electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Does anyone has been able to fix an USB damaged board?
Page 1 of 4 [76 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Rokatansky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject:  Does anyone has been able to fix an USB damaged board? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

I wonder if anyone has been able to repair a damaged USB board?
I send an email to encore electronics and they told me that it might be fixed but they will need to check on it first.

I´m still waiting for Clavia info about a new main board for my G2 but i´m afraid about they will run out of stock.

Any comments about this?

Regards
gomidas

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
Took me some time to find someone to do it, but finally yes, I do have my two g2 engines usb repaired.
I did order two new mainboards from the shop, they gave me the price(450€ each) so I paid 1000€ for the two units and everything was ok until...they call me back to tell me they were no mainboards left... But the guy told me the other repair shop will try to do the repair... And they did it, also my patches are still inside the box, so I guess they didn't change the mainboard.finally the shop gave me back 500€ greeeeeaaaaat!!!
So the good news for you is YES SOMEONE IN THIS WORLD CAN REPAIR YOUR G2 USB.
good luck.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
Took me some time to find someone to do it, but finally yes, I do have my two g2 engines usb repaired.

Good to see you got it working again!

Would be great if we could get some info together here as to what the actual problem is and how to fix it.

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is awesome news.

It is a shame it cost so much but at least you now have two working machines. I bet your over the moon. Smile

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
Hi,
I did order two new mainboards from the shop, they gave me the price(450€ each) so I paid 1000€ for the two units and everything was ok until...they call me back to tell me they were no mainboards left... But the guy told me the other repair shop will try to do the repair... And they did it, also my patches are still inside the box, so I guess they didn't change the mainboard.finally the shop gave me back 500€ greeeeeaaaaat!!!
So the good news for you is YES SOMEONE IN THIS WORLD CAN REPAIR YOUR G2 USB.
good luck.

Wow- that's great. Can you tell us what they replaced?
Was it the USB phy chip or the flash rom(s)??
I wonder if it was just the motherboard USB connectors. Sometimes they are flaky on laptops.

gomidas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry guys, I have been away because of f¨*%£% work....

YEAH, that's a GREAT news, my G2 engines are simply BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!
I am still shocked Shocked
I am also very scared to plug the USB into anything, it's a big paranoia....
What I must do first is to assign midi cc# to all my patchs in case my usb die again! (then i could nicely control my G2 without editor)

As I said earlier, my patchs were still inside the box, so I guess they didn't change the board entirely. I must open the G2 to see what they have done inside, but you must understand my G2 are already hard at work & shakin' the house.
I will take some time to look at the board and send some pics as soon as possible.

Man, it's so good to have the editor in front of my face again, I hope it's going to stay like that forever.

PS:sadly 1.6 editor is unusable on mac(patch corrupt),... so I use 1.6 (I will see if I get corrupted patch...) on a ugly PC Embarassed , maybe I will buy a dedicated eeepc to run NM classic and NM G2 editors on win, CLAVIA+MAC=unstable...

iPassenger wrote:
This is awesome news.

It is a shame it cost so much but at least you now have two working machines. I bet your over the moon. Smile

I am Wink

Thanks everybody for your kind words ! See U guys !

Last edited by gomidas on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
cappy2112

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:
I must open the G2 to see what they have done inside, but you must understand my G2 are already hard at work & shakin' the house.

Unless you took pictures of the inside of the G2 before repair, it is unlikely you will notice any difference after the repair. Replacing a chip or other components can be done without leaving a trace (no pun intended), if the tech is good.

gomidas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
gomidas wrote:
I must open the G2 to see what they have done inside, but you must understand my G2 are already hard at work & shakin' the house.

Unless you took pictures of the inside of the G2 before repair, it is unlikely you will notice any difference after the repair. Replacing a chip or other components can be done without leaving a trace (no pun intended), if the tech is good.

I took some, I'll try to find them.... THANKS
jamos

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 41

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why don't you just ask the tech?
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my G2 lost USB contact with its Editor last Sunday. Just disassembled the synth and soldered out the USB type B connector. The only hope connector reparation make it work
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's seemed to me, I need the service manual for G2. Can I download it?
Rokatansky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well i got it working!

I took my G2 to an expert local technician who fix the USB in two days and charged me 50 bucks instead the 800 dollars (plus shipping cost) that Clavia ask for the board replacement.

Now i finally upgraded to 1.60 (was stuck on 1.40) and everything works like a charm,no more patch-midi conversion stuff and demo editor.

Cheers
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great!
gomidas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

COOOOOL Very Happy

PS: editor 1.60 can be buggy on mac and corrupt some patch, if it happen to you, try using editor 1.4.

PS#2: do some midi assignement of the most used modules like : VOLUME AMP, FILTER FREQ/RES ect..

Have fun with your working editor Wink
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Would Like to Know More Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! That is fantastic news! Congratulations!

In your case, it seems that it must have been a relatively simple repair. Do you know exactly what was done to get your G2 USB working again? I have been concerned about the reports of G2 USB failures and would like to learn more about these failures and how they could be prevented, or at least repaired.

data-purge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello!

on russian forum, dedicated to electronic instruments, one guy talks about this circuitboard. he says that it is common ISP1181BDGG usb controller, and it is not so imposible to change broken one with working usb controller circuitboard

ISP1181BDGG at google

original message in russian
gomidas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

data-purge wrote:
hello!

on russian forum, dedicated to electronic instruments, one guy talks about this circuitboard. he says that it is common ISP1181BDGG usb controller, and it is not so imposible to change broken one with working usb controller circuitboard

ISP1181BDGG at google

original message in russian

Nice info!!

Thanks Dat'
Rokatansky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the tips Gomidas!

In my case the technician explain me that there were some lines damaged from the triple layer circuit board.
We believe that when previous owner changed the USB port he broke the lines and didn´t know how to proper fix them.
GovernorSilver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gomidas wrote:

I am also very scared to plug the USB into anything, it's a big paranoia....
What I must do first is to assign midi cc# to all my patchs in case my usb die again! (then i could nicely control my G2 without editor)

I'll have to do something similar for all the patches I'll want to keep - those that don't have parameters assigned to the matrix knobs onboard the G2X. I met up with an old friend who bought my first G2 keyboard and he said its USB stopped working for him too.

Some old stuff on VIRB
voltage control

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello there

I have been following this forum for quite a while and it is time now I submit something myself.
My G2 engine developed the notorious USB failure some 2 years ago. The engine was soon replaced with the (expanded) keyboard version and disappeared into a drawer.
Having had an eye on this lead about the USB problem, I recently decided to take the plunge and order a new ISP1181BDGG to try to revive the old engine.

I ended up cutting through the pins on the old chip with a sharp knife, near the body of the IC, where the pins are off the board. The remaining pin ends I removed from the board by gently rubbing them off with the soldering iron. A couple of leads came off the board but on close examination they fortunately turned out to be dead end leads (which tend to come off quite easily since there is no trace for them to hold on to).

After soldering in the new chip the USB was still down. After re-touching the leads, adding a bit more solder... YES! the engine came up on my pc again. Everything is working as it should.

The ISP1181BDGG is located near the USB port on the main board and is indicated as U24.
The chip can be ordered at: WWW.UTSOURCE.NET

Interesting instructions on surface mount soldering can be viewed at: http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/Surface_Mount_Soldering/101

Good luck and thanks for all the inspiring posts on this forum.
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool brilliant, thanks for posting that!
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's great news, thank for posting that, voltage control!
Can you, please, add more details, more tips and soldering tricks, how did it so close to socket?
voltage control

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I pretty much followed the instructions given on the curious inventor website: Use an abundance of flux and the solder will flow and stick to the metal parts quite naturally. Apply solder to the iron and then put the iron on the leads. Tack corner pins first. I used a 35 watts grounded soldering iron (Weller WP 35) . Sharpened the tip into the shape of a regular flat head screwdriver. Apply some flux to tip to make the solder stick better. With a regular iron like that you'll end up covering a couple of pins at a time, but if you dose the amount of solder well it will flow where it belongs and not create bridges between pins. Some bridges did form at one point and solder wick took care of that. Indeed the socket was in the way and it suffered a bit, but the iron does fit. It can be done!
voltage control

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And another important thing is: After soldering in the new IC, take a toothpick or a sharp item like a fine screwdriver and carefully scrape and pick away any dirt between the pins, in order to give yourself a clear view of the solder joints. Before powering up the machine, you want to make sure that there are no shorts between pins because that could cause a lot of damage. Magnifying glasses might come in handy here. If unsure, use a multi meter to measure resistance between pins.
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have a photo of the place under the chip (after chip was removed and leads cleaned) occasionally? Isn't it nice to have a look what leads true or false before iron get warm...
Page 1 of 4 [76 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: