electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
MOTU MTP AV-USB under OSX (10.3.9)
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ggm1960

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: MOTU MTP AV-USB under OSX (10.3.9) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm the guy that had all the trouble getting the MOTU interfaces to work on a non-serial port Powerbook Lombard G3 running OS9.2.2.

I got all that whipped and happily used the MOTU's Clockworks program to set up my MTP II as well as a newer MTP AV-USB; creating patches, modifiers, midi cannons & base setups for live perfomance.

It was great and so I recently acquired a Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz laptop running OSX 10.3.9.
I installed the MOTU Clockworks program for OSX only to find out the program looked as dumb-downed and simplistic as the Windows version!

What happened? How do you set up the MOTU MTP AV-USB's patches, modifiers & midi cannons on the mac running OSX??
ggm1960

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess the other two people on the planet that use these functions are not on these forums.

The fact that this question has gone unanswered across the whole internet actually is an answer. MOTU doesn't have the time or resources to devote to features that don't get used.

The patches, modifiers and midi cannons are only of value to people that use these units in a live rig and most these units have never been outside the door.
heyitsjimi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey There,
I'm in the same boat ! I've been looking all over the internet. I just bought a MTP AV USB on ebay. It had an older manual, couldn't get it to work, bought a current manual from MOTU (what a waste of money), couldn't figure out why I couldn't find modifiers and cannons and all the good stuff. I'm in a state of shock, and I'm royally P.O.d. I had everything you're talking about set up in my JL Cooper MSB Plus which I've had since the mid 80's. It's starting to act up, which is why I bought the MTP.
If you're able to set up the configurations you need using ClockWorks in OS 9, will the MTP have the setups in memory and be useable when you switch over to OS X. If so, it'd be a solution as long as you're using the same gear all the time. Does this make sense to you ? If you read this, please contact me. If we put our heads together, maybe we can come up with a workable solution. My email is heyitsjimi@yahoo.com
Best of luck to us both !
Jimi
ggm1960

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only way to setup modifiers, patches and midi cannons is with the OS9 version of Clockworks. The OSX version just doesn't include these features. There's little doubt that few people were using them and MOTU just didn't see a need to port them to OSX.
I've had to keep a Lombard laptop with OS9 around just for this purpose.

Of course once the unit is setup the way you want it you can use it standalone but don't use the OSX version of Clockworks on it or you'll run the risk of losing all your settings.

I bought the Lombard laptop on eBay for $75 so it was a minimal investment. The OS9 Clockworks program is a little quirky but it gets the job done and the unit performs rock solid after being setup right.

Most people apparently just use sequencer programs and/or keyboard workstations for these functions and I'm switching to that route as well.
heyitsjimi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply. Believe it or not, I've kept a Lombard in case of emergency. This might not be an emergency, but close enough. What version of ClockWorks are you using, and would you be willing to share ?
It probably won't do any good, but I'll be calling MOTU on Monday to put up a stink. If everybody did, maybe they'd get around to porting this over to OSX, as they should have in the first place. Their promo for this product is very misleading,too. IMHO
Thanks again. Please let me know about your version of ClockWorks.
Jimi
ggm1960

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Clockworks programs are available for free download at http://www.motu.com/download/mac-downloads.html . On the OS9 side select MIDI Interface Software. Looking there I see the version is 1.07. I don't think you need freeMIDI except for serial units but I don't recall. I have it installed because I also have a MTP II.

You may need to setup an account there before you can download but that is also free of charge. If you've already ordered there you probably already have one.

If you still need help I can e-mail the programs.

I have to agree that it really sucks that MOTU didn't make these features available in the OSX version. It's kind of like replacing a CD player with an 8 track tape deck, a giant leap backwards.
heyitsjimi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I fired up my Lombard, and guess what ? I have that version of ClockWorks and FreeMidi (I use Digital Performer). The release date was 9/28/2000. A lot of things have happened in the world since then. Who ever ends up having to talk to me at MOTU on Monday probably ain't gonna enjoy the conversation. Then again, they've probably gotten the same bitch so many times, they could probably recite their stock answer in their sleep. Thanks so much for your input. I haven't hooked things up yet , but I'll keep you posted about that and my chat with the folks at MOTU.
Jimi
ggm1960

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recently acquired DP ver5.13 myself although I've really not worked with it enough to know anything about it. I was hoping I could set it up for live midi use with my band and that it would be "smart" with the MTP AV and do the things I'd previously relied on the MTP to do albeit with just a simple routing setup, all on my MBP under 10.4.11.

My DAW experience is primarily with Sonar/Cakewalk but I've dabbled in Cubase LE and more recently Logic Express.

Back when I started this thread I was using a 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4 and Macs were a new thing for me. I'd switched because I just didn't like the "pickyness" of my Toshiba laptop for live use although I had a pretty good setup going when it was working.

The MTP AV and II units replaced similar functionality I'd been getting from the Bome's MIDI Translator PC program but having to set them up with the old Lombard has always been a major pain in the ass.

Let me know what MOTU have to say for themselves. I'd also complained to them at the tech support part of the website and pretty much got the brush off.

Just FYI the only other people I've seen complain about this posted here:
http://www.recordingchannel.com/motu-mtp-av-usb-and-windows-405069.html
heyitsjimi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've thought of doing that,too. I just find it rather irritating to have to lug the computer to do the same things my 20 year old JL Cooper midi interface could do by itself. Here's the way I figured would be easiest going that route. Set up a different chunk for each song, or song segment in which you need to send midi info (and name it accordingly). If you have complicated stuff happening, this might be the best route. Keep in mind that input filtering is universal. Whatever you have filtered on one chunk (sequence), will be filtered on all of them, so leave that kinda stuff to MTP.
If you're doing simpler stuff like patch change and controller info, it'd be a walk in the park.
You could also have just one main chunk, set to multi-record, and change routings on the fly. This might be harder if you're changing stuff in the middle of songs and if you have very little dead-air between songs with your band.
ggm1960

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used to just send out program change messages to several devices between songs but now I want to take it to the next level and run sequences, audio and program changes during songs synced to a click track.

I don't really understand the whole chunks, sequences, songs, racks thing yet, I've got a lot to learn.
heyitsjimi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For right now, just think of chunks as being sequences- you can link different chunks (sequences) together to create a "song. I haven't really gotten into the V-rack thing. You can use that for VIs and AUs that you use a lot.(think having a B4 along with eq and reverb plug-ins as being one V-rack)
I have a single act, and all I use are chunks. I haven't bothered with songs. At this point the V-racks seem like more trouble than they're worth, but then again, I haven't played around with them very much.
Let me know how the click track thing works for you. I've never done that.
heyitsjimi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey ggm, I'm having a problem. I hope you can help me. I'm trying to set things up so I can control 2 synths from 1 controller. The Device Settings & Routing window lets me connect stuff...good....but the Channel Map window only lets me map from the controller to 1 channel. I need to be connected to 2. What am I doing wrong ???
It's 8:41 a.m. here, and I've been up all night. I'm going to bed. If there's a message waiting with a solution when I wake up, it'd be great.
jimi
ps
you can call me a moron if you'd like
ggm1960

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heyitsjimi wrote:
Hey ggm, I'm having a problem. I hope you can help me. I'm trying to set things up so I can control 2 synths from 1 controller. The Device Settings & Routing window lets me connect stuff...good....but the Channel Map window only lets me map from the controller to 1 channel. I need to be connected to 2. What am I doing wrong ???
It's 8:41 a.m. here, and I've been up all night. I'm going to bed. If there's a message waiting with a solution when I wake up, it'd be great.
jimi
ps
you can call me a moron if you'd like

With what you've written my guess is the controller. The one I'd been using until recently (M-Audio ES88) only transmits on one channel at a time. The MTP will pass all channels by default to all ins and outs. You should be able to use that channel mapping section to "translate" any input/output channel to any other channel. I had the best luck when I translated the output line to the channel I wanted.

For example: Controller sends out midi on ch1 to MTP input 1. Synth 1 gets midi from output 2 and is set to receive midi ch1. Now Synth 2 on output 3 either needs to be set to receive on ch1 or let's say it's responding on channel 2. Go to Channel Map and set output 3 to translate ch1 midi to ch2.

Don't know if that helps, I'm not currently at the right computer and I'd need more details about your setup to be anymore specific in my response.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » OSX as a music workstation
Jump to: