electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
ChipTune music box
Page 2 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
SC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ChipTune music box
Subject description: simple chip tune generator
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synaesthesia wrote:
The CHIPTUNE circuit plays a small tune that repeats endlessly. The tune is surprisingly long and generates harmonic tones in interesting self-similar sequences. After a while you will start to follow the melody of the tune.
:::::
The generated melodies can be varied a bit by connecting Q1 to Q3 from the shift register to inputs A,B,C of U4 in different permutations.
Permutation Q3->A, Q2->B, Q1->C is used in the schematic. My favorite is Q2-A,Q3->B,Q1->C. I attached a recording for both tunes for your listening pleasure.

Thank you very much for posting this circuit. Even though I am relatively new to electronics, I was able to put this circuit together in about an hour on a breadboard. It worked the first time time I plugged it in. Yay !!! It sounds great. (^_^)
SC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Super ChipTune
Subject description: A Thank-you note.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have completed both Super ChipTune (with the 4053) and Super ChipTune 2 (with the 4052) on the breadboard. Both of them are really nice. There are a couple of places where Super ChipTune seems to hang a little, but I guess that is a part of the pattern. The Super ChipTune 2 circuit plays all the way through without 'hanging' at any one place. Very nice.

Both of these circuits have very nice schematics, which were very easy for me to breadboard. I have had so much fun building ChipTune, and both of the Super ChipTune circuits. I am looking forward to trying more of these Chip Tune Music Box circuits. These circuits are a wonderful introduction to Lunetta. Thanks !!!

(^_^)
synaesthesia

Audio files: 85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your nice feedback, SC! This is great motivation for me to continue sharing my circuits. I have no immediate explanation for the hangs you observed. I guess these are simply part of the melody that is generated by stepping through the divisions determined by the selected feedback term.

Just realized that I never posted the table of possible dividers that you can get with the core circuit with a 4051 and half of a 4015. Read the inputs X1 to X6 as a binary number, with X6 being the least significant bit. Look for that number in the fields with grey background and find the divider to the right of it. X0 must always be high and X7 must always be low to avoid any hangs. Any three out of the four outputs of the 4015 may be used, the results will only differ in the phase of the wave form. In the schematic there is also a list of simple input terms that use only four of the six possible inputs.

Chiptune Dividers.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.26 KB
 Viewed:  613 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Chiptune Dividers.PNG

Chiptune Core.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.79 KB
 Viewed:  620 Time(s)

Chiptune Core.PNG

SC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if "hanging" is the right term to use? There are a couple of places where it repeats the same small pattern for a longer time than usual. The first word that came into my head when it happened was "it's hanging here", so I use that word. Once I let it go, I noticed that it does the same thing in the same place every time around, so really it is a part of the pattern for that patch.

Thank you for posting the information about the ChipTune Core. I am currently studying it.

I have put together the Random ChipTune circuit on a breadboard since then, as well as the ChipTune 2 circuit after that. The Random ChipTune circuit uses both of the 4015's 4-stage serial-input / parallel-output shift registers, as does the ChipTune 2. I made some minor fixes to the ChipTune 2 schematic before I started to build it. These fixes reflect pin and chip numbering, so it would be easier for me to wire the circuit on the breadboard. I am a beginner, so I may have made some errors? However, the circuit is now working beautifully on the breadboards !!! Once again, Thank You very much for posting these circuits. I am having SO much fun with them !!!

chiptune2fix.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.33 KB
 Viewed:  654 Time(s)

chiptune2fix.png

synaesthesia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops, seems that I forgot to run the annotation in KiCAD before capturing the circuit image. That explains why the pin numbers were missing.
Regarding the hangs, you are right that some patterns may repeat for a while depending on the connections to the 4051.
However, it could also happen if the reset signal for the counter is not connected to ground, so you should check that.
SC

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: ChipTune Symphony Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just finished putting together the ChipTune Symphony circuit on breadboards, and it is the best one yet !!! The schematic you published is beautiful and easy to follow. Thank You !!!
SC

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Opus 4015 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have put together another wonderful CHIPTUNE MUSIC BOX circuit, the Opus 4015. I also built the Sonata 4015 amplifier for it. It works great. Many thanks to synaesthesia for yet another fantastic schematic. It was easy to read, and a pleasure to use. I am currently enjoying some smooth Opus 4015 chiptunes, even as I type. I drew a breadboard wiring diagram for the amplifier/speaker, and I have attached it to this post. The parts are spread out for clarity. I placed them much closer together when I built it. (^_^)

sonata4015-amp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.62 KB
 Viewed:  1026 Time(s)

sonata4015-amp.png

Last edited by SC on Thu May 21, 2015 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SC

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: chiptune circuits Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finished putting together the Sonata 4015 and the Opus 4053. Both of these are fun circuits to make and listen to. I have really enjoyed making these ChipTune Music Box circuits. One thing that made them so much fun was the wonderful schematics by synaesthesia. Thank you very much !!! ~SC
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback. I will keep posting more of these fun circuits. Right now I put myself a bit under pressure trying to complete several new things at once. There will be more soon.
SC

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do hope that you will post some more ChipTune circuits. They are really fun.
Yeah, so I was pfaffing about in Kolourpaint, and made this diagram which
contains all the CMOS chips that are on a ChipTune Music Box, so far (I think).
(^_^)
SC

ctmb-bb-diagram.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.39 KB
 Viewed:  506 Time(s)

ctmb-bb-diagram.png

synaesthesia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is one more chiptune circuit, this time using a 4052 instead of the 4051 to implement a shorter function table with just two variables. When using the Q1 and Q3 outputs of a 4015 to select from a four value function table and feeding the result back into the shift register, you get a variable divider by 4, 6, or 8, depending on the two inputs Y1 and Y2 of the 4052. Y0 must be Vdd and Y3 must be ground for the divider to work.

Now feed the two inputs Y1 and Y2 from two outputs of a 4520 counter and you have a base melody already at the Y output of the 4052. To make it a bit more interesting, I added a second voice. For that I feed the two unused outputs from the shift register and the two unused outputs from the counter to the other four X inputs of the 4052. Mix both, the X and Y outputs, with two resistors and you have a two voice melody that includes a bit of random variation.

You can change input A to the 4052 from Q1 to Q0 or Q2 of the 4015 to vary the scale. Also, try to swap the inputs to the 4052 around to change the melody, just keep Y0 at Vdd and Y3 at ground for the divider to work.

Opus4052.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30 KB
 Viewed:  581 Time(s)

Opus4052.PNG

Opus4052.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Opus4052.mp3
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Downloaded:  886 Time(s)

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like these circuits a lot, but the downside is that the only produce a limited melody. I wonder if there
is a way to incorporate some DIP switches, probably controlling muxes, to set different patterns.
Maybe add a digital counter somewhere that uses a prime number for some more variation.
hmm a VCO for the pitch oscillator might be interesting too (controlled by the circuit itself). Anyway keep it up! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
On Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:00 am synaesthesia wrote:
You can change input A to the 4052 from Q1 to Q0 or Q2 of the 4015 to vary the scale. Also, try to swap the inputs to the 4052 around to change the melody, just keep Y0 at Vdd and Y3 at ground for the divider to work.

Thank you very much for posting this circuit. Your patch schematic is very easy to follow. I put this together on my ChipTune Music Box breadboard, and hooked the output up to a Ruby Amp by RunOffGroove attached to a 4 inch 8 Ohm speaker that I found at the Thrift store. These circuits are so much fun !!! I love them. ~SC
synaesthesia

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is the original simple chiptune circuit, but run through the Moduletta VCA plus a PT2399 delay. Wow, what a difference that makes.

Moduletta Chiptune+Delay.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Moduletta Chiptune+Delay.mp3
 Filesize:  2.47 MB
 Downloaded:  744 Time(s)

Page 2 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: