electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
help needed: switching caps in most basic low pass circuit
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Estebandito

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: help needed: switching caps in most basic low pass circuit
Subject description: I am switching capacitors with a mux and want to get rid of clicks
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
I have a very basic low pass filter circuit in which I use a 4051 multiplexer to switch capacitors. This works quite nicely apart from audible clicks whenever I switch from one to the next. I have tried polarised as well as ceramic caps but the issue remains. Anybody have any ideas on how to eliminate them?
[/img]

664778B5-2549-4EB6-AB4D-BAE0CDD4B8AB.jpeg
 Description:
the circuit
 Filesize:  17.61 KB
 Viewed:  4402 Time(s)

664778B5-2549-4EB6-AB4D-BAE0CDD4B8AB.jpeg

Steveg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could put another low pass filter downstream from that one to filter the clicks.
You could also try setting the capacitors up so that the lowest value is always in circuit in parallel with the 4051 and its previous MUX position is left unconnected. If exact values are important you will need to reduce the other capacitor values by the value of the fixed capacitor.
it might also help to have a single capacitor value and use the 4051 to switch the resistors.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It probably helps to sync the switching to some signal level. That way the capacitors will always have more or less the same voltage when a switch occurs.

To do this you will need to make a voltage detector, the voltage detector should control a latch then to only pass the changed ABC control signals when a certain voltage is being detected.

This should better things up a lot, but will probably not completely get rid of the clicks, as the analog switches do have some leakage current which will alter the voltage on the caps after some time.

This would depend on how long the filter is left in a fixed state (i.e for rapid switching the clicks should be less prominent).

As an asside, for better working you better take the output from after the resistor (instead of before it as shown in your drawing).

Oh, and resistor switching (as Steveg mentioned) probably works better too.

Estebandito

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your answers, I will try out those suggestions - I have a feeling switching resistors might be the best solution.
dk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just out of curiosity, would it make a difference if the caps were on the other side of the mux? ie., the resistor would always be attached to all the caps, the mux would select which one connects to ground. I'd assume this would have an effect on the frequency of the filter (at the very least at the time of switching), but would it eliminate the clicking?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dk wrote:
[...]would it make a difference[...]

The altered circuit would behave exactly the same. The clicks come from a sudden current spike due to a voltage jump over the caps, and that would still happen in the same way.

Dunno, maybe it helps to look at it like this ...

Code:

+---------+
  o--|         |-----+----+----+----o
     +---------+     |    |    |
                    /    /    /
                     |    |    |
                    ---  ---  ---
                    ---  ---  ---
                     |    |    |
                     |    |    |
  o------------------+----+----+----o

+---------+
  o--|         |-----+----+----+----o
     +---------+     |    |    |
                    ---  ---  ---
                    ---  ---  ---
                     |    |    |
                    /    /    /
                     |    |    |
                     |    |    |
  o------------------+----+----+----o

dk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gotcha, thanks for answering! For some reason, I had thought that maybe the caps being unable to discharge would help smooth said spikes out, as opposed to the caps being left tied to ground when switched out. I guess it sounded nice, despite being totally unrealistic Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: