electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Synthasystem
WELCOME!
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dingebre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: WELCOME! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the Synthasystem forum. The purpose is to keep you informed of developing modules, discuss building the modules, and help troubleshoot problems.

The Synthasystem was a modular synthesizer designed in the 70s by Nyle Steiner and Dick Parker.

I have the rare privilege of having known Nyle back then, working for him a summer stuffing PCBs, and now resurrecting Nyle's designs in all their original glory. Nyle is still a friend and as creative and unique as ever. He is intimately involved with this project and you will see his hand in this re-release.

Maybe even a new design or two!

I hope you enjoy this project as much a I am.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
http://www.xmission.com/~dingebre/Synthasystem.html
TekniK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great Very Happy
dingebre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Planned modules Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am planning on re-releasing all the original Synthasystem modules. This includes:
1. VCO A (VCO B and C were scaled back versions of the A. I might do a C version, one waveform, square wave as it might be useful as a simple LFO, etc.)
2. Triple Envelope Generator
3. VCA/Mixer
4. VCF
5. Voltage Sequencer
6. Frequency Divider
7. Peak Selector
8. Balanced (Ring) Modulator
9. Phase Shifter
10. Input Amplifier
11. Keyboard - Duophonic and Multiphonic types
12. Noise Generator
13. Sample and Hold
14. Selective Inverter
15. Voltage Follower (Slew Rate Limiter or Portamento)
16. Voltage Processor (a mixer of sorts)
17. Tuner/Monitor
18. Voltage Controlled Trigger Generator

Not Steiner original, but needed utility modules:
19. Trigger Converter (Converts back and forth between S-Triggers and Voltage Triggers)
20. Power Regulation/Conditioning to provide +12 and -10 from either +/-12 or +/-15 volt main supplies.
21. Transistor Matching PCB. Fun little PCB to make building the transistor matching circuit easier.
22. Euro panel to fit a Schroff rack backplane to hold a PowerOne power supply, switch, fuse, and distribution boards.

Modules I don't think were ever released and may or may not see the light of day.

23. Variable damped EG
24. Up/down sequencer

Future projects which may or may not see the light of day.

25. Microcon PCB (It needs a Vactrol. Still available at Allied, but who knows for how long now).
26. Synthacon clone (big project way down the road if ever).

Please watch here, my blog, and website for news and other information:

http://analoguerealities.blogspot.com/

Thanks for looking.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
donpachi

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What a coincidence. I've been looking for information on Steiner circuits since yesterday, and this morning this thread pops up on Google. The Microcon woke my special interest as it is a small project and could be quite useful in many contexts. Even if it is only due to be released as one of your projects in the very long run, I might be able to help a little. I'll post information as soon as I have gathered something useful. Btw, great sub-forum and a fantastic project site!
Cheers,
Till
dingebre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

donpachi wrote:
What a coincidence. I've been looking for information on Steiner circuits since yesterday, and this morning this thread pops up on Google. The Microcon woke my special interest as it is a small project and could be quite useful in many contexts. Even if it is only due to be released as one of your projects in the very long run, I might be able to help a little. I'll post information as soon as I have gathered something useful. Btw, great sub-forum and a fantastic project site!
Cheers,
Till

Nice to have you around! Please check the web site, etc. often. I expect to be offering pre-orders very soon.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's great. i've been looking at ebay for steiner gear in the past years, however i never could make up my mind to buy one.
your project is very tempting...

Luka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very exciting
http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
Dego

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great project Smile
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's amazing to see Nyles Steiner back in the swim!
dingebre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
It's amazing to see Nyles Steiner back in the swim!

It's tons of fun. He is as unique, quietly brilliant, humble and as much a genius as ever.

I've had a blast catching up with him these past couple of months.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
TekniK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dave,do you plan to offer front panels aswell?
dingebre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TekniK wrote:
Dave,do you plan to offer front panels aswell?

I'm designing Euro panels that can work for Frac, too. I'm putting .fpd and .pdf versions on the web site. Profit margins on panels are pretty slim however. I'm not sure if I'll offer the actual panels. I love Schaffer but they are pretty expensive for a lot of people. I'm still considering it though.

dingebre@3dphysics.net
kjackman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We met at the SLAMM meetup last Saturday. I want to put together a DIY modular with my two boys, so I'm gathering up all the tools I'll need, as well as power supplies, etc. I was thinking about starting out with the MFOS stuff since it's so simple, but on the other hand, the Synthasystem is great, the prototypes you showed off at the meetup sounded absolutely superb, and man, you're practically next door! Surprised

For various reasons, though, I want to build things in a 5U MU rig (Synthesizers.com format). So I guess I'd have to figure out how to adapt this for +/-15v. I'd do all my own panels, of course.

-edit- Oh, I see you're thinking of designing something to handle the +/-15v conversion, excellent! -edit-

Can I save on shipping by purchasing PCBs from you directly and just stopping by to pick them up?
dingebre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kjackman wrote:
We met at the SLAMM meetup last Saturday. I want to put together a DIY modular with my two boys, so I'm gathering up all the tools I'll need, as well as power supplies, etc. I was thinking about starting out with the MFOS stuff since it's so simple, but on the other hand, the Synthasystem is great, the prototypes you showed off at the meetup sounded absolutely superb, and man, you're practically next door! Surprised

For various reasons, though, I want to build things in a 5U MU rig (Synthesizers.com format). So I guess I'd have to figure out how to adapt this for +/-15v. I'd do all my own panels, of course.

Can I save on shipping by purchasing PCBs from you directly and just stopping by to pick them up?

+/- 15 is no problem. I provide for voltage regulators on the PCBs to get the +12 and -10 volts needed. The PCBs are designed to fit in a shallow Euro or Frac system, without locking you into a specific panel design, so they should be fine behind a 5U system.

You could pick them up at my office on Ft. Union Blvd. if it's closer or my home. That would be great and would eliminate shipping/handling.

Send me an email, and we can follow up.

dingebre@3dphysics.net
haima

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool! Very Happy
dariusjedburgh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Welcome
Subject description: Thankyou!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just want to say many thanks for this project!

I am the lucky owner of a dual-case Synthasystem, originally used at a SLC college. When I acquired it few years ago some few modules needed repair (thanks to Nyle at the time for providing schematics!).

However a few modules had clearly been hacked by the students - Front panels & controls are present but no PCB's. My own project to clone boards never got beyond the planning stage and I am very happy to see the resurection of this seemingly rare instrument (does Nyle recall how many were made?).

A picture of my unit http://www.lazyblueoctopus.com/html/studiodec03_3.html
Previous owner posted a pic here
http://www.synthmuseum.com/stp/stpmodule02.jpg

Wishing good luck to all the DIYers taking this on!

My PCB order is on the way...
thnx, Martin
dingebre

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome
Subject description: Thankyou!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dariusjedburgh wrote:
I just want to say many thanks for this project!

I am the lucky owner of a dual-case Synthasystem, originally used at a SLC college. When I acquired it few years ago some few modules needed repair (thanks to Nyle at the time for providing schematics!).

However a few modules had clearly been hacked by the students - Front panels & controls are present but no PCB's. My own project to clone boards never got beyond the planning stage and I am very happy to see the resurection of this seemingly rare instrument (does Nyle recall how many were made?).

A picture of my unit http://www.lazyblueoctopus.com/html/studiodec03_3.html
Previous owner posted a pic here
http://www.synthmuseum.com/stp/stpmodule02.jpg

Wishing good luck to all the DIYers taking this on!

My PCB order is on the way...
thnx, Martin

Thanks for sharing Martin. In conversations I've had wih Nyle in ths course of this project, he doesn't remember how many systems were sold. Nyle has been a serious part of this project, thankfully.

I'll watch for your order, thank you.

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Synthasystem
Jump to: