electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Tenori-on
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Macaba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Tenori-on Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/01/musical_led_panel.html

I rather like this instrument, its extremely intuitive.
I'm thinking to myself 'How is such a project constructed'.

So I put this thread here to facilitate the thinking processes so that perhaps one day we could make a clone of such an instrument, with perhaps more useability (Midi output/CV outputs).
It also in my mind has a very pratical use as a sequencer.

Observations:
16x16 grid of tactile LED switches. Similar to:

http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80010&CTL_CAT_CODE=30463&STK_PROD_CODE=M72855&XPAGENO=1

Note that 16 x 16 = 256, which is easily addressable in a 8 bit byte.

I'd like to hear methods of perhaps using a PIC microcontroller to acheive a basic level of functioning. Also- A very cheap source of those switches would ideally be found, so I could afford to build a prototype and experiment. Smile

Sure, it may not be as nice as the Tenori-On, but hypothetical thinking never hurt. Smile
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great post. This is very very cool. Be sure to check out the video on the first link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is very cute. I thought this post referred to another 16x16 LED controller I saw posted on SynthDIY, but this is different. The other controller was hooked up to a computer display which showed the proximity of fingers as height on a 3D bar graph. So instead of physical switches, it used the LED as a phototransistor during half of the multiplexing cycle. Effectively creating 256 mini d-beams. I guess the two systems could be combined with clever division of time.
Macaba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More thoughts:

My guesses/ideas at Basic Modes of Operation

Straightforwards Note Playing:
Its difficult to say how the notes progress over a 2D area. It seems to me that it works extremely similar to this 'theremin' program for the pocket pc:
http://www.pdagold.com/software/detail.asp?s=405
Someone knowledgable suggest how 256 'notes' could be arranged, and how many notes per octave, bearing in mind that its only this mode that will have this arrangement of notes, because other modes are more sequencer style modes

Static Sequencer, Static Time Interval:
The 16 accross is basically a 16-note sequencer. It goes through the notes selected from left to right, at a speed selected when you hold a button on the body and choose from 256 speed settings. (I think this is similar to the tenori-on) You have 16 notes to choose from (Not much, 2 octaves?), but this not neccessarily need to be a inhibition, because another button on the body could allow you to go up or down an octave, select notes to play there, and come back to the main 2 octaves. You just have to remember they are there.

Static Sequencer, Dynamic Time Interval:
The only similarity to the one above, is that it plays the notes where you press them. Everything else is different, and this is how I would describe it: You press a note anywhere, taking advantage of the 256 note range, then you press 2 more notes anywhere. Now, not only does it remember the location of the notes, the ORDER of the notes, it remembers the TIMING between notes. So you could have 2 really quick notes in succession then a low bass note, as an example.

Dynamic Sequencer:
I really rather liked the bouncing sequencer, it looked fun. It seemed to me this is something like how its arranged: The 16 notes accross is the musical range. When you select a height on that column, it starts bouncing at a set speed, and everytime it hits the bottom the note is played. If you press any location in the same column, it just stops that column from playing, and you can press a different height to resume.

Drum Kit:
There are Nth number of circles on the screen (not sure how many drums a standard drumkit has) and when you tap them, it plays that drum. This could be taken further with the 'Static Sequencer, Dynamic Time Interval' principle, in that it remembers the order and timing between notes, so you can get a drum/bass line going.

Synth modes:
This would be taking it to the boundaries, it would be fun to experiment with this. Basically, you select a synth module, and the basic controls for it come up on the screen. You then patch in our clone to a synth and use it as a normal module. Obviously it'll be digital, but the advantage is that you will probably already have the clone connected to the synthesizer to use the sequencer, so to change to a Synth Module mode is just a natural progression. TB-303 mode anyone? This really just depends on programming skill, and effective use of the limited number of switches. (for example: Pots would be represented by 2 switches- Up and Down).

Some ideas there, some derived from Tenori-On and some original ones (or we just havn't seen them on the Tenori-On yet).

To comment on the concept further:
If we were to develop such an instrument, because of its flexiblity, its more suited to professional applications, and its inherant upgradability (just a firmware flash away!) means 'value for money' so to speak.
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The same individual (Toshio Iwai) who designed Tenori-On also designed the Electroplankton software for Nintendo DS. I suspect there will be several similarities between Tenori-On and Electroplankton:

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2006/01/16/how-to-make-music-with-electroplankton-101/
Macaba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Typical isn't it. I went to my local Maplin (electronics shop) to get a PIC microprocessor to experiment with. They didn't have the one i wanted. The guy suggested I read out part numbers of suitable replacement parts. I read about 8!!! other PIC's, and they didn't have a single one. :S

I've been having a few ideas about interfacing, and I think it isn't too ambitious to set an aim to initially have this as a serial interface instrument for the computer, it certainly allows flexibility. Then i'll look into MIDI IC solutions perhaps after that.

Annoyed about bad electronics shops. Smile
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Macaba wrote:
Typical isn't it. I went to my local Maplin (electronics shop) to get a PIC microprocessor to experiment with.

Farnell ( http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp ) has a large collection of PICs.

Macaba

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the suggestion, but I wanted to try and avoid the postage that costs more than the PIC itself! :O

I'll try some other contacts. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: