electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Coupling dual 556 osc. to 4070 XOR circuit
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Dr. K

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Coupling dual 556 osc. to 4070 XOR circuit Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I ordered some XOR chips, to start messing with some different and more complicated circuits.

My plan was to make a dual oscillator from a 556 to drive the 4070 chain (in the image). Then, I thought, why not couple the 556 to a simple alternating LED flasher circuit. I could couple the LEDs to the 556s by placing a LDR with the rate pots.

It just dawned on me a moment ago, I could also just mount the LEDs on the interface, to show the rate, and use the voltage to drive the CV inputs on the 556 directly.

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to come up with ideas, while I wait for my order of new parts to come in. I thought it would be fun to couple the 556 to a master 555, which then could be coupled to a sequencer. I'm planning to bread board the XOR circuit before commiting to anything. I was just curious if any veterans had any interesting thoughts about how to drive the XOR chain. For maximum mayhem Smile

XOR with 556 input.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.38 KB
 Viewed:  284 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

XOR with 556 input.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe add some shiftregisters which can also be driven by a couple of oscillators.
Could probably use outputs of the XOR chain to connect to the data inputs of the shiftregistes.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr. K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Maybe add some shiftregisters which can also be driven by a couple of oscillators.
Could probably use outputs of the XOR chain to connect to the data inputs of the shiftregistes.

I just bread-boarded the circuit and have been monkeying around using whatever I have as inputs--a cheezy good will keyboard, my APC,....

Tomorrow when I get some sleep, I want to start tinkering around with using the LDRs to modulate the sound--with that alternate flashing LED circuit. I want to money around with it, and see what kind of organic sounds I can get--couping the flashing LED with the oscillators.... I just got my Jameco order. new bread board, a bunch of chips, caps, etc. That should keep me busy for a little while! I can ask the question--or I can just bread board it and see what happens. so far it's interesting.

I'm just trying to figure out how to couple devices into my sequencer. I'm a complete newb with synth building. I reallyl have no clue. I build a mean ukulele. I play an ok guitar. But electronic music is a new deal for me.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: