electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Backline Engineering FX Tracker
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
GovernorSilver

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Backline Engineering FX Tracker
Subject description: This box converts playing speed and volume to MIDI
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My bandmate is the band's main songwriter. We like her songs but incorporating any sequenced material such as drum parts or bass lines has been a challenge because even though we are NOT a blues band, she plays her songs like an old-school blues musician (think John Lee Hooker, T-Model Ford, etc.) - she changes up the lengths of verses and choruses and tempi depending on mood. So if I programmed a 120 bpm bass line and she decides to play at 118 bpm or 123 bpm, we sound messy until I hit the tap tempo button to try to match her.

FX Tracker looks like a neat box to try to solve this problem, at least until we find a bass player willing to be a part of this band. It generates MIDI messages based on how fast your are playing and how loud:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

http://www.backline-eng.com/FX-Tracker.html

Even if it doesn't work, ultimately, as a solution for the band, I'd probably use it on my own instruments, like varying the tremolo rate on my VG-99 patch by the loudness of my picking. Still, I'm sure she'll get a kick out of her guitar running through this box to control sequencer tempo.

Some old stuff on VIRB
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats an interesting looking device.

I like:

17 effects that output MIDI CC messages as waveforms, envelopes or arpeggio patterns based on your playing speed or pick attack to control other effect units or synth modules.

Andy
miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it´s a very interesting thing. I like their specs/features of their RiffBox as well, some very cool stuff in there.

I nearly once where about to order a FX tracker (and RiffBox), but decided to try to take my G2 engine as long as I can get down this road. It sure makes you thinking about how to try to patch it up...

The step from here to "clone" a Lexicon Vortex shouldn´t be too big. That is, when time exists (I love my kids, but sometimes I´d really like to have a week or two for doing some patching/experimenting)...

/Mike
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

miketheman wrote:

I nearly once where about to order a FX tracker (and RiffBox), but decided to try to take my G2 engine as long as I can get down this road. It sure makes you thinking about how to try to patch it up...

I have a G2X myself. It doesn't have enough memory, even with the expansion, to be much of a looper (max 2 sec. recording time).

However, I'd be very interested in an intelligent tempo tracker patch!

Some old stuff on VIRB
miketheman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I know. Didn´t mean about the RiffBox. Just a FX tracker "clone".

I´ll let my echoplex take care of looping. However, I haven´t thought about doing RiffBox like "presets" in my G2. Now that would be a delicate challenge in patching, a lot of logic thinking to take care of all the counting I guess.

/Mike
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

miketheman wrote:
Just a FX tracker "clone".

Yes, this is what interests me!

Some old stuff on VIRB
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GovernorSilver wrote:

I have a G2X myself. It doesn't have enough memory, even with the expansion, to be much of a looper (max 2 sec. recording time).

Not that it makes it a whole lot better, but you can chain delays across slots on a G2X to make up a 10 second loop (the delay maxes out at a bit more than 2 seconds, doesn't it?). You might need to use one pair of external inputs & outputs somewhere along the line though.

/Stefan

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
(the delay maxes out at a bit more than 2 seconds, doesn't it?)

(2.7)

And on the G2X you could have eight of 'm max, but likely less if one of the patches needs to do something else.

Then there are some tricks to play with it like multiplexing ... there are some example patches around for this in the G2 section here ... but that will loose some quality and its tricky programming.

GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Not that it makes it a whole lot better, but you can chain delays across slots on a G2X to make up a 10 second loop (the delay maxes out at a bit more than 2 seconds, doesn't it?). You might need to use one pair of external inputs & outputs somewhere along the line though.

/Stefan

I have an EDP looper too, actually, but I'll probably end up using one of the Reaktor looper ensembles and/or Ableton Live for looping.

Still, your post reminds me of the unexplored potential of my G2X. The delay chaining idea has some coolness potential indeed. Thanks! Thank you too, Jan.

Some old stuff on VIRB
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Strings and things
Jump to: