electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
HEY PEAKE... the 258
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh no, thread tangent/hijack. Looks like I'll have to start a new one (and a new one, and a new one..)
Peake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And what a surprise it would be if anyone actually produced vintage power supplies- HA! Laughing

What does the Buchla 258 sound like, for those who have never used one, or can't, a rough mix teaser, all Buchla 200, but be careful: VINTAGE POWER SUPPLIES CAUSING PITCH MOVEMENT!!!:

BuchlaETeaser.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  BuchlaETeaser.mp3
 Filesize:  1.26 MB
 Downloaded:  1521 Time(s)

numbernone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh you are such a LIAR!!!

That was like MUSIC music, and EVERYONE knows Buchla are only good for BUG MUSIC.

WHATEVER it was, it sounded good
verbos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
And what a surprise it would be if anyone actually produced vintage power supplies- HA! Laughing

I wonder how drifty that one is really. Buchla made several models of supplies before he switched to the power ones.

The 215 had a 48 volt transformer tapped in several places to give off +/-24 as well as +12 volts. Then the 215 regulator board created a regulated +/-15 and +5. Buchla rates each rail at 600 mA. There were 3 versions of this circuit. A, B and C. This is not a switching supply. I think this is what Mike has.

The one used in the Music Easel, 214, used a HUGE transformer and cap to create unregulated 12 volts. Then it ran to a converter board that output +/-24 volts. This was then run to a 215 regulator board that created +/-15 as well as +5. This one can use a 12 volt battery instead of the transformer and cap combination. This circuit could also be run off of a 12 volt DC wallwart. This is a form of switching supply. The 214 "booster board" uses inverters and caps to multiply the voltage. Curiously, this supply is listed as handling 700mA, 1600mA and 1000mA for the +5, +15 and -15 outputs respectively. I am assuming because the model of 215 I'm looking at is early and this used the 215C regulator board.

mark
paults

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mike:

A informative thing to post (although a bit of work on your end) would be 2 short pieces (say 30sec each), with the only thing different are the power supplies. That way, we could all listen to the differences to understand better how the Buchla modules interact with the supply.
Peake

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

verbos wrote:
Peake wrote:

I wonder how drifty that one is really. Buchla made several models of supplies before he switched to the power ones.

I'm fairly certain that it's a 215, but I'll have to check. Just listen to the bass sound in the "melodic" part of the soundbite- beehiving movement. Magnificent. Thanks for the "sounds good", numberone (who is numbertwo?).

The vintage power supply Buchla 258s are good enough for dynamic, aleatoric music, and melodic music, even if the 217 was sticky at times. I'm still hoping that Mitchell will use the 100 machine at Hayward to produce the Buchla classical piece he'd asked after.

So, every single sound in that soundbite is 258bs in an all-Buchla setting; no non-Buchla modules were used. Lots of computer effects and one backwards edit, lots of EQ and some compression. And later in the track I answer another annoying, age-old question- "Hey, how DO you patch a string sound?" For those who don't know, I'll answer after all this time: detune two saws and run them through a bandpass filter with soft attack and release. Yes, the Buchla does a standard synth string sound, with recognizable notes. And 808 sounds as well. And is lively enough in the pitch department to please the most diehard musician into grinning Laughing

I'm glad that Mark is here; he's one of the few around who understand this stuff at both an electrical and a musical level (but a Rasputin avatar!?)
verbos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:

I'm glad that Mark is here; he's one of the few around who understand this stuff at both an electrical and a musical level (but a Rasputin avatar!?)

Actually, it's Vlad the Impaler, but I'm glad to be here. Wink

Mark
Peake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My second guess was Vlad, no joke...

I'll put the Buchla PS on the VOM someday and see what it says.
norman phay

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What actually would be interesting would be to close tune one of your 258s to a digital oscillator to hear how it beats, in its sinuous fashion (I imagine) against a rock-solid tuned raw wave source. Could actually be interesting/curious (if a little obsessive, heh) to do this for a bunch of diff't VCOs. I'd be up for doing that with the VCOs I have.

I digress, anyway, just wanted to say a/as always, you under value your musical ablilties, that's a nice little clip, and I wanted it to go on longer. and b/I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. I don't have any ua726s, but dating back to when I made an abortive attempt at building up an elektor/formant setup (the oscs of which use 726's), I've got a couple of little boards that this guy made up years ago, that supposedly are a drop in for the 726, when they're made up.. I've had the things in the box for nearly 20 years! Pretty scary, eh, how quickly it passes. I have a couple of 258-inspired VCOs which I'm likely going to flog in the next month or so, so if you do a DIY version either as a layout or as a PCB, I'd be up for a few for sure.

As an aside, the only 726 VCO I have is the one in my SH09, a nice chunky-soundling little instrument. I don't know how much a contribution to the instrument's tone and feel the 726 makes though, overall.
numbernone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Thanks for the "sounds good", numberone (who is numbertwo?).

For well over a decade a powerful visual block seems to have been in place which deprives most all people from seeing that I am not numberONE, but numberNONE. NumberONE in anything is welcome to his or her place, I dont need the title, very very comfortable in the shadows.

I also say welcome to Mark, and thanks for posting so many great photos of your Buchla contraptions and builds in your Flickr. I have strange feeling there are piles of Buchla here in NYC that I ride my bike past every day, not knowing whats on the other side of those walls. NYU has a 100 system if Im not mistaken...

back to vintage PSUs...
verbos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

numbernone wrote:

I have strange feeling there are piles of Buchla here in NYC that I ride my bike past every day, not knowing whats on the other side of those walls. NYU has a 100 system if Im not mistaken...

As far as I know NYU only has that 100 system with the 410 in it that I have seen on the 'net. My old roommate was in the music program there abotu 2 years ago. He got to try out the Buchla.

I for one do not think the uA726 has anything to do with the sound. I bet Mike's on to something with the power supply. The big system I work on all the time has HUGE and new power ones and the tuning on the oscillators, both 258 and 259, is very stable.

Mark
Funky40

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mono-poly wrote:
bubblechamber wrote:
speaking of ua726... anyone ever tried them from HSS? any other sources? i've been looking for a while and i've come up empty

HSS is fake.
Soundukdave on ebay is ok.

how about goodbuy711, is this another nick for HKK ?
i can't find soundukdave ........

I'm also very interested in the Buchla VCO clone.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
how about goodbuy711, is this another nick for HKK ?

yes.

Peake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"back to vintage PSUs..."

Obviously I'll start a new thread in which to post the artwork (and THEN people can again go for whatever tangent amuses them).

"I for one do not think the uA726 has anything to do with the sound. I bet Mike's on to something with the power supply. The big system I work on all the time has HUGE and new power ones and the tuning on the oscillators, both 258 and 259, is very stable."

I don't know. It sounds like each oscillator is moving a particular amount, independently (not holding their own pitch well enough to maintain a solid pitch relationship to each other, with the PS moving all around equally).
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Funky40 wrote:
mono-poly wrote:
bubblechamber wrote:
speaking of ua726... anyone ever tried them from HSS? any other sources? i've been looking for a while and i've come up empty

HSS is fake.
Soundukdave on ebay is ok.

i can't find soundukdave ........

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/soundukdave_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ
verbos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
"back to vintage PSUs..."
I don't know. It sounds like each oscillator is moving a particular amount, independently (not holding their own pitch well enough to maintain a solid pitch relationship to each other, with the PS moving all around equally).

true. However, I'd bet that power supply drift does not manifest itself as exponential detuning. That is, the oscillators that are tuned to each other won't all drift the same amount. The detune amount will change, perhaps like linear detune. Changing the beat rate. No?

Mark
Peake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Later today I'll edit this post and attach a soundbite of just the bassline. We can listen and decide for ourselves.

BTW, how drifty are your "C" clones on simple-answer using the SSM? I know that there is much more involved in drift than just the expo converter plus tempco...
verbos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Peake wrote:
Later today I'll edit this post and attach a soundbite of just the bassline. We can listen and decide for ourselves.

BTW, how drifty are your "C" clones on simple-answer using the SSM? I know that there is much more involved in drift than just the expo converter plus tempco...

I've never put it side by side with the real deal. It seems stable, however I don't suggest building them as the CA3080 makes the triangle too asymmetrical. They're obsolete now anyway....

Mark
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, there is the chance that the first soundbite is at 48KHz. This one is correct. Just a sketch of the intended ending. Note that the oscillators in the bass are indeed not too badly beating -randomly-, but are definitely gaining beef from mistracking.

http://share.ovi.com/media/Peake.public/Peake.10006
norman phay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice, as before. Timbrally, I liked the 1/4 note echoed "doinks" at the beginning with the little high resonance that changes slightly from note to note best.
Luka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i was just doing some searching around the the ua726. seems as tho HKSS is the one and only ebay option at the moment. i found some SDIY comments that confirmed that the HKSS ua726 chips were in good working order and then i found this damning page

http://home.freeuk.net/bandpass/hkss.htm

extreme bad rep points for HKSS :S

the next best option was 5 chips for US$150 from some random seller on a website when i googled ua726 NOS.

i think ill avoid designs using this part now, too much hassle, unless someone can point me in a cheaper more trustworthy direction

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've sourced all of the rare parts for my 258bs, excepting the 726, and found great prices at none of the usual sources, far better than anything on ebay. I still hear of great deals on ebay, but the Buchla parts don't seem to be among them. Check the prices I've listed in the other thread, original post, for reference.

Modding this artwork for the SSM2210 etc. should be easy. I'm sure that any of us could do it. Remember, a clone of the "c" is also apparently on the way, and IIRC it will not use the 726, if you wish to go that route.
Luka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks peake

i really look forward to this

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Peake

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've updated the original post in the 258 clone project thread to offer options to the uA726, recommending the THAT 300 quad NPN IC ($4.60 each, available singly; one of them completes the expo converters for -both- oscillators, versus needing two SSM or LM at more than $5 each.).

I don't know where to put a tempco in the original design, however, so I'll leave that, as well as the possibility of 1V/Octave response, to other people to post, or not...if you use a polycarbonate/polystyrene timing capacitor as in the original, it's not a very unstable design like the Moog 901b, even less so if you use a modern power supply. I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on that subject later on...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [49 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: