electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Noise Generator Design - Feedback and or help/advice
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
metal_head_82

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Noise Generator Design - Feedback and or help/advice Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey folks!

I'm currently designing a noise generator for my drum/percussion synth project.
I got a little circuit here and I'd like to hear what you think about it.

The frequencies it produces and the schematic are attached.

It's built from two transistors (build like an darlington pair) which produce some noise. They are connected to two gain stages, made of a TL072 OpAmp.

My current thoughts are, to exchange the first gain stage with another pair of transistors which will hopefully result in lots of gain and noise Wink
I could use one of the OpAmps to amplify the noise and the second to build a simple active LPF with POT to adjust the "color".

What do you guys think about that?
Please be kind... I'm new to all that electronic and DIY synth stuff. But any feedback or advice is highly appreciated.

(hopefully I did the schematic right... tried to draw it from breadboard Wink )

noise_freq.jpg
 Description:
The frequency range of my noisegen (measured)
 Filesize:  15.85 KB
 Viewed:  5022 Time(s)

noise_freq.jpg

noise_gen_1-2.gif
 Description:
The (hopefully correct) schematic of my noisegen
 Filesize:  10.68 KB
 Viewed:  391 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

noise_gen_1-2.gif

metal_head_82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello again!

The design is nearly completed.
I simplified things and now I use one single OPamp and a single transistor.
Makes a lot more sense Wink And now it puts out real white noise Smile

The schematic will follow as soon as I get hold of another problem:

I have a VCO in the circuit. But it bleeds into the noise. I sounds like there's a hipassed version of thenVCO output inside the noise. The sound is gone as soon as I disconnect the Pitch Pot from the VCO. Now I'm pretty stuck here.

Is there a way to stop the vco bleeding into the noise? I read something about decoupling and virtual ground on the web BUT I'm not quite sure how to get THAT into my circuit.

I have to say again that I'm new to all this... Could someone please point me into the right direction?

Thanks guys...

Rykhaard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

metal_head_82 wrote:

I have a VCO in the circuit. But it bleeds into the noise. I sounds like there's a hipassed version of thenVCO output inside the noise. The sound is gone as soon as I disconnect the Pitch Pot from the VCO. Now I'm pretty stuck here.

Is there a way to stop the vco bleeding into the noise? I read something about decoupling and virtual ground on the web BUT I'm not quite sure how to get THAT into my circuit.

I have to say again that I'm new to all this... Could someone please point me into the right direction?

Thanks guys...

A possible solution to the bleeding within the circuit, could possibly be due to each portion of the circuit wishing to have any available current for it's portion, immediately. With a few things happening at once, this could present an availability problem for the 'hydro company" where - they're no able to provide, that much current to everyone, at the same time; hence, the bleeding.

2 solutions for it would be:

- adding a 'buffer' capacitor so the entire circuit board itself, right where the power is coming in from the "hydro company" / battery / etc.
When there aren't too many components on the board, a capacitor between the values of 1 to 10uF would be fine. (And be sure to place the capacitor correctly, as to it's polarity:
For a +V buffer - the positive side of the capacitor to it and the other side of the cap. to Ground.
For a -V buffer - the negative side of the cap, to it and the other side of the cap. to Ground.

- Next, each chip should have a 'buffer' as well. Almost every time, a 0.1uF cap, as close to the power pin of the chip as possible, will be fine. Any cap really, from 0.01 to 0.1uF will be fine for this. (And yes - if it's a bipolar chip, a separate small cap., for each of that chip's power input pins.)

The bleeding problem I first knowing experienced in about 1991 / 1992, when I had my first LFO and Attack / Release enevelope generator, built, running and bleeding all over the place. A very good online electronics friend at that time, suggested adding a buffer cap to each of the circuit boards and at that time - away my bleeding problems went. Smile

Keep up the good work! There're many helpful people here at EM. I've learned a heck of a lot more since I had first joined, the few years ago. Smile

Welcome to electro-music! Very Happy
kkissinger

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

metal_head_82 wrote:
I have a VCO in the circuit. But it bleeds into the noise. I sounds like there's a hipassed version of then VCO output inside the noise. The sound is gone as soon as I disconnect the Pitch Pot from the VCO.

Without viewing your schematic, I will presume that your pitch pot supplies a DC voltage to the VCO's input CV buss.

When you disconnect the pot, your are removing voltage from the buss that will change the frequency of your VCO. If the VCO's frequency becomes low it may still bleed to your noise circuit but will be inaudible.

I have read (though have never done it myself) that it may be advantageous to clip the base lead from the noise transistor at the transistor's case. Apparently, the base's lead can act as an antenna and pick up unwanted signals and impart them to the noise circuit.

Also, as already mentioned, you should include individual decoupling capacitors on your chips and across the circuit board.

metal_head_82

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the answers! thanks

But if I get the whole thing right I need a dual supply, right?
I'm currently using a 9V battery. Because I want this little thing for mobile use.

I will try to use a voltage divider and an OPamp to build a virtual ground. And then try buffering the ICs. If I'd do this now the ICs won't work.

So please tell me if I'm right with this... Dual supply + Buffering = Success???

Thanks

metal_head_82

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made something up myself Smile

I simply use an OPamp to buffer the supply voltage. I just use the remaining amp of the TL072 which amplifies the noise to feed the VCO.
Maybe it's not THAT ULTIMATE solution but at least it works - and until now without problems Wink

Or do I have to be careful with such misuse of my OPamps???
What do you guys think about that?

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: