore. At 5:15 PM I went into AFIB. I couldn't get much sleep. At 12:30 AM it converted (went away). I have to take it easier.

That said, I have done a lot to get out of the critical path.

Stay tuned...

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happy to help with admin again, I can help with funding but it sounds like it's deeper than that. phpBB 2.0 customisations killed my old sites as I didn't really have the resources to handle the deprecations. But I'd be happy to help out, whatever you need.

Home,My Studio,and another view
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I noticed that srv5 is pretty up-to-date.
Is it on another server and is it synced ?
also is it still safe to post/upload things ?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can contribute funds if necessary, and can get back into the admin role here, I have more time for it now. Let me know what I can do.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I noticed that srv5 is pretty up-to-date.
Is it on another server and is it synced ?
also is it still safe to post/upload things ?

Yeah it is on a new server and reasonably up to date .. losts of refs though to the old server instead of the new one .. but can explicitly request stuff on srv5.electro-music.com and a lot works then .. including the radio ... and yes it had been synced .. and will be synced again at some stage .. so it should be safe to still post stuff.

I should be testing stuff .. but it is too damn hot here to do anything .. :cry: .. maybe the coming week temps will be a bit better ...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EdisonRex wrote:
I can contribute funds if necessary, and can get back into the admin role here, I have more time for it now. Let me know what I can do.

Cool Paul :')

if you have the energy .. you could test stuff at srv5 .. by using srv5.electro-music.com explicity (and manually) .. and ... the fun(ds) thing is for Howard Razz

EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok Jan, I *think* I remember my credentials there. you may need to reset.

I will PM Howard on the other bit. thanks

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been under the weather for almost a week. Not covid but the result of a med I'm taking. Anyhow as you all can see, thanks to Steve Mokris and and Jan we have been able to get things running on a new server. We will cut over as soon as we get the chance.

Thanks to many of you who have offered money and system admin time to help electro-music.com keep rolling. We are moved by your offers.

The TE-MPO non profit organization recently voted to support electro-music.com financially. They are setting up a fundraiser that will be online soon. We'll post that and you can contribute there. Be patient and thanks for your help and support.

If you want to volunteer to help debug the new server you can. Set your browser to srv5.electro-music.com and try it our. I've set up a new forum topic to report problems you may discover.

here is that topic https://electro-music.com/forum/topic-73558.html&

Thanks for your help...

klangumsetzer

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Oh dear, just found out.

I have none of the skills you need, I am afraid, but gladly contribute financially.

Even if I am a rare guest due to time constraints, this community and site are my home.

Eike
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We have cut over to the new server.

Thanks to smokris and blue hell, and all others who offered help. There are a few things that aren't working but these things will be sorted out in due time.

kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you to everyone who accomplished this server migration.

Though I don’t post as much as I used to this site and community means a lot to me.

Thanks for keeping everything running smoothly!

Jack_Hertz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Great job, guys.

Everything seems to be in order from what I can see.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

party!
oh it still has that new smell.

Big thanks! to everyone involved that made the migration to the new server happen. excellent work guys!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Page 2 of 3 [54 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com
Jump to: