electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
The best way to make beautiful Goa/Trance gate effect ?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
onosendai

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: The best way to make beautiful Goa/Trance gate effect ? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello !

I don't know if you listen some Goa/Psychedelic Trance but they use a lot of gate effect to create crazy sound. I've tried to reproduce that with my G2 but i can reach the clean, cutting effect of pro tracks like Infected Mushroom does.

Have you some idea to work with ? What will you do to cut a trance lead sound into rythm part.

My 2 cent with this patch, but it's not exactly the effect i want.

GoaSetup.pch2
 Description:
I've tried to make gating effect... but it's not really that

This patch work with the demo.

Download
 Filename:  GoaSetup.pch2
 Filesize:  3.43 KB
 Downloaded:  1436 Time(s)

Last edited by onosendai on Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if i understand what you are going for (which i might not), i think what you want is to mash up the sound a bit more _before_ the gating. try something like this (which is just slightly modified from yours):
deknow

goasetuprevised.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  goasetuprevised.pch2
 Filesize:  3.58 KB
 Downloaded:  1816 Time(s)

onosendai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not exactly about the sound, it's much about how to trigger or gate the sound.

Go there : http://www.deezer.com/ search "infected mushroom", and listen the track "Ratio Shmatio". At 1.20, you will heard a sound triggered nicely... but i don't know how. Enveloppe ? Gate ? Just midi programming ? How do they create this "high-speed-cut-gate" effect witch i love but can't reproduce

EDIT : at 2.25, i love this gate effect ! Do they retrigger all the enveloppe or just gate the master volume in sync with a LFO ?
X-Electric

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

onosendai wrote:
at 2.25, i love this gate effect ! Do they retrigger all the enveloppe or just gate the master volume in sync with a LFO ?

Are you talking about that short lead-rush thingie? (I don't hear any other 'gated-lead-like' sounds there) If so, why do you imply it had to be done on a synthesizer? It could easily be a truncated lead attack sample played back on any sequencer with 32nd or 64th note fill.
onosendai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hum... maybe Very Happy Good clue.
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tried to listen to the sample you referred to, but it only goes up to 1min, so i can't hear what happens at 1min20sec.

deknow
emeleia

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: nothing's goasetup Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi, i have heard a lot this kind of effects on many trance songs. there are many ways for achieving what you want. actually i read on the web how infected does it with cubebase, but i don't use that sequencer, i use live. When i tried to do it i routed the track out of a Pad that i recorded on live and passed it through the g2. i used a gate module, that was controlled by seq modules, and filters modulated by env modules.

I made some changes to your patch maybe it is what you expected..

P.D. i think i will use this patch too Very Happy

cheers

Nothing-goasetup.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Nothing-goasetup.pch2
 Filesize:  4.18 KB
 Downloaded:  1329 Time(s)

emeleia

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

X-Electric wrote:
onosendai wrote:
at 2.25, i love this gate effect ! Do they retrigger all the enveloppe or just gate the master volume in sync with a LFO ?

Are you talking about that short lead-rush thingie? (I don't hear any other 'gated-lead-like' sounds there) If so, why do you imply it had to be done on a synthesizer? It could easily be a truncated lead attack sample played back on any sequencer with 32nd or 64th note fill.

I'm agree with that
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: