electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Uncomplicated NE566 or LM566 Poll
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next

Do you have a lonely little NE566 or LM566 on the premises?
Why, yes I do!
61%
 61%  [ 11 ]
Nope.
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 18

Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Uncomplicated NE566 or LM566 Poll
Subject description: How many people have this VCO IC?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, another MIA integrated circuit poll. This one concerns the NE566 or LM566 VCO IC. I googled around for it, and, man is that a hard one to find these days!

Thomas Henry wrote a book on it "Making Music With the 566" back when Midwest Audio was still around. As I understand it, Magic Smoke is looking at doing a reissue of it.

Reason I'm asking is that, before Thomas faded back into his teaching job, he laid one more free-for-the-public design in my inbox, for which I'll be doing another web page.

This one is not a VCO, but rather a drum voice. Three IC's (566, 3080, TL074). Three times that many controls - (trigger sensitivity, shell volume, intial shell frequency, shell frequency CV amount, impact tone, impact volume, shell waveform blend, master volume, decay and sweep). It does everything from woodblocks to bass to toms to those hideous Synare disco-era-killing sounds. It takes a pulse input and provides voltage control of shell frequency. It's really fun to control from a keyboard.

A typically very easy yet very effective circuit from Thomas.

Cheers,
Scott
volare

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you need a NE566 or LM566 VCO IC go down to your local electronics store and buy a NTE994m. The NTE chip works fine in all my circuits that call for a NE566 or LM566 VCO IC.

Dave
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent! Forgot to cross it to NTE.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and

welcome

Best Regards,
Scott
toppobrillo

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah NTE [sorry about getting off topic] i have a sortta old catalog o'theirs and i have looked through and discovered that they got a BBD and clock driver, a top-octave and divider type thing and acoupla other good bits i cant remember now, prolly hella expensive tho' but cool to know.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aint no 566s in this here neck o' the woods Sad
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lucky for me, I got a whole cache of these NE566 chips. I have about 35 or so. I was on a building binge using these things to build up drum voices and VCO's for a while. I also have about 40 of the 3080's but they are easier to get.

I was just doing Ebay searches and found good sources for them at reasonable prices! Very Happy

Volare is certainly correct and to reitterate this:

Quote:
SIGNETICS introduced this part and the pros agree these perform best.
National Semiconductor copied this part under the P/N LM566 LM566C,
and NTE Electronics, Inc. copied this part under their own P/N NTE994.

Here is the current Ebay auction on 6 chips !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scarce-NE566-Functn-Gen-VCO-Synthesizer-LM566-566_W0QQitemZ280012595583QQihZ018QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck !
Bill
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep - I saw that auction, but never bothered to search out the NTE replacement. Generally I disregard those parts mainly because they're usually quite jacked up in price. In an instance where they're the only alternative, though, that's a different story.

As pointed out, there is a bit of difference between the NE and LM, (Thomas also makes mention of it in his 566 book, IIRC), but I'm not sure how critical of a difference it is. I'll have to go back and take a look. I've got both - I ought to drop the LM into the circuit and see if there's any noticeable difference.

35 NE's - yowza!!

Cheers,
Scott
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
If you need a NE566 or LM566 VCO IC go down to your local electronics store and buy a NTE994m. The NTE chip works fine in all my circuits that call for a NE566 or LM566 VCO IC.

Oh yes, welcome ... I think you will really enjoy this entire forum !!

Bill Very Happy
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Aint no 566s in this here neck o' the woods

Sad Sad Sad

Hey Unkle "K", let me know if you ever want a couple for a project. Seems like you are buried in your current projects right now so I suppose you wont be needing any for a while. Shocked

PS: I like the picture of your work space! very nice !!

Bill
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Bill! Smile
Yes, things are pretty full on in the way of uncompleted projects at the moment. But the good news is that the Soundlab should be officially "finished" within the next week. Cool

State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Thanks Bill! Smile
Yes, things are pretty full on in the way of uncompleted projects at the moment. But the good news is that the Soundlab should be officially "finished" within the next week. Cool

Very cool about the Soundlab project!!! At the EM06 conference (festival), I had won a soundlab printed circuit board during one of the raffles! Dam cool door prize I thought to myself! I have started to populate the board a small bit at a time. It's the version without the 1V/Oct change but just plan to use it more for sound FX type things and "drones". I have a couple projects also to complete Very Happy

Has anyone designed that new circuit that does the following transform?

24Hours * n= new_day_length

where n is user supplied variable ...

Bill
shawn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a nice little stack of them and the 566 book that thomas henry wrote. Can't wait to see what else is in store. I have yet to build anything with them. Waiting for my cnc lathe to be finished.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Waiting for my cnc lathe to be finished.

Now that sounds like quite an "electro"- mechnical project Cool

Is this something you are building/designing?
shawn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kit form actually. I originally was going to build it myself but I realized it was time consuming to get everything cut. Especially the lead screws which you have to get custom made. Guh. I'll be able to mill a pcb 12x24, double sided (by flipping it over) without ever having to use chemicals ever again. I HATE using chemicals. Best part is it has a 3" z plane so I can do stone engravings, wood cuts, etc. Mostly for doing circuit boards, tired of having all these modular synth schematics and no desire to deal with chemicals.
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Kit form actually. I originally was going to build it myself but I realized it was time consuming to get everything cut. Especially the lead screws which you have to get custom made. Guh. I'll be able to mill a pcb 12x24, double sided (by flipping it over) without ever having to use chemicals ever again. I HATE using chemicals. Best part is it has a 3" z plane so I can do stone engravings, wood cuts, etc. Mostly for doing circuit boards, tired of having all these modular synth schematics and no desire to deal with chemicals.

This is very interesting. I would like to know more about this CNC kit. Does not sound like it would be cheap, this I understand. You can post here, or, private mail me with some details. I would appreciate that. Very Happy
toppobrillo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey whats up shawn..

yeah i been doing abit of looking around at some CNC options, i was hoping that the sign shop i worked at would invest in one, but i guess they needed to get a new printer first..

milling boards would be cool, making nice panels would be super cool too. if you get it together, you might be able to make a little change on cutting our panels, eh?

yeah, it might be expensive to do a 'one off' but if ya'll know anybody in the sign biz and bring in your own metals and properly formatted layout, they might just let you mill a front panel.. or 12. hah

yeah, dremel should come out with a little milling table accessory!!! why not?? that would be awesome
+
+

josh
shawn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yo josh.

I debated on doing front panels or boards for people. It all depends on free time. I certainly don't have too much of it these days.
bigtex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh wow. CNC mill for etching circuit boards. Brilliant! The thought never even crossed my mind. I'm sure the Z axis is accurate enough to take off just the copper and a tiny bit of board without gouging it up too bad. What a great idea.

Just one more item on my reasons why I need a CNC mill. Well... maybe if I move out of this darned expensive city and can afford to have a workshop...

Anyway, back to the poll. If the NTE replacements are cheap and easy to find, I'd love a crazy drum voice. Count me in! If I'd have to hunt down an expensive chip for it, then I'd prefer something made with current parts...
shawn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm told it's to be pretty accurate, just by how much I'm not sure but I was assured that pcb work isn't an problem with the lathe.
bigtex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait... lathe? Not a mill? With a lathe you rotate the object and manipulate the position of the cutting bits. With a mill you manipulate the table that the object is mounted on to move it against a drill or milling bit.

What am I missing here? How can you lathe a PCB? Lathes cut cylindrical objects (because they are rotating).
shawn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ack.
Last edited by shawn on Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well you are correct about rotational, some lathes contain an A axis for tilting so the term has been used to call it a cnc lathe. I suppose it's a loose term but you are correct. CNC Mill would probably be a more accurate name for what I'm building.
bigtex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way, where did you get this kit and how much is it? I'd very much like to have one of these at some point.
shawn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The kit runs at $395 BUT if you need lead screws, that's an additional $166 (they must be custom made). This includes the router and the holder for the router. This doesn't include shipping or paypal fees if you wish to use paypal.

Then you are going to need something to control it.
So you will also need a controller which runs from $120-$300

You'll also need stepper motors. These run about $50 EACH. So for 3 axes that's another $150.

Total breakdown is: $991 if you get a decent controller for $200.

The kit can be obtained at http://mikebeck.org/

Mike's really nice and will answer all questions. It takes him 10-12 days to put the kit together (includes ordering custom lead screws for you if you don't want to bother.) He has a full time job, life, etc. Something to think about if you are impatient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: