electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
DIY portable amp project
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Ruebezahl

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: DIY portable amp project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone. So i have a little project i am working on and hope to get some help here, although it is not a synth. I hope i found the right section for this topic, please feel free to move it, if it doesn't belong here.

So while cleaning out the basement i found this speaker, without corresponding amp. It’s a nice size, and i thought to turn it into some kind of portable amp, kind of guitar-style amp, although i don’t have a guitar. But i would definitely like to include a preamp circuit strong enough to amplify contact mics and the like. Anyway, the preamp circuit i think i will not have too much trouble, for now there are a couple of fields where i have not much experience, so i will need some help:

Batteries: So i have this broken tablet, which batteries are still fine though. So i planned to use those for the amp. They are two packs and rated for 3,85v and 32Wh (each block 15.55Wh) and 8320mAh, however, fully charged i measured 4,35V, which seems normal for Lithium Batteries from what i read. With the battery pack there is a little circuit board with a few super small components, but it is very hard to make out what it is. I figure it is some protection circuit, but i don’t think i could connect a usb cable directly to there, since in the tablet it is also not like this. The usb socket for charging it is on the mainboard. Anyway from this little circuit board there are leading 8 cables to the mainboard. 3 red ones, three black ones, a green and a blue one. The red and black ones are all connected with each other, they are just the positive and the negative rail. Why they have three cables i am not sure. The blue and green i am not sure, i suppose they are for charging the batteries? But when i measured them while charging, they were giving some kind of low unstable voltages.

Well, anyway, i guess the easiest way would be to just replace this little circuit board with my own charging circuit. I found this cheap module in an electronic store here, it is rated for 3,7V, probably for those standard 18650 Lithium Ion Batteries. Perhaps not enough for the tablet battery, that is rated at 3,8 but goes until 4,35 when full. On the other hand apparently the 18650s will also go up to 4,2 when fully charged, so perhaps the difference is negligible. I would appreciate if somebody has some more information on that, since i am not so familiar with it. If it would just mean that the batteries wouldn’t charge to the absolute maximum, perhaps it would be okay. A more important question might also be if this module could handle those laptop batteries watt and ampere wise. The output of the batteries will not go through the module anyway i guess, so should be fine i suppose?!

Stepping up voltage: Another problem i will have to solve is how to step up the voltage. Since the laptop batteries only deliver 4,35V at the very max, that’s not suitable to power a 5-8W Amp. Probably i will need something like 12V. Again i found a cheap module that can step the voltage from anywhere between 3,5 and 18v up to 4 to 24v. is this what they call a buck converter? It is based around a chip XL6009E1. I heard before that buck converter are noisy or something, Would it be suitable to drive an amplifier circuit from it?

The last problem is the Amplifier itself. It is a bit more familiar terrain, but still i have a few open questions. I am tempted to go with a finished module here too, but i could also go with my own design, if the available one turns out to be not suitable. So i found one for around 3$, which sounds very cheap. It looks very simple, is based on a LA4422 Chip and is rated for 8W. Besides the sound quality, which i don’t expect magic for this price, but of course hope it’s not super noisy or something, i wonder about two major concerns: Watt and Impedance, bot of which i don’t totally grasp yet.

So for the Watt, in the speaker box there are two speakers, which have different Watt limits. The big one is nominal 5W, max 8W. The small one is nominal 2 W, max 5W. So does that mean i can only run maximum 5 W through them, before the small one burns? Or are they kind of just taking what they need? How to solve this, that the two speakers have so different requirements? They are obviously ment to be driven by the same amp, like you can see they are in series, only seperated by a capacitor, which does the frequency filtering i suppose.

Then for the Impedance, when i check the datasheet for the LA4422, the examples all have a 4 Ohm speaker. But the two speakers together, have an Impedance of 4+3,2=7.2 Ohm . Is that acceptable? Or is there a way to exchange some parts in the amp circuit in order to make it more suitable for higher impedance speakers?

battery with mainboard.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.61 KB
 Viewed:  209 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

battery with mainboard.jpeg

batterypack open.jpeg
 Description:
Here i removed the tape, so you can see the small circuit board, which i suppose could be some kind of charger circuit...
 Filesize:  126.91 KB
 Viewed:  202 Time(s)

batterypack open.jpeg

batterypack specs.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.75 KB
 Viewed:  219 Time(s)

batterypack specs.jpeg

speakers.jpeg
 Description:
the speaker i found, with only a cap in between... not the most sophisticated frequency crossover i suppose?
 Filesize:  175.73 KB
 Viewed:  210 Time(s)

speakers.jpeg

usb charger.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.3 KB
 Viewed:  201 Time(s)

usb charger.jpeg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: DIY portable amp project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
So for the Watt, in the speaker box there are two speakers, which have different Watt limits. The big one is nominal 5W, max 8W. The small one is nominal 2 W, max 5W. So does that mean i can only run maximum 5 W through them, before the small one burns? Or are they kind of just taking what they need? How to solve this, that the two speakers have so different requirements? They are obviously ment to be driven by the same amp, like you can see they are in series, only seperated by a capacitor, which does the frequency filtering i suppose.

They are actually in parallel, at least I am pretty sure that the center connection on the larger speaker isn't actually connected to the speaker itself, it's just
an extra solderpoint for adding things. So the - goes to both speakers, the + goes directly to the large speaker and also through the capacitor to the small speaker.
This capacitor acts as a high pass filter. This also means that on average it will be getting a lot less of the signal than the larger one. I say on average because
it depends on what you put into it. If it's just some ordinary (human) music then most of the signal will be taken up by the lower frequencies and you'll probably
have some distortion in the low range before you'll damage the small speaker. However, if you would put a signal into it with mostly high frequencies (say from a synth)
then it is possible to damage it.

Quote:
Then for the Impedance, when i check the datasheet for the LA4422, the examples all have a 4 Ohm speaker. But the two speakers together, have an Impedance of 4+3,2=7.2 Ohm . Is that acceptable? Or is there a way to exchange some parts in the amp circuit in order to make it more suitable for higher impedance speakers?

Since they are in parallel the impedance is of course smaller, but the problem is that it is impedance and not resistance. ie it varies with frequency.
Because of the capacitor the average impedance will probably still be around 3 ohms but it's hard to tell without a datasheet for both speakers.
It does mention a 2 ohm load in the datasheet for the LA4422, so you should be fine as long as it doesn't get too hot, but it does have thermal protection.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot Phobos! And you are right indeed, they are in parallel, just like you said.
After your evaluation it sounds like i will buy this amp module. I think the risk is not too big, especially with this price. Perhaps i will keep the Watt in the lower registers, and try to not crank it up to the max, just to be safe.

I am still a bit unsure about the charging circuit and the step up module. Anyone, has some thoughts about it?

I tried to upload photos of the two modules, but somehow it just doesn't work. Is there some limit per user per day or something?

edit: hahaha actually the upload worked quite well, it uploaded the same picture 5 times, just forgot to tell me Laughing I will take care of this!

step up module.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.82 KB
 Viewed:  196 Time(s)

step up module.jpeg

amp module.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.22 KB
 Viewed:  206 Time(s)

amp module.jpeg

usb charger.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.3 KB
 Viewed:  207 Time(s)

usb charger.jpeg

Last edited by Ruebezahl on Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ruebezahl wrote:
Is there some limit per user per day or something?

No, and there is no max upload limit you are close to .. there can be five attachments in a post .. not all file extensions are allowed and there is a max size per file of 1GB .. so .. not sure what went wrong ...

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have any experience with using Li-Ion batteries so can't really comment on the use but be careful!
With 8Ah there's quite a lot of power packed into those when charged and you do indeed need some proper protective circuitry.
Not only for charging but also discharging in case of a short. Also something to protect it against any physical damage.

This video might be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIWUYSDWjfk

edit: there is a difference between Li-Ion and LiPO (which is also a Li-Ion) but you do the research.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sven

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY portable amp project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ruebezahl wrote:
Again i found a cheap module that can step the voltage from anywhere between 3,5 and 18v up to 4 to 24v. is this what they call a buck converter?

Hello,

no this is a boost converter. A buck converter is a step down converter. Both are called DC/DC or DCX to DC converters and more noisy than a linear power supply.

Since you want a portable amp I would suggest looking for a Class D amplifier because they are more efficient.

This for example would run from your battery without a DC/DC converter https://www.ebay.de/itm/153260347027?hash=item23af074e93:g:UoUAAOSwYIpb6~lv

This one is stereo so you can drive both speakers. Just use two 1kOhm resistors on the inputs to feed it your mono signal. https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=PAM8403&_sacat=0

Depending on the size of your loudspeakers and the design of your box 1-2 Watts can be loud enough.
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I don't have any experience with using Li-Ion batteries so can't really comment on the use but be careful!
With 8Ah there's quite a lot of power packed into those when charged and you do indeed need some proper protective circuitry.
Not only for charging but also discharging in case of a short. Also something to protect it against any physical damage.

This video might be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIWUYSDWjfk

edit: there is a difference between Li-Ion and LiPO (which is also a Li-Ion) but you do the research.

Thanks for the warning. I was vaguely aware of it, but this video is demonstrating the importance of this very well. I will definitely read more about it, and perhaps refrain from using the charging module, since the documentation with it is very sparse, and i am not 100% sure if it is safe to use. Especially after the video mentions that if the voltage goes UNDER a certain limit it's also dangerous. So a charging circuit that is meant for other batteries, 0,1V less than the ones i have COULD be a risk (Although i doubt it). Perhaps something were i can find good documentation will be better.

Quote:
no this is a boost converter. A buck converter is a step down converter. Both are called DC/DC or DCX to DC converters and more noisy than a linear power supply.

Since you want a portable amp I would suggest looking for a Class D amplifier because they are more efficient.

This for example would run from your battery without a DC/DC converter https://www.ebay.de/itm/153260347027?hash=item23af074e93:g:UoUAAOSwYIpb6~lv

This one is stereo so you can drive both speakers. Just use two 1kOhm resistors on the inputs to feed it your mono signal. https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=PAM8403&_sacat=0

Depending on the size of your loudspeakers and the design of your box 1-2 Watts can be loud enough.

Thanks for the info and the suggestion. Class D amplifier sounds great, not sure if it has any downside, sounds like it is super ennergy efficient and differences in sound quality seem to be merely on a theoretical level.

So this module you linked doesn't seem to be able to implement a volume control. The final Volume would be controlled through a voltage divider before the amp stage i suppose, thus just controlling the input level.

I will do some research what i can find near me. Shipping from Germany is super expensive. Here in Taiwan i am actually very close to the source of many things, but that everything is in chinese makes it much harder for me to browse through the selection. And physical stores are often even harder, if you don't know EXACTLY what you are looking for. But anyway, your suggestions gave me a good hint what to look for, thanks!

Sven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you search Ebay for PAM8403 you find a lot modules shipped from China. Some have volume potentiometers. My link didn't work as intended Sad

Good luck Very Happy
Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sven wrote:
If you search Ebay for PAM8403 you find a lot modules shipped from China. Some have volume potentiometers. My link didn't work as intended Sad

Good luck Very Happy

I went to my local store today, and besides the amp module i posted before, they happened to have exactly this module as well, with pot! Smile For under 2$, and no need to wait for it, great! Thanks for the tip, i will try later with the battery and the speakers how the performance is...

Ruebezahl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So i tried it now, and wow, for 4,3V and such a small amp, that's quite impressive! I think i will stick to this solution. However, i felt the sound was a bit too much highs, and not enough bass. I will add a little EQ circuit before the amp anyway, but i was thinking since the small speaker already has a highpassfilter though the one capacitor (i kept that feature), is it possible to give the big speaker a simple low pass filter with a resistor and a capacitor to ground? Like after the amp, and only for the big one. Or doesn't it work that way?

Another thing i spent way more time than i expected figuring out is the preamp. I will probably use the speaker for playing my synths, or just music from my phone or whatever, for that i obviously don't need any preamp. But i would also like to be able to amplify my xaphoon, which i pickup with a contact mic. Now i found some schematics for a special preamp for contact mics, but they call for 9V, and i wonder if it will work with this power supply as well, any thoughts on that? Would this preamp also be okay for magnifying guitar pickups, or microphones? Obviously there is always some drawback, and there is a reason why these different tools all have different preamps, but a preamp that works BEST for contact mics, but OKAY for other stuff that would be the greatest. Any thoughts about that are appreciated.

https://www.instructables.com/Guitar-Contact-Microphone-Preamp/

I would like to have two inputs, which i can choose for preamp or direct. And then mix those two channels, perhaps active with a 4069UB (because i am more familiar with cmos) or with opamps if that has any advantage(although i am a noob with opamps, and i think opamps like a big voltage range, usually even bipolar, are there opamps that work nicely with less than 5V?)

btw, this is the bass/treble EQ i want to include. I alreadz tested it on breadboard, and i am pretty happy with it, for such a simple passive circuit!

http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/bass-treble-tone-control-circuit

Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: