electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The power to do my thang!- Introducing Mr Scott Stites :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you know anywhere that still has a good supply of the MN3XXX BBD chips? There's a place in Sydney which still has plenty of MN3207s (which is the one in the flanger) But that's the only one they have.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Absolutely!

One of my favorite places is Small Bear Electronics here in the States.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html

specifically:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Search.bok?category=ICs+Delays+and+Echo

Very reliable, run by a nice chap by the name of Steve Daniels.

There's a great assortment of BBD's - including the SAD1024 and (!) the MN3011. Those two are a bit more high priced, but then again, the MN3011 is $15.95, compared to around $100 around Europe. I was in a state of bliss when Steve got those in. I have every intention of building a clone of the A/DA STD-1 using it. It was designed for reverb, but I think it shines much more in the multi-tap chorus/flanger department.

Another line he has is the PT23XX series - I've had great luck with the PT2399. With good filtering and companding, it comes off sounding every bit as warm as a BBD-based device. Its delay range is in the range of the MN3005. I highly recommend picking up a few of those - quite easy to deal with (much easier than a BBD).

And, of course, the SAD1024, while a bit expensive, is probably the ultimate Flanger BBD.

I'm pretty sure Small Bear will send to Australia, but if you have any problems, I'd sure help you out. BTW, I believe they're closed for business until after New Years.

There's a lot of other great stuff there......this place is a DIY dream come true.

Cheers,
Scott

PS: For schemos and ops manual for the STD-1, you can go here:

http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/gearpages/effects/ADA-STD-1.htm

It excites me as much as the Dimension C did.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The STD-1 looks like a very cool unit.
Just the thing to hang off a mono DIY synth.
It's also a very full on circuit!
As you may have worked out from the flanger, I tend to like stripboard. Doing a stripboard version of the STD-1 would be a challenge. I did do the Soundlab though, and I'm sure it's entire schem would look no less daunting.
First I'll finish the Soundlab, then the CV keyboard, then the robotic ride cymbal, then the ASM1, then I'll start a set of modular add ons inspired by your KS-1, then, well I think by then I'll be about ready for a coronary!!
So I'll have to do the STD-1 in my spare time!! Laughing

"STD-1",.... it's kind of an unfortunate name isn't it?
Anyway, I'll see how I go.

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've done a few things with stripboard. Lately for smaller projects (and the rather large Dim C project) I've been using some protoboard from Futurlec (a rather more, shall I say 'disorganized' organization than Small Bear).

But, for my current absolutely gigantic project, I'm going back to stripboard. The current project is a 32 step analog sequencer that is actually made up of four independent 8 step sequencers. Each sequencer is a separate 'row' and can be clocked independently from the other rows. It can be divided up into several different configurations (8X4, 8X2/16X1, 24X1/8X1, 32X1, etc.). I've already designed a four channel 10 octave bipolar half step quantizer for it, and that alone chews up a fairly large stretch of stripboard. I made it bipolar so that signals from other modules can be quantized when the sequencer isn't using a particular channel.

I figure after that, building an STD-1 will be like screwing in a light bulb. Very Happy

I've also noticed the STD-1 has a rather unglamorous moniker. I will probably rename mine the 'Variable Delay 1'. No, wait...... Very Happy

Take care,
Scott
Wild Zebra

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey is that you DiyFreaque? Welcome if it is or isn't Cool
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Wild Zebra - yep, that's me! Thanks for pointing out this forum.

Cheers,
Scott
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Scott,
Do you reckon you can read all of that schem for the STD-1?
There are a couple of bits I'm not sure about.
I'd really like to give it a go, so I'm thinking of starting to play with a stripboard layout.
Where did you get the circuit for your sequencer? I'm thinking maybe a sequencer might be a better next step.
Well I better finish the extra Osc's and S&H for my Soundlab first.
Have you, or are you thinking of building a Soundlab?
See ya,
Happy New Year,
Andrew

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Andrew,

STD-1:
Yes, the blasted thing is very difficult to read. After a lot of investigation and conferring with Joe Kramer, my effects buddy, I'm pretty sure I have all of the right values. I went so far as to breadboard the LFO/clock circuit, driving an MN3007 with it, but then that BB was decommisioned when I needed the space to do a more immediate project. If you have any questions, fire them my way.

Sequencer:
For a couple of years, I had a simple, but very effective sequencer on the breadboard. It's the one used in all of my samples involving sequencing, so you can hear how well it works. I just recently disassembled it to make room for other things. It was something called "The Baby Sequencer" - I can't find the schematic for it on the web now, but I could email it to you if you'd like to check it out. It's about as simple as a sequencer gets, but it works quite well. It may make a very nice little partner to a Sound Lab. It's based off of a single 4017 IC, so it's configurable between 1 and 10 steps.

The sequencer I'm currently devising is a design of my own. My partner in crime, Jeff Pontius, wanted a different sequencer in addition to his Milton. We're handling it like the Dim C - I'm doing the electronics and he's doing the panel. With the basic concept we landed on, the number of available functions was staggering, and I managed to overwhelm Jeff with a catalog of things to put on the front panel. In the meantime, Jeff has been indisposed to other things, so I'm waiting on the final collection of functions before proceeding. The core of it is based on the ARP 1601 sequencer:

http://www.physicsenterprises.andrews.edu/diy_archive/manuals/arp/

By 'core' I mean I'm using the same decoder IC's. From that point, it changes drastically, because this concept is based on four independent 8 step sequencers that interact with each other synchronously or asynchronously from up to four different clocks. The schematics I have on it are a bit disjointed - the final 'concept' is being determined, so what I actually put to schematic depends on what Jeff and I decide to implement.

I have pretty much finalized the quantizer that will be used, and I've posted the schematic here:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/id15.html

SoundLab: I've had the board for a year and a half, but sadly, not the time (yet).

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Assorted samples of the Baby Sequencer in action:

10 Step Mode. Multitracked. One Track is Baby Sequencer controlling FM'ed VCO and DSC2000 through a Buchla Low Pass Gate clone:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/lpgseq1.mp3

8 Step Mode. Sequencer is sampled and held by Buchla 266 S&H clone, which has three outputs. Controlling two VCO's and the DSC2000

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/d8_1a.mp3

8 Step mode. Multi-tracked with each track synced to a pulse track on the recorder using Ray Wilson's Signal to Gate circuit. Using dual MS-20 Filter module. Lead played on Thomas Henry CV/Gate/Trigger keyboard:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/ms20_sync3.mp3
====

Latest project, sequencer in 8X2 mode (in other words, half of the sequencer, two rows, one row clocked by the divided clock of the first row). DSC2000 knob twisted lead. All one take (one track).

Edit: corrected link.
http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/8x2_mode.mp3
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went looking on your site at the sequencer stuff and stumbled across the Dimension-C ZCF project. Now I want to build one of those!
First though, I've got some ideas about how to get more out of my stereo flanger. The DIM-C uses the same MN3207 doesn't it?
One I definately want to try is replacing the bypass switches with regeneration phase inverters. I'm thinking all I need to do is wire up simple DPDT cross overs on the inverting and non-inverting inputs to the regen op-amps. What do you reckon?

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the schematic BTW

sfbes.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  sfbes.pdf
 Filesize:  79.15 KB
 Downloaded:  522 Time(s)

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Scott Stites - New Here Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Hi All,

Just stumbled across this forum - it looks like a really nice forum. I look forward to getting involved in the discussions.

I'm mostly into Modular Sythesis and effects - I build my own equipment for the most part.

I've got a couple of web pages:

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/birthofasynth/index.html

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/scottnoanh/slsdiy/index.html

Best Regards,
Scott

Scott, sorry for my utter rudeness!!

I'ts wonderful to have you here!!!!

Your site, your music and your wonderful 'DIY breadboard modular' have been an inspiration to me for a long time (I still have no clue where to begin with making websites tho!! Sad )

So..... welcome as we say.......

enjoy browsing the site- and I'm looking forward to reading your posts Very Happy

Tom (UK)

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:

8 Step Mode. Sequencer is sampled and held by Buchla 266 S&H clone, which has three outputs. Controlling two VCO's and the DSC2000

I started designing a sequencer based on using a Texas Instruments SN76477 as a modulation source- as in the Blacet Dark Star Chaos. The idea was that each channel would 'program' via the logic and other variables availiable to the SN76477, and that would blurt out all kinds of wierd and wonderful modulation nonsence! Unfortunately due to my product design degree course, I've had to shelve it for now- but if that inspires anyone to have some more input on the subject, please feel welcome Smile

We need to carry on this discussion in the DIY forum- to keep the site from getting confusing. Seraph, I'll leave that to you- as this is your terratory.

Tom

IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Seraph, I'll leave that to you- as this is your terratory.

Shocked it should be your territory too Exclamation can't you split a topic Question I'll do it if you want me to Very Happy
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

seraph wrote:
v-un-v wrote:
Seraph, I'll leave that to you- as this is your terratory.

Shocked it should be your territory too Exclamation can't you split a topic Question I'll do it if you want me to Very Happy

calm down Carlo- drink less espresso (or put more water in it!) Very Happy

I'm quite capable of splitting topics- but sometimes it's better to do it in your own terratory?- It's just politeness imo.

I'll split the topic later if you want when others around the world (remember the USA, Asia, Russia, Australia etc are in different timezones?) have had a chance to digest this welcoming thread.

Tom Smile

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kind words, Tom!

That sounds like a pretty cool concept for a sequencer for sure - the SN76477 is certainly a versatile IC. Were you thinking of using multiple 76477's with something like a sequential switch, or using one and applying different modulations to it?

Forgive me if this needs to go to a different thread - not sure how that works here, but powers that be, do your thing Very Happy
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

I'll split the topic later if you want when others around the world (remember the USA, Asia, Russia, Australia etc are in different timezones?) have had a chance to digest this welcoming thread.

do it as you please Very Happy

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Tom!

my pleasure Smile

Scott Stites wrote:

That sounds like a pretty cool concept for a sequencer for sure - the SN76477 is certainly a versatile IC. Were you thinking of using multiple 76477's with something like a sequential switch, or using one and applying different modulations to it?

Because of the scacity of these chips- I was only planning on using one chip- like the latter part of your suggestion. Using banana sockets on each sequencer channel to control the logic mixer- instead of spdt switches to keep the price down. Because as you know this chip was originally designed for 'Space Invaders' and the like I think it could have some pretty unique properties still waiting to be discovered. I actually thought what Blacet had done with it was fairly boring- that logic mixer, I reckon, has some extreme possibilities waiting to be tapped. For example each step of the sequencer could be wired to produce a wildly different set of modulation signals- which in turn could be used to control a SoundLab or whatever. What do you reckon? Any thoughts?

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Because of the scacity of these chips- I was only planning on using one chip- like the latter part of your suggestion. Using banana sockets on each sequencer channel to control the logic mixer- instead of spdt switches to keep the price down. Because as you know this chip was originally designed for 'Space Invaders' and the like I think it could have some pretty unique properties still waiting to be discovered. I actually thought what Blacet had done with it was fairly boring- that logic mixer, I reckon, has some extreme possibilities waiting to be tapped.

I quite agree, and had never thought of using it in that context - it's a very intriguing idea. I agree, the DSC2000 always seemed a bit limited in it's treatment of an IC that is capable of so much. I really haven't seen many examples that really push it.

Thomas Henry based the 'Super Controller' on it, but if you take a look at that, a lot of the peripheral circuitry is actually doing a great bulk of the work.

Quote:
For example each step of the sequencer could be wired to produce a wildly different set of modulation signals- which in turn could be used to control a SoundLab or whatever. What do you reckon? Any thoughts?

I think it's a great idea! You've got eight distinct states you can step through with the mixer controls (counting inhibited, which is valid - a step of inactivity would be a good tool when intertwined with the other 7 states). And the states would not have to be repetitive in nature - external control of the VCO, SLF, noise freq and noise filter would present different effects for a given address on the mixer controls. The VCO could be brought down to the subaudible range and modulated by the SLF and noise to produce chaotic CV's. Or the VCO could be driven at audio rates for FM of filter cutoff or VCO.

You could go so far as the make the selection of mixer states sequential via a counter and/or random via something like a shift register configured to give random output. Pretty cool idea, indeed.

Cheers,
Scott
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
You've got eight distinct states you can step through with the mixer controls (counting inhibited, which is valid - a step of inactivity would be a good tool when intertwined with the other 7 states). And the states would not have to be repetitive in nature - external control of the VCO, SLF, noise freq and noise filter would present different effects for a given address on the mixer controls. The VCO could be brought down to the subaudible range and modulated by the SLF and noise to produce chaotic CV's. Or the VCO could be driven at audio rates for FM of filter cutoff or VCO.

You got it in one Smile As you say inactivity is great too- and is a very valid tool (John Cage seems to think so anyway!!)

Scott Stites wrote:

You could go so far as the make the selection of mixer states sequential via a counter and/or random via something like a shift register configured to give random output. Pretty cool idea, indeed.

That idea seems pretty damn cool too! In fact I had 2 SN76477's left- one of which I gave to the Wild Zebra (I must introduce you to Tim who's also here somewhere).

I'm hoping that we could get other great minds (like Dnny and Uncle-K and everyone else who's names I've spaced on) on the list to do a collaborative project and build this thing as a sort of project that came from the vaults of the DIY section of electro-music.com It could be a lot of fun Smile

Chaps?

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was sitting here reading this thread and thinking "what the hell are these guys going on about? Did someone give me a trans-orbital lobotomy while I was asleep?"
Then SN76477 came into focus. "I remember that part number!!"
I typed it into google and suddenly my brain came back online.
My second WSG type project (when I was about 1Cool was based on an SN76477! I had all the possible connections hooked up to a panel of plywood covered with second hand switches and pots. I used to sit there making all kinds of noises which I would mix into the background of the "music" I was making then.
So, as long as I'm not in the middle of a brain fart, I'll help however I can. Where do you get them these days? They must be almost extinct.

v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

they do come up on ebay from time to time. I also found a company in the States who had a pile of them left- apparently you can still get them
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
In fact I had 2 SN76477's left- one of which I gave to the Wild Zebra (I must introduce you to Tim who's also here somewhere).

Ahhh- I see you've already met- phew this is gonna be a hard night- will definately need a drink now drunken

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure why this chip has almost cult status, surely it would be better to just duplicate its meager functions using readily available CMOS?

Mind you, I think the cult of the SID is just silly as well. Embarassed
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Not sure why this chip has almost cult status, surely it would be better to just duplicate its meager functions using readily available CMOS?

Mind you, I think the cult of the SID is just silly as well. Embarassed

Silly? Why?? Perhaps the LSD in New Zealand just aint strong enough?? Shocked Laughing Cool

Think of how a chotic generator (or not so chaotic) could be utilised- (or should I say 'manipulated'?) under voltage control- the results could be mind-blowingly fun!!!

edit: CMOS? sounds good!- do you want to design a model of the SN7 for us from CMOS? that would be very cool Very Happy

edit number 2.... The SID chip is very nice- but the problem with that is that it is under digital control- which is no interest to me- anyway Elektron did a brilliant job with the SIDstation- so why bother going down those lines again?

Like Thomas Henry, I'm interested in the SN7 as a controller, not necessarily as a sound sourse.

Edit number 3- (sorry I'm a bit pissed now- and the reading of text is becoming hard....!) Why has this chip got cult status? Well I think it's because- as for most people it had people stopped in their tracks when it first appeared in the late 70's. I know this was certainly the case for me. I made my first synth when I was 11 (when I used to live in Canada) from a TI SN76477. It was almost a complete synth on a chip- it was a cult item as soon as it reached the shops- thats why.

Edit number 4- "pissed' as in the good old blighty sencse of the word- 'drunk'- not 'angry' as in the American sense of the word- just like 'Stoned' in the US sense of the word means something slightly different in english English!

Last edited by v-un-v on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: