electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
New to Lunetta with some questions
Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Steveg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a thought ... those bolts are insulated from the panel aren't they?
dadinfinitum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steveg wrote:
Just a thought ... those bolts are insulated from the panel aren't they?

The panels are plastic (3D printed). I don't believe there's a problem. Please let me know if I've missed something obvious.
Steveg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, all good!

I just missed where you said they were 3d printed when I re-read it.
dadinfinitum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm finishing up a simple 40106 osc bank, and have some plans for future pieces, but I have some general questions (I do feel like I've absorbed a good bit).

1) Reading this great post, is using a current limiting resistor always a good idea on an output?

2) I learned on my own (before reading about it, hah) when a good use for a pulldown resistor would be - I had a switch for controlling an oscillator, but when I'd turn it off, it'd sometimes be high, sometimes be low (makes sense now). When are other good uses?

3) How often do you want to use an op amp (like TL074) on outputs? I see it in a number of schematics, but is this just for listening? If I have a mixer at the end that uses an op amp, do I need to worry about it?

I also have some ideas and am unsure if some builds already exist. Namely, I'm looking for a PWM and a chorus effect (ideally separate pieces, so I can understand them).

Thank you again everyone for your help and ideas. I'm loving this!
dk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are certainly more knowledgeable people here than me, but:

1) Generally, yes. Since a lot of the circuits here are "CMOS chips wired directly to the panel", you could theoretically get away with not having them, but tossing on a 1K resistor on the output can save you from replacing chips whenever you accidentally patch something inappropriately (ie output to output), which inevitably happens to everyone at some point or another.

2) That's more or less all they're used for. You can also think of it as the pulldown presetting an input. Some inputs you might want high or low when nothing is plugged in... pullup or pulldown resistors make it happen. Such is the case where you use a chip that will only output signal when an enable pin is held high, etc.

3) It depends on the circuit. Circuits with digital ouputs (either high or low, for simplicity) don't need them. In a bigger, more complex system (ie not a Lunetta), you often see them as comparators on the inputs to condition the signal for the digital chips following them, but that's not a problem you'll run into much here. For circuits that spit out analog voltages such as non-square/pulse waveforms, CV, etc., they're a bit more necessary. Most CMOS chips will neither accept nor output non-digital signals, so op-amps are better suited for this role. The common exception to this are the 4049 and 4069 inverter chips, which can be set up to behave like opamps (although they tend to get warm and use a lot of current to do so).

PWM - Are you looking to modulate digital signals or analog? For digital, something along these lines is common. Specifically, U2a, U2c, and the cap and resistors between them. For analog, the simplest is to use an op-amp as a comparator. One input sets the threshold, the other is where you put your signal in. Whenever the signal is above the opamp will turn on.. when it's below, it'll turn off. A more in depth read can be found here.

Steveg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most CMOS chips have similar power limitations so if most of your inputs are CMOS you can potentially leave the current limiting resistor off of the output and only add it to inputs where it is needed. HOWEVER, if you do that you must be careful to never connect two outputs together! Generally it is safer to put a current limiting resistor on every output that goes to a patch bolt just in case.

A CMOS chip draws most current when it switches state. If your input is floating it can oscillate across the on/off boundary in response to any stray electrical field. Keeping inputs tied to either a proper output, or a pulldown (or pullup) resistor keeps the chip stable, especially for inputs like CE (chip enable).

Most Lunetta circuits do not need buffers. However if you are feeding some circuit that needs more current than the CMOS chip can supply then buffer your CMOS output (or the input of the following circuit) with an op-amp. However for Lunetta usage maybe a single transistor wired as an emitter follower would be simpler. Otherwise the only op-amps will be your mixer and maybe a downstream filter or effects circuit.

There are PWM oscillators in these pages. Chorus effects usually use bucket brigade delay chips. If you want one you won't find the circuits on these pages.
It is possible that you could make a rough square wave chorus effect using a few different variably clocked shift registers. Don't expect hi-fi!
dadinfinitum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, dk and steveg, thanks so much for the info. Again, learning all the time.

So, the takeaways, generally speaking, are:
1) current limiting resistors keep things safe and are good to have
2) pulldown/pullup resistors are primarily for default states
3) opamps before an output are good/necessary for analog outputs, not necessarily digital outputs

(all of this with the usual disclaimer of read the schematic/datasheets, and try it out if you're unsure)
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

my 2% for what it's worth

Quote:
1) Reading this great post, is using a current limiting resistor always a good idea on an output?

As has been mentioned, it's not needed but recommended. Not just for when you accidentally connect outputs together but also (and this is a bigger risk)
when you connect an output to gnd. Doing this by mistake might not happen often, although with a spaghetti of patchcables that can and most
likely will happen, but what is more likely is that a cable touches a grounded surface, for example a metal case that is grounded. If you use phono jacks
it's actually impossibe not to touch GND when pluggin/unplugging. Also if you connect seperate systems together that use different violtages it can offer
a little bit of extra protection against overvoltage, thouh this should generally be handled on the input side. As you might have seen I also put diodes on
the outputs, because of that connecting mutliple outputs together is actually a feature (works like an OR gate together with the pulldown resitors on an input).
In it's most primal form lunetta synths just have logic chips with all the pins wired directly to a frontpanel, maybe with te occasional pulldown resistor on
inputs to make things a bit more convenient.

Quote:
2) I learned on my own (before reading about it, hah) when a good use for a pulldown resistor would be - I had a switch for controlling an oscillator, but when I'd turn it off, it'd sometimes be high, sometimes be low (makes sense now). When are other good uses?

Great that you found that out yourself Very Happy sometimes people can struggle a bit with the concept of floating inputs. As mentioned pulldown resistors basically
just add a preset state to inputs for which you still want to be able to change the state. The only other purpose I can think of right now is when using chips
that can have a high impedance output state like muxes, switches (4066 and the like) and tri-state devices.

Quote:
3) How often do you want to use an op amp (like TL074) on outputs? I see it in a number of schematics, but is this just for listening? If I have a mixer at the end that uses an op amp, do I need to worry about it?

no worries, it's all fun and games,. untill you release the magic smoke that is, and you don't have anything to replace it and it's late and you really want to
get the circuit functioning after working on it for days on end and you just burned yourself with the soldering iron and earlier that day had to pull a partial
component lead out of your foot,..

Opamps are usefull as buffers and most modern one are protected against shorting the output. More importantly they can sink/source more current
than a standard CMOS chip. You could use a transistor for this, as Steveg mentioned, but they can only source or sink not both. Though that would basically
be the same as having a diode on the output so it not necessarily a bad thing. Transistors are also great for driving LEDs. One situation where an opamp
on the output is very useful is if you use any diode logic directly before an output. You could use a logic gate for this if you have a spare one, but otherwise
an opamp is usually more convenient. Another situation where an opamp comes in useful is for level shfting. For my lunetta synth I generally use 12V for
output and input levels (or whatever voltage my supply spits out), but my (analog) modular system uses 5V for gates and triggers. If I design a circuit
for that which uses logic chips I could supply the chip with 5V, but that's a hassle if the rest of the circuit runs on 12V/15V and also the output current of a
CMOS chip is much lower on 5V. What works better is to use a voltage divider (made with 2 resistors) on the output and buffer it with an opamp.
For example to get from 12V to 5V a 47K + 33K resistor combination works nicely.

Quote:
I also have some ideas and am unsure if some builds already exist. Namely, I'm looking for a PWM and a chorus effect (ideally separate pieces, so I can understand them).

Can't really help you with the chorus,. but one very simple way of creating PWM control is with an XOR gate, a potentiometer, a diode and a capacitor.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

The downside of this circuit is that the dutycyle is frequency dependent, but it is a nice feature to add when using a 4046 as a VCO since that one
has a build in XOR gate. Note that the circuit was posted in this CMOS PWM thread together with some other PWM circuits.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And as a side note: pull-up / down resistors on inputs can be zero ohms.
dadinfinitum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
Another situation where an opamp comes in useful is for level shfting. For my lunetta synth I generally use 12V for
output and input levels (or whatever voltage my supply spits out), but my (analog) modular system uses 5V for gates and triggers. If I design a circuit
for that which uses logic chips I could supply the chip with 5V, but that's a hassle if the rest of the circuit runs on 12V/15V and also the output current of a
CMOS chip is much lower on 5V. What works better is to use a voltage divider (made with 2 resistors) on the output and buffer it with an opamp.
For example to get from 12V to 5V a 47K + 33K resistor combination works nicely.

Been a minute since I've been here. I'm curious about this (and something similar.

Let's say I'm working with a +/-12v split rail, and want to connect a CMOS module (for example, a CD4031 tap looper).

With regards to powering the chip, is it as simple as connecting the +12v and GND? Or is there something more I need to do?

With the output, how would I use an opamp to send out a voltage that is adequate enough for other modules that need a bigger signal?

Been having a lot of fun learning about this.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, you can just power it from +12V and GND. What you will have to watch out for is negative voltages on the inputs which you can get rid of with a single diode.
You can also add another diode or use a zener for that matter to protect inputs from overvoltage.

As for outputs, if you power a CMOS chip with +12V then the output voltage will be close to that already. If however you use a lower voltage and need to boost it
you can use an opamp configured as a comparator which you power from the voltage you want the output to be.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dadinfinitum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
yes, you can just power it from +12V and GND. What you will have to watch out for is negative voltages on the inputs which you can get rid of with a single diode.
You can also add another diode or use a zener for that matter to protect inputs from overvoltage.

Awesome, thanks! One last (probably obvious) question: where exactly are the diodes being placed in the schematic, and in what direction? I'm still trying to really wrap my head around this part.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sure, take your pick.

The left one is the most basic one which will only protect against negative voltages not overvoltage.
It works fine if your whole system uses the same voltage but not if for example your CMOS circuit is powered with +5V
and you connect +12V (or anything >+5V) to an input. There is also a voltage drop caused by the diode but it's only about
0.6V for silicium and you can reduce it to about 0.3V if you use a schottky diode.

The middle one does protect against both negative and overvoltage, I would recommend using schottky diodes for this method.
note that this is often already integrated into CMOS chips but that's only for very low currents and to protect against electrostatic
discharge.

The right one also protects against both with the help of a single zenerdiode but can require a bit more current to function properly.

CMOS input protection.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.54 KB
 Viewed:  187 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

CMOS input protection.gif

Page 2 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: