electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 Engine a good choice for techy music?
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Jackout

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: G2 Engine a good choice for techy music? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I'm wondering if the G2 is a good choice for making tunes like deep house and techno. I'm torn between getting an Access Virus Ti or a G2 Engine with the poly upgrade and a controller with tweekable knobs.

What do you guys think about this? I've downloaded the CPU demo from Clavia and have had a play around with the patches but was wondering if there are any that show off the G2's techno potential?

Cheers,

D
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try the "drum demo" and the -welcome demo- they are not exactly what you are looking for but i think that if you are after such sounds you must go for the G2.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Nord G2 is IDEAL for intelligent techno (its easy to build your own drum custom machines with wikkid low end, synced fx, and midi out for controlling your samplers, outboard) ...

I'd go for the G2 keybaord as it's panel can give you 808 style sequence programming which is wikkid!

Lemme know if you have any questions...
/Dasz
Jackout

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys,

Quite suprised at that drum patch, sounds good for IDM stuff a la Warp Records. Had a mess around with the Nu Pad patch which produced some interesting results too.

Is the CPU demo an accurate reflection of the sound quality then or not? Is the actual hardware much better sounding in quality or are they similar?

Does the engine repond well to MIDI commands - i.e. hooking up a little MIDI keyboard with tweeky knobs on and assign them to parameters?
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The hardware boxes "respond" to midi very well. I have a G2 keyboard, but use external sequencers and other controllers alot. No software latency, it's instant! The demo doesn't do very well for showing the MIDI capabilities of the G2 (as I remember, most of the MIDI modules are disabled).

It's difficult to compare sound quality to the Demo, since you are running through your system sound card, etc. The G2 hardware is *always* running at 96kHz, 24bit audio. Most people don't run their systems at that rate. However, I hear the Demo algorythms are the same as on the hardware, so I don't think sound is very far off.

It sounds very good, but then again, the sounds it makes completely depend on the patch! If you want more grit in your sound, you have to patch it in.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The demo and the real thing sound the same to me, apart from some minor bug in the demo's divider module that could screw up timing or sound in certain very specific patches.
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I make techno.. the G2 sounds like the future of techno to me.. and if you plug it into your old midi synths it turns them into future techno machines too Smile

It makes my Waldorf Pulse sound positively modular Smile
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: G2 Engine a good choice for techy music? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jackout wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering if the G2 is a good choice for making tunes like deep house and techno.

yep, *IF* you don't mind spending lots of time on patching Smile
I've done many house/techno/electro/IDM/... experiments,
some examples

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-8371.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-3626.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-3954.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-4928.html
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-4815.html

misty.
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The G2 is an awesome machine. If you want it sounds techno, you'll make it sounds techno. Wanna some progressive rock/metal sounds? You got'em. Wanna make some nice fusion sounds a la chick corea? you got'em too. It's only a matter of programming Smile The only thing that, actually, you can't do is working with samples as most of modern romplers do.

Luca

tombola

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found the demo really good for understanding the interface, but pretty disappointing in terms of sounds. I got slightly nervous as I waited for the box to arrive, but was blown away when it did - it sounds great.

I'd second Dasz - if you can possibly afford the G2 Keyboard, it's really worth it.

Then again, you're not likely to come to this forum and get many people saying 'the G2 sucks, buy an Virus' are you?
monobass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tombola wrote:
I found the demo really good for understanding the interface, but pretty disappointing in terms of sounds. I got slightly nervous as I waited for the box to arrive, but was blown away when it did - it sounds great.

I was slightly dissapointed by the demo too.. despite being a diehard Nord Mod user. I was a little anxious when I was bringing my G2 keyboard home! But that disappeared within about ten mins when I started using the real thing, I can't explain why. Having spent the money makes you try harder I think, and lets face it.. trying hard counts for everything with a Modular. Although yes this was the stunning keyboard version, not the rack.

But what blows my mind everyday now is 95% applicable to the rack version too Wink

dasz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Contrgats, _Steve_!

It is so nice to see another G2 sale Wink

Enjoy the sequencers and all them blinky lights and LED knobs, and full editing of the patchw (except wiring and adding/dropping modules) all from the panel!!!

If you have any questions about the *_DZ patches or performances, lemme know.

Try to find some time to sleep when you're not patching.
/Dasz
Jackout

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I've been trying out a few patches in the CPU demo and am impressed. I managed to get some hair-raising stuff out of the Alpha Juno patch - a credit to it's creator.

A lot of the patches you can't load into the demo though as they've got parameters that aren't supported in the demo version. Can the G2 do "pretty things" like shimmery or moody pads? Are there any you can recommend for me to be able to load into the demo?

Sorry, I hope I'm not pissing you all off, I just need to know what I'm buying before I shell out a few hundred balloons
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jackout wrote:
Can the G2 do "pretty things" like shimmery or moody pads? Are there any you can recommend for me to be able to load into the demo?

absolutely... the demo comes with a wide variety of patches. make sure to check those out if you've missed them.

look at davep(eck)'s patches on this forum, too, for especially 'pretty things'

by the way, if a patch won't load, open it in the actual editor and remove the unsupported module (it's usually a Reverb, Audio In, or MIDI module), save it, and reload it into the Demo.

dream scape 4.pch2
 Description:
adapted from 'dream_pad_g2.pch'

Download
 Filename:  dream scape 4.pch2
 Filesize:  3.18 KB
 Downloaded:  1716 Time(s)

monobass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's well moody...
Qualium

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use my G2 Engine mostly for psytrance and related styles - and that all tends to be pretty damn 'techy'. If the whole 'synthesizer Lego' principle appeals to you, I'd say the G2 is exactly what you're looking for (it was exactly what I was looking for - though I've had a 'G1' MicroModular since '99, so I kinda knew that in advance).

My DAW is Logic 7 and I've been experimenting with using the G2 as a sequencer for instruments in Logic. Although Logic is the chunkiest sequencer alive today, there are things it can't do which the G2 can. But of course the G2 can do truckloads all on its own, though some decent effects to run it through won't go astray.

Smile
Q.
monobass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Qualium wrote:
My DAW is Logic 7 and I've been experimenting with using the G2 as a sequencer for instruments in Logic. Although Logic is the chunkiest sequencer alive today, there are things it can't do which the G2 can.

I've been doing exactly the same with Logic 7 Smile the G2 controlling more 'normal' instruments can have some pretty great effects.. and controlling smaple based drums or adding sample based layers to generative type nord patch is fantastic.

seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:
maple based drums

those are my favorite drums Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These comments all seem very biased for some reason... maybe because this is a G2 forum? Smile

In all fairness, I have to say that the Virus TI is an excellent synth for your type of music. I believe that it is fair to say that you will be able to get 10 to 20 great sounds from the virus in the time that it will take you to patch 1 great sound from the G2, and that's if you already understand modular synthesis!

The Virus seems to have been created for those kinds of 'techy' sounds and you'll find tons already created in the presets which may only need a slight tweak to suit your purpose. The G2 has very few (if any) of these sounds in the presets - people have commented on this in this forum before, and the general consensus is that you can find better patches posted here. Very Happy

The Virus sounds kind of phat, some may say it's the analog modelling, whereas the G2 sounds cleaner, more digital. Of course, the sound of the G2 can be changed by adding more modules.

Another comparison is to do with the filters... the filters on the Virus are superb (Moog simulations, etc.) straight out of the box, whereas the G2 filters are just OK... unless you take the time to patch some new modules to alter their sound.

Having said all that, the G2 has the potential to go much further than the Virus, with it's patching system. If you want sounds that you hear in the clubs, or you want them quickly, get a Virus, but if you want to create sounds that nobody has ever heard before, and have LOTS of time to learn and experiment how to get the best out of a modular synthesis system, then get the G2.

The G2 has SO much more to offer... it just takes more time. I have noticed that I have definitely spent less time making music since I got my G2, but maybe that's just me. I still use my Virus as well as the G2 - I like to think of them as different flavours of sound, if you know what I mean. I'd actually recommend that you get both!!!!

So this post wasn't much help after all! Shocked Very Happy

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
monobass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe.. I am totally biased.. if you always strive for 'new' sounds then the G2 is better.. if you like to really knock out ideas on the spur of the moment then the Virus would probably be better.. at least until you've spent a couple of years building up a G2 patch library Wink
Acidfever

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't agree with Sheridan. The Virus is a nice synth and the Ti can be impressive if you are a feature person and not a sound person.

After owning a Virus C for about 1 1/2 year it totally bored me.....the sound isn't that great if you don't add chorus or reverb and personally i don't think the virus sound matches well with non mainstream techno.

For mainstream stuff and groovy techno i think you could use it without a problem.

I sold my virus and re-purchased (i owned a G2 before) a G2 Engine and am allready using the G2's sounds more than i would ever use the Virus for.

Without FX, the G2 just sounds better than a Virus (to my ears at least).

Another thing that bothered me was the awfull modmatrix en LFO implementation on the Virus C, this is probably fixed with the ti but configuring these on the C was really terrible.

The Virus C/Ti moog filters do sound nice but are not irreplacable imo.

It all comes down to taste i guess. Personally i was impressed with the virus when i got it and got more irritated about it the longer i owned it. Now i sold it i haven't missed it for a second.

I do agree with you on the comment that the Virus is more suited for that "commercial" sound. Off course it can sound different but it takes more effort than i was willing to put into it.

sheridan wrote:
These comments all seem very biased for some reason... maybe because this is a G2 forum? Smile

In all fairness, I have to say that the Virus TI is an excellent synth for your type of music. I believe that it is fair to say that you will be able to get 10 to 20 great sounds from the virus in the time that it will take you to patch 1 great sound from the G2, and that's if you already understand modular synthesis!

The Virus seems to have been created for those kinds of 'techy' sounds and you'll find tons already created in the presets which may only need a slight tweak to suit your purpose. The G2 has very few (if any) of these sounds in the presets - people have commented on this in this forum before, and the general consensus is that you can find better patches posted here. Very Happy

The Virus sounds kind of phat, some may say it's the analog modelling, whereas the G2 sounds cleaner, more digital. Of course, the sound of the G2 can be changed by adding more modules.

Another comparison is to do with the filters... the filters on the Virus are superb (Moog simulations, etc.) straight out of the box, whereas the G2 filters are just OK... unless you take the time to patch some new modules to alter their sound.

Having said all that, the G2 has the potential to go much further than the Virus, with it's patching system. If you want sounds that you hear in the clubs, or you want them quickly, get a Virus, but if you want to create sounds that nobody has ever heard before, and have LOTS of time to learn and experiment how to get the best out of a modular synthesis system, then get the G2.

The G2 has SO much more to offer... it just takes more time. I have noticed that I have definitely spent less time making music since I got my G2, but maybe that's just me. I still use my Virus as well as the G2 - I like to think of them as different flavours of sound, if you know what I mean. I'd actually recommend that you get both!!!!

So this post wasn't much help after all! Shocked Very Happy
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:
After owning a Virus C for about 1 1/2 year it totally bored me.....the sound isn't that great if you don't add chorus or reverb and personally i don't think the virus sound matches well with non mainstream techno.

Everyone will have their own opinion. Personally, I feel that the FX in the Virus are part of the overall sound... if the sound "isn't that great if you don't add chorus or reverb", then add chorus or reverb... problem solved!

As for the modulation matrix... it's not a modular system, so I feel that the number of modulation options are reasonable, if not generous... there are certainly more than on other synths I have. Maybe you're a control freak like me? Mind you, I've only ever felt I needed more once or twice in several years.

Either way, I wasn't trying to claim that the Virus was better, but instead just trying to point out the differences. I think it may be a little unfair of you to smote the good name of Access, simply because it didn't suit your way of working or your style of music. I believe that it remains an excellent synth... just different to the G2.

At the end of the day, as you say, it's a matter of taste. A little hard to compare sounds though, as you have to use the G2 for a while before you can create the better/more different sounds. Good luck with your choice Jackout. Smile

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
dasz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd recommend getting a Waldorf Microwave XT (or Microwave 2 if you don't like/need 44 knobs) ...

it's got simmilar filters to the virus, as I recall (I think the same DSP developer did both filter designs, but I am not sure), but it's also got wavetables (besides the normal waveforms), and a sound all of its own ...

it's good for bass & drums, but really shines at pads, pads, pads ... and ambient evolving stuff (it's got some reaaaally loooong envelopes)

I owned one (MIcrowave2) and sold it to buy my original Papa Nord (NM Classic) ... I do intend to get a Microwave XT again one day ...

/Dasz

Last edited by dasz on Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
dxmat

G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
I'd recommend getting a Waldorf Microwave XT

Very wonderful synth! I love the XT!
Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: