electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
303 cloning, Envelope challenge, DIY envelopes+Filters
Page 3 of 4 [79 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice one..fat and elastic
8BitVertigo

G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: 303 Model with Midi input Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Changed the front end inputs to run off a sequencer output. Haven't ironed out all of the bumps yet, but it seems to be close to working.

Enter your 1/16th note pattern and use the velocity to switch between a plain note / slides / accents.

Plain note - 0-59
Slide note - 60-79
Accent note - 80-99
Slide & Accent - 100-127

303Mk7Midi.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  303Mk7Midi.prf2
 Filesize:  8.66 KB
 Downloaded:  1676 Time(s)

303Mk7Midi.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  303Mk7Midi.prf2
 Filesize:  8.66 KB
 Downloaded:  1698 Time(s)

8BitVertigo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: New 303 Noodle Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two 303s + Drums

303Mk7Midi-Seq4.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  303Mk7Midi-Seq4.prf2
 Filesize:  15.89 KB
 Downloaded:  1667 Time(s)

303Mk7Midi-Seq4.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  303Mk7Midi-Seq4.prf2
 Filesize:  15.89 KB
 Downloaded:  1670 Time(s)

sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Firstly I would like to congratulate you all on all your hard work on this post. Very Happy I have been following it from a distance, taking a look at new posts every now and then.

A while back, I was playing around with a basic patch, I added some overdrive and lo and behold, I found myself playing with a reasonable 303 sound. Now, I haven't gone into the depths that you guys have for accuracy of sound and control, but I feel that the patch sounds fairly convincing as it is and as we all know, saving DSP on a G2 is fairly important.

The point is that possibly your patches have become too accurate and in the process become too big and complicated (for me anyway). It might of course be that as I didn't build them, I didn't fully understand them, but it just occurred to me that reasonable enough 303(ish) sounds can be achieved/patched much easier/quicker/DSP lighter... I suppose not every 303 line will utilise all of the control mechanisms that you provided.

I am aware that the point of this post was to create an as realistic 303 sound as possible, but I just thought that I would share my (simple?) discovery with the 303 enthusiasts that have also been following this post.

Anyway, I'm not putting down your attempts by any means, but instead just offering a lighter (maybe not as accurate sounding) version of a 303 sound. I have recently posted it in a performance here: http://electro-music.com/forum/post-86890.html#86890 with other less 303-like sounds, but have also taken the main sound and put in some basic drums and attached it below. The 303 sound generation modules are red and the rest of the control modules for it are yellow. The rest are for the drums.

I have also attached a 'Lite' version with just the 303 sound, its sequencer and some basic modulation options... it comes in at around 20% load. Cool

303 Lite.pch2
 Description:
'Lite' version with just the 303 sound, its sequencer and some basic modulation options... it comes in at around 20% load.

Download
 Filename:  303 Lite.pch2
 Filesize:  1.81 KB
 Downloaded:  2026 Time(s)

A 303 type Sound.pch2
 Description:
A DSP light 303 type sound, sequenced with basic drums.

Download
 Filename:  A 303 type Sound.pch2
 Filesize:  8.82 KB
 Downloaded:  2032 Time(s)

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
8BitVertigo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject:  New 303 Model
Subject description: Sequenced 303 engine
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Latest version.....see what you think.

Mk8.303_Seq1.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mk8.303_Seq1.pch2
 Filesize:  5.72 KB
 Downloaded:  1656 Time(s)

8BitVertigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: TB303 Model
Subject description: Correction to number of poles used in filter
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Added correct number of poles with first pole lowered to give a similar effect (I think) to the 303 diode ladder - 24db with more like an 18db response.

Mk8.303_Seq1_4pole.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mk8.303_Seq1_4pole.pch2
 Filesize:  5.93 KB
 Downloaded:  1816 Time(s)

W.T.

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great 303 like sound!
3phase

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So... I started another go... Robs great Diode Clipper building block seems to provide the solution to get the filter screaming...A solution where each pole is done by one of Robs Blocks is way to expensive but even a single pole done in Robs design brings the whole filter sound a good step in the direction of the 303 sound...

I post my interim workbase version of the 303 filter because there are some points that are in discussion somehow...

For example it seems important, to get the filter nasty in a similar fashion to the 303, that not all poles get modulated in high resonance settings..i wonder if this is backed up by the circuit diagram or if in the real thing maybe the poles react different to modulation when being in resonance?
The attached filter try is rather modelled by ear than the circuit diagram..
And its still not tuned to behave like the real one... Just a try to get enough aggressive potential to fil the mod range of a real 303.

I got out after the 3rd pole...(robs diode clipper to the left) while the fourth pole is just in the feedback path..(diode clipper to the right) without env modulation...

I wonder if something like that is somehow backed up in the circuit diagram.. May anybody with a deeper electronic knowledge might have a look ?

http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/TB-303/schematics/...

Another finding in the challenge for the 303 filter is, that it seems to be necessary to imply much bigger delays in the feedback loop as provided within the standard filter modules to get the resonance into it screaming state...
I wonder why? are there really such big time offsets within a diode ladder filter like the 303´s one?
Are there other ideas how to get the scream without the delay module?
It don't stops resonating and need extra circuit to be controlled...

Still quite a bit of way to go..But thanks to Rob it seems more possible than ever to get the bloody 303 filter finally hacked with the G2...

In all the 3030 trys sofar the high resonant settings never got aggressive enough tro match with the real thing...

When you switch of env modulation you will see that this patch here gets very aggressive...

Next step for me is to give the quirky envelop mod of the 303 another go... I just lent the devilfish again..And the real thing is really a monster with its control ranges and control depth..

A thing none of the 303 emus sofar is providing...you get nice 303 alike sounds..most of the time even more interesting than the 1000 times heard real 303 sound...but you never have the playability of the real thing..the wow factor when turning the knobs needs to be emulated...#

for the time being thios expensive filtermodule is strong enough...weakest bit in the chain are the envelope mod problems now...

303 FiltBase 1.2.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  303 FiltBase 1.2.pch2
 Filesize:  4.38 KB
 Downloaded:  1808 Time(s)

3phase

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some more 303 facts...

Env Mod...

-The ModEnvelope adds to the Filter cutoff via the accent amount knob...
-The mod envelope adds and subtracts from the filter cutoff via the ENV MOD knob... means it travels from positve to negative values

ACC to VCA

The accent amount to the level of the vca is actually a parallel feed modulated by the Mod envelope..so the 303 actually has 2 VCA envelopes that get mixed before the output..therefore there are situations where accented notes can sound longer than normal ones and even when the machine is not triggering...

So roland managed it to let a machine with 2 envelopes sound like one with 4. Plus an extra modulation gimmick... the:

ACC sweep circuit.

Is feeded by the Mod Env via the accent amount knob.
The amount of its part in the mixture with the mod env signal is adjusted with a parallel pot to the resonance knob. This extra (stereo-pot) pot also adjusts the load and release behavior of the accent sweep circuit.
So accent sweep build ups behave different related to the resonance amount.

The devilfish overdrive function...

The Overdrive is generated before the filter... It cuts low and high frequencies when driven hard..the saw wave gets pretty early a similar shape that the 303s square wave but on a much higher level that forces the filter to become less resonant because of the overload..

OSC PW

The 303 has pulsewidth modulation..

The square is created by clipping the saw... it seems that the control voltage is somehow leaking thru and i guess this is not an accident...
The pulsewidth of the resulting wave is variating around 15%-20% over the 303 key range...
3phase

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok... The 303Frame part 2.

An optimized version of the 303 Frame that gives the desired sequencer functionality... Very expensive... but ... It gets closer to the 303 feel that way and maybe clavia comes up wit a module that can access the knob and button independently... Now 8 sequencers have too play that role that one module should have..

Anyway.. After many trys i streamlined the 303Frames user interface3 and conception..Parameter set reflects a devifish 303...
Sequencer in slot C... Slot D holds the sequencer and parameter controls aswell as a bulky 303 simulation try...
The important part is the control interaction between slot D and C...

While the knobs of D A1 control the basic 303 parameters the first 6 buttons select Variation 1-6 in Slot C...There is a feed back from slot C to Slot D.
Button 7and 8 transpose the sequencer ... changing the pattern removes the transpose like in the real 303...

This whole mimic gives a pretty good 303 feel regarding knob twiddling while changing patterns and doing transposes...
Very much what the 303 is about and a feature that might be good to perform other sounds aswell.
The pattern change/transpose is quantized..either on 16th notes or bars...

The bulky 303 simulation try within the performance contains all essential features of a devilfish 303..but it again don't sounds like one...
somewhere in the night yesterday i had the same patch sounding close...
But as soon i changed some things to introduce the control mechanism everything went online..and i haven't done a safe Sad...
I will update this at a later point..but because its christmas and i like to stop that shit for now I share the nice working sequencer network now ..

However... The attached perf at least gets closer to the real thing regarding the handling as any other 303 patch on the g2 sofar...

The essential frame network takes less tahn one dsp...so for me it probably pays of to build patches around the frame and try different sequencers and sound engines...

Maybe others like to do so aswell

303Frame III.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  303Frame III.prf2
 Filesize:  28.5 KB
 Downloaded:  1705 Time(s)

3phase

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And a stripped down version..

just the basic 303 building blocks set to function without unnecessary modelling and the 303 Frame...

therefore its easier to see what is going on...

Not 100% confirmed yet but the 303 model should be very close to that what is really going on on the machine..

I will try now to model the ballistics wright and do acoustic modeling later..
should have done this before...
The rough structure first..than the details...
You however learn what is going on when you model details...

303FrIII Model1.prf2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  303FrIII Model1.prf2
 Filesize:  22.94 KB
 Downloaded:  1713 Time(s)

bantri

G2 patch files: 32

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: modification of the lite version Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here´s a different way of entering notes on the 303 lite
have fun Smile

303_lite_598(bantri).pch2
 Description:
303 lite modification to enter notes in a different way

Download
 Filename:  303_lite_598(bantri).pch2
 Filesize:  2.93 KB
 Downloaded:  1400 Time(s)

Neon Sega

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's interesting
& 303 for G2 theme alive a year later!
3phase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aslong a real 303 still wins it stays actual somehow...
But there are other things to patch than the perfect 303...
I am however still convinced that its possible..Its just very hard to hack how the parameters of a real 303 interact...

The other 303 clones out there dont get this wright aswell... at least not the ones i know... however...maybe in the winter again Wink
bantri

G2 patch files: 32

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: fun with 303 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

still looking for the perfect virtual 303 sound Smile
with this patch i´ve got VERY CLOSE to the one used in a music i like from infected mushroom´s merlin
posted here

303_lite_598(bantri-IM-Merlin).pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  303_lite_598(bantri-IM-Merlin).pch2
 Filesize:  3.3 KB
 Downloaded:  1573 Time(s)

Neon Sega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

by the way, a G2 performance with xox beatmachine with glitch kranhjek-like FX +303 still very needy
all in manner, that require no computer to insert notes and drums, may be in realtime - that must be the same 2 prepare G2 for spring and summer ))
8BitVertigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: 303 Mutations Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Been a while since I messed with this setup. Ran this through mutator and here's the result.

Mk8.303_Seq3_4pole.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Mk8.303_Seq3_4pole.pch2
 Filesize:  5.98 KB
 Downloaded:  1619 Time(s)

Rivelen

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi all!
I'm also looking for that TB acid sound Twisted Evil !
I previously sent a version of that patch in another thread but, by reading further topics, i realize i still had lot of work to do..so i did..
the tb isn't so easy to emulate!
here is my interpretation that include the different tips i found..
it's still not over but sound quite good now, i think.. can do acid lines..

any improvement welcome!

regards

Rivelen

tea bee.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  tea bee.pch2
 Filesize:  8.85 KB
 Downloaded:  1633 Time(s)

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really cool Rivelen.

Nice sound indeed. Smile

kcinsu

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could you post an audio example? I'd really like to hear this!

Unfortunately I've recently moved (east to west coast!) and I am yet to ship out my gear. I'm going through serious withdraw...

I am using the demo editor to ease the pain, but my laptop is old, and chokes quickly. And this patch won't even run. The voice count is in the red.

Sad
Rivelen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here are two sample...
i hope you get back your gear soon..

tea bee 23.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  tea bee 23.mp3
 Filesize:  909.41 KB
 Downloaded:  1289 Time(s)

tea bee 2.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  tea bee 2.mp3
 Filesize:  1.12 MB
 Downloaded:  1246 Time(s)

kcinsu

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey, thanks!

Sounds really nice!
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it's so great this thread is still alive and growing, cause 303 flaw is one of the key parts of techno electronics up to now 2 mymind. it's so pity I have no enough knowledge to develop 303-like instrument myself, but support others success

Great sounding examples, great patches
Do this patches have all or most main capabilities of 303 sequencer-vice? sound-vice? Or them sounds nice but limited in something compared to 303?
Rivelen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for your kind words Very Happy !
Neon Sega, this patch has the basic sequencing capabilities of the 303 : note, trig, accent, slide.
it's a 16 step basic sequencer + some extra switchable sequencers to had more trigs, accents, slides, arpeggio, octave .. which make it quite playable..
The thing you can't do with this one is chaining the patterns... on the G2 it's not easy to do so with a one slot patch...(an "exclude from variations" option would be great for that!)
Anyway, even if we cannot do an exact copy of the TB, the goal is to make a patch that sounds good and which is easy to tweak and play.. and the G2 can do that!
Neon Sega

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rivelen wrote:
the goal is to make a patch that sounds good and which is easy to tweak and play.. and the G2 can do that!

Is it mean, I can assign more controllers in your patch or another patch from this thread and play/program it in live situation like a 303?

I'm actually not a purist sound-vice, but I'd like actually to have an ability to study 303-realtime technics before I'll mind try to buy a 303
but may be G2 303-like patch better to play? May be such patch able to have not less, but more options, then 303?
I don't can play 303 - never had one.
It's seemed to me great to have a G2 patch with correctly assigned controllers=knobs + buttons & practice to play/program it in true/oldschool techno manner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSKs9dbmMRE&feature=related

like it's able in realtime with no presets like on 303 or 909/808 (next 2 steps for me)
Page 3 of 4 [79 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: